TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Legoland Florida Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...

So does anyone thing that this whole "Giant Lego Man" story has anything to do with Legoland opening? I find it to be kind of a coincidence, considering others have washed up not too far from other Legoland parks. Personally, if it is tied in, I find it to be quite a good publicity stunt! Pretty much every article I've seen on this mentions the "New Legoland Florida" park nearby. If you're not familiar with the story, check it out here:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainment/2011/10/giant-lego-man-washes-up-on-florida-beach-police-take-it-into-protective-custody/

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20111025/WIRE/111029721/-1/news?Title=UPDATE-Giant-Lego-man-washes-up-on-Siesta-Key-beach

http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/dpp/news/local/sun_coast/giant-lego-man-on-beach-102511

The life-sized figure of a man made of Lego pieces was found washed up on a Florida beach, and people are scratching their heads as they try to figure out where it came from and what it could possibly mean.

Jeff Hindman reportedly found the bright red, yellow and green “man” as he walked on the Siesta Key Beach in Sarasota County around 7 a.m. Tuesday, according to a report in the Sarasota Herald-Tribune.

The fiberglass figure measures about 8 feet tall, and weighs about 100 pounds, according to the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office. In a light-hearted press release, the department said it had taken the giant Lego man “into protective custody.”

The front of the figure’s bright green “torso” bore the cryptic message: “NO REAL THAN YOU ARE.” On the back appear the numeral “8″ and the words “Ego Leonard.”

Just who is Ego Leonard, you ask?

It’s apparently the alter ego of a Dutch artist. A visit to the website, “Prescription Art,” shows a gallery of paintings for sale that all feature the Lego figure alongside pithy messages such as “I Love You,” “Play by the Rules” and, coincidentally, “No Real Than You Are.”

Converting the currency from the prices listed in British pounds, the paintings range in price from $3,407.19 to $4,238.90.

There’s also an Ego Leonard book — “No Real Than You Are” — that you can snag for just $11.18.

A message on the site, purportedly from the mysterious Ego, reads:

“My name is Ego Leonard and according to you I come from the virtual world. A world that for me represents happiness, solidarity, all green and blossoming, with no rules or limitations. Lately however, my world has been flooded with fortune-hunters and people drunk with power. And many new encounters in the virtual world have triggered my curiosity about your way of life. I am here to discover and learn about your world and thoughts …”

Other large Lego figures have previously washed up on beaches in England and Holland.

The Siesta Key Beach figure drew many stares before authorities removed it.

“Mr. Leonard is being kept in a secure environment until his owner comes forward,” the police statement added.

The makers of LEGO, the popular plastic toy bricks and plastic figures, have disavowed any knowledge of, or involvement with, the figure. Legoland Florida, a theme park, opened earlier this month in Winter Haven, Fla.

In a statement to the Sheriff’s office, the LEGO Group said: “This activity is in no way sponsored or endorsed by The LEGO Group or Merlin Entertainments, who run LEGOLAND attractions.”

abc_lego__man_111026_wblog.jpg.1cc93b37d9e7dd8e3c35c15aec2668aa.jpg

legoman-beach-1025.bmp

legoman2-1025_rdax_676x380.jpg.0957992fbee126c8aee1e74d090429e0.jpg

legoman3-1025_rdax_358x480.jpg.5ee602521c065147be6d4eb9bd36a6e5.jpg

legoman4-1025_rdax_640x480.jpg.1bada68607d653f81482ffa6dd0fbb1a.jpg

bilde.jpg.810e9657ec4e1586af1d51ecdf1a9822.jpg

lego1_20111025215919_640_480.JPG.a85a19c3faab4e6c674853eef5f4e85d.JPG

Honestly, I think it's neat.

I know it says how figures washed up in England and Holland, but what about California and Windsor? If this sort of thing happened when those Legoland parks opened, I wouldn't consider it a coincidence.

I know it says how figures washed up in England and Holland, but what about California and Windsor?

Windsor is in England. And while there isn't a Legoland in Holland, it did wash up on technically the same coast as Legoland in Denmark.

Ah. I was thinking "Windsor, Ontario". I'm an idiot.

Does this mean that the forum title is going to change to "Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Giant Lego Men" now?

I hope he makes the 108 mile journey to Legoland! If I was in Florida with a truck I'd take him there myself. I really love goofy stuff like this!

“Mr. Leonard is being kept in a secure environment until his owner comes forward,” the police statement added

FREE LEONARD!

