TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Busch Gardens Williamsburg (BGW BGE) Discussion Thread

P. 467: Media Town Hall Report

BGW is holding a job fair this Saturday at the Festhaus with seasonal positions opening up. If you'd like to attend, make sure you show up at the park early (entrance is at the employee lot). Last year, the park had to turn people away because the turnout was so large.

BGW is holding a job fair this Saturday at the Festhaus with seasonal positions opening up. If you'd like to attend, make sure you show up at the park early (entrance is at the employee lot). Last year, the park had to turn people away because the turnout was so large.

I was just reading BGWFans forum and people have said that it's very strict how you take a bus from Employee lot to the Festhaus and makes sure no one like gets away. Even if you did go, there wouldn't be much to see as most of the busiest work is probably in the show building.

So I attended the job fair today and it was pretty crazy. Not too chaotic, but the lines were still extremely long to get into the park and sign up for positions. As I expected, a lot of people got turned away (including me). As I was walking out, there was still a huge group of people waiting to get in.

On another note, V-bolt's got a crane sitting outside the area and it looks like something's going on around the show building, but I couldn't get a good look at it.

I'll probably head back to the park next week to get a job interview in. Wish me luck!

^Good luck!

The Daily Press (Newport News) mentioned Verbolten briefly today, but didn't really say much:

In addition to normal ride maintenance, work is ongoing on Verbolten, Busch Gardens newest roller coaster. Park spokesman Kevin Crossett said work is being completed on the ride's track and associated structures. Various theme elements of the indoor/outdoor ride are still being designed and constructed.

This was in an article about work on Williamsburg area attractions in general.

BGW may be closed until late March, but there is evidence that the switch to Coke has begun (picture posted on the park's Facebook page).

404294_228090877272918_100002160234894_525044_1664643198_n.jpg

Edited by cfc

Speaking of Verbolten, we just received this e-mail release from the park:

Busch Gardens installs FINAL

piece of multi-launch coaster track

Verbolten℠ Construction on Schedule and Ready to Open Late Spring

WILLIAMSBURG, Va. (Jan. 26, 2012) – Busch Gardens reached a major milestone Jan. 17 when a team of engineers and contractors bolted the final piece of Verbolten’s 2,835 feet of steel track into place. When it’s complete, Verbolten will take riders on an adrenaline-filled adventure through two high-speed electromagnetic launches, stunning sensory effects and a dizzying array of twists and turns for an out-of-this-world coaster experience.

“Work on Verbolten is progressing on schedule,” said Larry Giles, Busch Gardens’ vice president of engineering. “Completing the track is a major achievement. We still have a lot of work to do on the ride’s theme elements and special effects, but we anticipate the ride will be ready for a late spring opening.”

Construction on Verbolten began last summer. Crews worked day and night to prepare the grounds for Busch Gardens’ newest thrill attraction. Like the park’s other coasters, Verbolten uses the park’s natural hills and valleys to create a one-of-a-kind guest experience. The team poured concrete support structures and began installing the track last fall. They also constructed a special effects enclosure that conceals much of the coaster’s theme elements.

“The designers are creating an immersive environment that transports riders to the Black Forest,” Giles said. “The creative team behind Verbolten is now packing the building with special effects and surprise elements that will complete the illusion for riders.”

Artists have nearly completed the many theme elements that drive Verbolten’s ride narrative. The ride’s back story features a German couple who run a scenic driving tour business. As riders leave the station house, they quickly realize their scenic drive through the countryside has veered out of control. As they speed into the pitch-black enclosure, zoned areas take them on a journey through the forbidden Black Forest. Sound and lighting effects, graphic elements and the track itself disorient riders as they zoom through the inky darkness.

“Verbolten is not a typical roller coaster. It will be a completely immersive experience. Riders will be part of the story from the time they walk through the queue until they see their expressions on the photo and video monitors at the end of the ride.” Giles said.

The station house is nearly complete and the theme elements are being installed. Designers are scooping up authentic steamer trunks, old televisions, cabinets and other props to add a realistic feel to the ride.

Verbolten will feature five themed coaster trains that can each carry up to 16 passengers. The vehicles are modeled after a classic European roadster, and each train has its own personality. The first car has arrived at the park, and the remaining vehicles are being delivered over the next several weeks. The cars have built-in video cameras that will record passengers as they enjoy Verbolten. On-ride photos and videos of their experience will be made available at the end of the ride.

“We are really excited about the unique design elements incorporated in the coaster cars, and we look forward to unveiling them soon,” Giles said.

Verbolten is expected to open in late spring. It anchors the park’s newly rejuvenated Oktoberfest village, and joins Mäch Tower℠ as the park’s newest thrill attractions. Busch Gardens opens March 24 for the 2012 season. Park guests can follow the Verbolten construction process on http://www.buschgardens.com and http://www.facebook.com/buschgardens.

New video and photos can be found here:

https://www.buschgardensnews.com/page/verbolten

BO1020RK01_005HW.jpg.38a9ea2d74992d2daf4741bf8a90fc78.jpg

BO1104RK01_001HW.jpg.6b14510fb5d90ba2ffd7025296bbcdc2.jpg

BO1215RK01_008HW.jpg.d86a97f816c785b55c9dd47a407d0a78.jpg

BO1215RK01_019HW.jpg.985efd3bed6f3d7f314d6ad6b64de414.jpg

BO1223RK01_002HW.jpg.7c1b58d966d72ed4a6e76f44c455b3d8.jpg

BO1227RK01_017HW.jpg.96ed7a92e195e2a79c3b34ad8f451fa6.jpg

BP0105RK01_035HW.jpg.eb8e7b38c75809697431eee7fc28140b.jpg

BP0118RK01_002HW.jpg.55160df3b1d8a624b5acb44b729e655a.jpg

BP0118RK01_003HW.jpg.cd5e029db3f2eb2266cb8ceff74bd2b5.jpg

Edited by ernierocker

I like that the trains have video cameras on it - even though I would probably never have bought by HRRR video, it was a lot of fun to watch ourselves ride it! (Granted, on that one there's dancing involved...) I wonder if they'll only piece together your outdoor footage or if it'll show you with night-vision inside the Black Forest? Should be cool!!

Looks great, I'm still betting on this being the surprise hit new coaster of the season. Looks great to me. I guess my only complaint is I wish they would have found a way to kind of "plus" the final drop but instead this one looks a little smaller and less intense than the old BBW drop. I know it's kind of a dumb complaint especially considering the ride is more of a "family" coaster, but I'm sure the ride will still be fantastic. Can't wait.

I really need to put together a BGW/KD trip this summer, may be the last chance I have to take good coaster trip for a several years