Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 1467: "Halloween Marathon of Mayhem" HHN show announced!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Can I park my donkey here?

Re: Universal Orlando Discussion Thread

Postby OrlandoPete » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:49 pm

Wow, Orlando over the next few years is just getting crazy. It's going to be a fun decade!

Five babies drowned in a fire

Postby Skycoastin Steve » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:57 pm

Why don't they just get it over with and make these parks into Harry Potter theme parks? They couldn't ruin them much more as it is.......

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby AstroDan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:07 pm

Skycoastin Steve wrote:Why don't they just get it over with and make these parks into Harry Potter theme parks? They couldn't ruin them much more as it is.......

They made millions.
The public love it.
It's spectacular.
It's widely acclaimed as the best or one of the best dark rides ever built.

I'd hardly call it "ruining". The number of Brits alone flocking to visit these is staggering. It's all money coming out of one economy into another - and that must count for a lot.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:14 pm

^I think he was referring to IoA and UO as parks. Not the Harry Potter franchise.

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby AstroDan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:21 pm

Jew wrote:^I think he was referring to IoA and UO as parks. Not the Harry Potter franchise.

If that's the case, my bad!

:lol:

What is this, Joisey?

Postby Swimace » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:45 pm

I honestly don't think it's ruining the parks as much as a lot of people say. Frankly, I think the Potter thing is such a big craze that it's polarizing enthusiast's opinions to "omg excited" to "Universal is dead to me".

Am I the only one that doesn't think that IoA got drastically worse after Potter? Hulk, Poseidon, Dudley Do-Right, Jurassic Park, and Spiderman all got rehabs and now run better than before Potter came in. I mean, sure it's annoying that the GP now think of this as the "Harry Potter theme park".... and yeah I was bummed we lost the Lost Continent and Dueling Dragon's original queue line... but I don't think the loss of one queue line and a couple of huge statues "ruined the park"

And for the record, I'm sad Jaws is going. But if we're going to get an indoor coaster with theming that's on par with Forbidden Journey? We may be getting another one of the best themed thrill rides ever created. Again, I don't really get how that's going to ruin the park.

Honestly, I haven't read any of the HP books, I saw most of the movies and enjoyed them, but am far from fanatic about them. But if this is increases attendance and guest spending to the point that Universal wants to go ahead and add new $100 million+ attractions? Sure, go for it!

Just my opinion at least...

This donkey is a Know-it-All

Postby andyuk200523 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:47 pm

If Universal linked the two parks, wouldn't they be shooting themselves in the foot? At the moment, one group of tourists visit the Studios, one visit IoA and some will visit both (Great Income) If they link the two parks, aren't they just going to reduce their income? Either that or the ticket price will double?!
Andrew

Not sure when next trip is, however May/June 2013 - Canada Baby!!!!!

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:52 pm

^Or they'll just get everyone to buy the park-hopper ticket and make even more money. They'll probably just scan your ticket before you are allowed to board.

^^One area I noticed that has changed is the food and retail locations. It felt like it was impossible to find somewhere good to eat at IoA unless you eat before 4pm. This is obviously a business decision to match the crowd flow, but it was annoying for me personally.

They also raped Mythos menu to the point Dan and I chose not to eat there because none of the signature items were on the menu anymore, replaced by more generic items...
Last edited by Jew on Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:54 pm.

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:58 pm

My last two visits to the parks presented me with horrible operations and customer service, so much so that I really have no desire to return to these parks any time soon. It's blazing hot in FL, yet it's almost impossible to get something to drink early in the morning. Mythos's menu has been destroyed. Ride operations were pathetic (I was thinking Universal might have outsourced their employee training to Mount Olympus), and in general the parks seemed to be staffed by people that just don't care, especially at food locations.

One would hope that they would take the increased profits from Pottertown and put them into the upkeep of the parks and making sure they're staffed with quality employees instead of lining the vaults of corporate executives, but so far this does not seem like it's the case.

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby DBJ » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:59 pm

It's an Orlando theme park war! Disney, Sea World, and Universal all going for big expansions.

The linking of IOA to the Studios via Potter is certainly going to be one of the more interesting challenges. Can't wait to see how it is handled.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!