TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 623 - New Epic Universe details, including Celestial Park!

I would hope that they could use the London portion during HHN or even for other nonPotter attractions since it is supposed to be actual London and not some limited Potterised version. Knowing how uptight Rowling has been I doubt that will be the case

They can build a train on the backstage road. The tracks would be like a street car, when the train isn't there, the road operates as normal. Just like a normal train crossing. Our world doesn't come to a stand still when a train crosses a road or we follow a street car down the street, and it wont here either (if this is the route they take).

Just a side thought, I wonder if this expansion happens if they will attempt to use the new section during Halloween Horror Nights. Since IOA is usually closed during HHN you could conceivably transport guests of HHN to IOA where there is a Halloweened out Potter section with some additional Potter HHN Mazes maybe..... who knows.

That would be a big negative. If she will not allow coke products in the existing Potter World, there is no way in hell she is going to allow HHN to use those sections.

Change HHN's sponsor from Coke to Butter Beer, duh!

They can build a train on the backstage road. The tracks would be like a street car, when the train isn't there, the road operates as normal. Just like a normal train crossing. Our world doesn't come to a stand still when a train crosses a road or we follow a street car down the street, and it wont here either (if this is the route they take).

The problem with that is they would probably need multiple/long trains to keep up with capacity. Best solution would be to raise the track so all the traffic in the back lot can go on undisturbed.

^Thats possible as well. Though I could only see them doing that is there is enough, constant, back stage traffic to warrant that. And its only about a half mile one direction, I cant think the journey would take that long unless they extended the route to try and make it its own full ride.

What's to say that what people see out of their windows sitting on the train isn't what is actually outside of their windows though? Through some very simple display technology, (hypothetical) train riders could be looking at the English countryside while in reality passing by team members passing through the backlot during their breaks.

Creating an immersive experience out of this transport system could actually help mask the backlot pass-thru and increase the "story" aspect of the offering two-fold.

At an event as part of HHN I got to talk to one of the designers of HHN who also works on other projects around the park. As part of our discussion we talked about the limitations which the park is under because of Seuss landing, and the Harry Potter section. Basically they are not allowed to do a thing in either one. Even if the section to themed to London if its Harry Potter at all I can't see how it can be touched by HHN or any other event without permission.

Something else that was interesting we talked about was Strong Arm which became Forbidden Journey. He said that the studio where that work was done was being used by a new ride technology which he said the first we might hear anything about would be 2013.

I have seen several people talk about the land behind Jaws which I assume they are talking about the cleared land you see on Google maps behind jaws, MIB etc. This was sold to a developer maybe 2+ years ago. It has apartments on it now thelandmarkatuniversal.com/ which might place some limitations on what the replacement could be. If anyone here went to HHN they even made a joke about the apartments during the opening of Bill and Ted.

I am really torn on the whole Harry Potter being a possible replacement. I want to see what else Universal can do with Harry Potter. What they have built so far is pretty amazing. But I was pretty set on it being the replacement for the rest lost continent. It just seems odd to put it in both parks. But I have to wonder if JK Rowling would even let them build Diagon alley next to Hogsmeade. That is the one factor I think a lot of people ignore she has to agree to anything Universal builds.

But I have to wonder if JK Rowling would even let them build Diagon alley next to Hogsmeade.

Bingo! If she goes so far as to ban all soda products from being sold, then I wouldn't put it past her to have Universal change their original plan to build Phase II in the rest of Lost Continent. I still can't figure out how she let them put Olivander's Wand Shop in Hogsmeade. That has to drive her crazy at night.

^If JK has to approve everything Universal builds with Harry Potter, then I can't imagine once Diagon Alley is in place she'll want two Olivanders'. There's plenty of shops that the current Olivander's can be retrofitted as, and still sell the wands - but the experience of your wand "selecting" you moves to the Studios.

^Yeah, due to the insane popularity of it, it is a pretty safe bet that there will be two versions of Ollivander's after Phase II is complete.

One thing I am curious about is if they will eventually add the Ministry of Magic into the new London section. That could be potential for another dark ride if there is room in the expansion. In order to get into it, everyone has to be flushed down the toilet to hold true to the book.

Edited by ernierocker

The train could easily be doable from a crowd aspect. Have tickets for your train, and multiple loading rooms for different train times. It would be similar to the large groups at Sinbad.

However, I think motion sickness would be the bigger issue. Enclosing people in a train, with fake motion all around them, could be a problem. it could be really cool, with a Dementer attack thrown in for good measure, but it could be a puke machine too.

-RO

Or maybe they'll just build a series of catapults and giant nets.

Why don't they just get it over with and make these parks into Harry Potter theme parks? They couldn't ruin them much more as it is.......

They made millions.

The public love it.

It's spectacular.

It's widely acclaimed as the best or one of the best dark rides ever built.

I'd hardly call it "ruining". The number of Brits alone flocking to visit these is staggering. It's all money coming out of one economy into another - and that must count for a lot.