Really strange. It sounds like the artist's intent may be to bash Legoland by saying this.

"Lately however, my world has been flooded with fortune-hunters and people drunk with power"

I feel like it will work as a Publicity Stunt though as more people will hear about the giant lego man and see pictures than will get those details.

I agree... Great marketing. The Lego men appear professionally made and of high quality. So my guess is it is a ploy. If you google map all the wash up sites vs a Legoland you find it all within about an hour dirve of the site and the park. If this is not Lego then some very rich fan is giving them some great free publicity. As for the No Real than you are.... My guess is that is some sort of something about using your imagination to build things... Just really deep way of saying it hahaha

ryan

Just my opinion but I'm not sure Lego/Legoland do have anything to do with it. On a bit of further investigation Ego Leonard appears to be the alter ego/chosen name of a street artist from Holland who uses lego figures as a motif in his art. I think this was a publicity stunt on his behalf to get more interest in his art and the dutch street art movement he is a part of.

That seems to be the opinion of the papers over here in England too:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2053933/Giant-Lego-statue-washes-ashore-Florida-stunt-Dutch-artist.html

Although you never know, maybe he is linked to Lego or Merlin in some way...

• 1 month later...

Legoland Florida has sent us a press release regarding the details of their upcoming Legoland Water PArk set to open in Summer 2012!

Just six weeks after its official grand opening, LEGOLAND® Florida today released details of its first expansion – LEGOLAND Water Park. Scheduled to open in time for summer 2012, the water park will feature a wave pool, Build-A-Raft lazy river, tube slides, body slides and an interactive water-play structure - DUPLO® Safari.

“We’re very excited to share plans for this amazing new attraction,” said LEGOLAND Florida General Manager Adrian Jones. “True to our mission, the water park attraction has been designed for families with children ages 2 to 12 and will add hours of water play to an already full day and move LEGOLAND Florida into a multi-day experience for vacationers. The additional also adds another great value proposition for our Annual Pass members.”

Admission to the water park attraction is included with an all-new LEGOLAND Premium Pass, which offers 12 months admission to LEGOLAND Florida and seasonal access to the LEGOLAND Water Park. Single-day LEGOLAND Florida guests may upgrade to a water park attraction ticket for an additional $12 per person (children under 3 are $3). The Premium Pass is now available for purchase at http://www.LEGOLAND.com or AAA Auto Club South branches.

Key areas of LEGOLAND Water Park attraction include:

• LEGO Wave Pool – Families can catch a gentle wave or simply cool off in this perfectly sized wave pool where the waves are just big enough for all ages to enjoy
  • Twin Chasers – Friends ride tubes 375 feet down an intertwining pair of enclosed water slides before plunging into a refreshing pool below
  • Splash Out – The thrill seekers of the family can ascend to the tallest point of the water park attraction and choose from one of three unique slides, then speed down a 60-foot drop and “splash out” into the water below
  • Joker Soaker - A fun, interactive playground with various lengths, heights and types of slides that offer something different for every member of the family. Guests can wade in the surrounding pool and be surprised with a torrential spill from a 300-gallon bucket
  • Build-A-Raft River - Families can imagine, design and build a unique LEGO vessel and set afloat on a maiden voyage around the 1000-foot-long lazy river, set amongst playful LEGO Friends, flowering vegetation and palm tree
  • DUPLO® Splash Safari – Toddlers will rule at this water play area with shorter slides and interactive, larger-than-life DUPLO creatures

“This newest attraction is just one of many ways we will continue to evolve LEGOLAND Florida over the next several years,” said Jones. “Creating a multi-visit proposition for families adds another dimension to the LEGOLAND Florida offering. Adding the water park attraction will fulfill this criteria as well as offering a unique attraction in Central Florida.”

waterpark.jpg.dc49595a8658ce1e7ea2833d318a3fab.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

So figuring this out from the old Cypress Gardens Water Park...

Here is Splash Out:

Joker Soaker:

I'm assuming this is Twin Chasers (I realize only one is enclosed but we'll see...)

The Cypress Gardens Water Park also already had a Wave Pool and Lazy River.

So hopefully Legoland puts in a decent amount of money to really retheme these slides/areas and bring them up to Lego quality.

EDIT - Looking at the artwork Legoland provided it doesn't match ANYTHING they've announced. It looks like California's park. They show a family raft ride which is not in the press release and two non-enclosed slides as well.

Edited by SharkTums