TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

Hey guys, just wondering we're coming over from Ireland and we already have our Halloween Horror Nights tickets booked but we are not sure how the event works. We're told it starts at half 6 but park opening hours say they close at 7! We're really looking forward to it as we've never seen anything like it.

Hey guys, just wondering we're coming over from Ireland and we already have our Halloween Horror Nights tickets booked but we are not sure how the event works. We're told it starts at half 6 but park opening hours say they close at 7! We're really looking forward to it as we've never seen anything like it.

Do you have tickets to US for the daytime? If you do you can Stay and Scream, you wait in a holding area and get slightly early access to a few of the mazes! The event usually starts at 7 but S&S would be 6:30.

^Agree with Piers. Definitely do the Stay and Scream package. You can usually get 2 houses done before the rest of the crowd gets let in, and then you have a head start on the rest of the houses. This usually allows you to get every house done without having to buy an express pass as well as going through your favorite houses again, doing all the shows and checking out the scarezones.

Of course, I still HIGHLY recommend getting an express pass as well if you only plan on going on one night. Seeing as you are traveling so far to go to this event, you really do not want to spend the majority of your time waiting in line. (this event gets insanely long lines)

http://media.universalorlando.com/newsreleases/detail.aspx?id=351

An abandoned scientific research facility in the midst of a vast and frozen Antarctica will set the stage for “The Thing,” an all-new haunted house inspired by Universal Pictures’ upcoming thriller, at Universal Orlando Resort’s Halloween Horror Nights 21. In the thriller “The Thing,” paranoia spreads like an epidemic among a group of researchers as they’re infected, one by one, by a mystery from another planet.

The new haunted house will offer guests an unprecedented first-hand preview of the much-anticipated thriller in advance of its October 14 release. Guests will find themselves in a series of face-to-face encounters with “The Thing,” an alien creature that can transform itself into an exact replica of any living being. “The Thing” haunted house will recreate the spine-chilling suspense from the film, confronting guests with the paranoia and fear that comes from being trapped inside the film’s Antarctic Thule station. The shape-shifting alien could be anywhere or anything. Will they survive?

Eerily authentic, “The Thing” haunted house will feature elaborately designed and disturbingly real alien creatures and sets. They will match the film’s terrifying intensity and provoke both a memorable and disturbing experience. Universal Orlando has partnered with the film’s producers, Strike Entertainment’s Marc Abraham and Eric Newman (Dawn of the Dead) to create an experience that is authentic to the film. The sets, audio, musical score, creature and character references are all based on the film. Universal Studios Hollywood’s Halloween Horror Nights event will also offer a haunted house based on the thriller.

“Having recreated well known horror films in the past, the same level of attention to detail has gone into creating a house experience that will completely immerse guests into the storyline and environment of ‘The Thing,’ said Jim Timon, Senior Vice President of Entertainment at Universal Orlando.

Eric Newman added: “We want people to live the film and experience the same terror that affects the film’s characters. Our collaboration with Universal’s creative teams brought the vision of the film to life. We’re excited for Halloween Horror Nights guests to experience ‘The Thing’ in this frighteningly real way.”

To see the movie trailer, click here.

At Universal Orlando’s Halloween Horror Nights 21, luck will run out as guests discover their fate. Starting September 23, guests will be consumed by the “country’s best Halloween event” (Amusement Today) for 25 select nights through October 31. For more information visit HalloweenHorrorNights.com/Orlando.

1831591987_Screenshot2011-07-19at12_03_04PM.jpg.adc6e9891dff824cb8bbca42aafc9a6b.jpg

image_578_the_thing_high.jpg.def16069f71ee34834e0b867836e64f1.jpg

^From what I understand the maze will be based on the new movie which is a prequel to the original. Of course, knowing how they love to recycle old props, you can guarantee there will be similar set pieces between the two mazes.

Universal Orlando has sent us a press release regarding the recent visit by another star of the Harry Potter films.

Irish actress Evanna Lynch, known for her role as Luna Lovegood in the Harry Potter film series, stopped to admire the Quibbler display and try on a pair of Spectrespecs at Dervish and Banges, a magical supplies and equipment shop at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter on Monday, July 18, 2011. Lynch was hosted by Universal Orlando Resort, spending some time at the theme parks while attending a Harry Potter fan conference in Orlando. Lynch played a role in the final installment of the Harry Potter film series, “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2,” which debuted on Friday.

418739532_EvannaLynch.jpg.6d486042d0f31384552a1594c4a48bed.jpg

^I was just at the website with no problems.

So the previous Thing maze at Orlando was not one of the better ones?

What annoys me most is that all the effects will probably be mostly CGI in the new Thing film, in John Carpenter's remake the mechanical special effects were simply amazing.

I'm tossing up whether to go to Orlando again, I wasn't impressed with last years effort, but the Rush of Fear with Express looks like a great deal - just waiting to see the price.

I'm planning on hitting HHN Orlando the 19/20 of October and using the frequent fear pass. We are also doing USF and IOA during these 2 days. Will I be able to make it through all the HHN mazes and scarezones in the 2 nights? I really do not want to spend extra for the express pass unless I absolutely have to! Also, what are the lines like during the day in October? thanks in advance for the help HHN vets!

^ Since that is a Wednesday and Thursday you *should* be able to make it through everything in one night and then revisit your favorites afterwards. Be there about 30 minutes prior to advertised opening and RUN to the Tent Houses behind Simpsons. Do both of those then head straight to the Jaws queue house. After that head back to the other house which is in the building next to the tents (the queue entrance should be next to ET). After that do the Disaster queue house and then hit all of the soundstage houses. Regardless of what the themes are or what seems to be the most popular.... hit the lowest capacity first.

That being said - if you want to relax, enjoy yourself... and not be stressed all night - the Express pass really is the way to go.....

Edited by disneyfan1313

^I was just at the website with no problems.

So the previous Thing maze at Orlando was not one of the better ones?

What annoys me most is that all the effects will probably be mostly CGI in the new Thing film, in John Carpenter's remake the mechanical special effects were simply amazing.

I'm tossing up whether to go to Orlando again, I wasn't impressed with last years effort, but the Rush of Fear with Express looks like a great deal - just waiting to see the price.

From Wikipedia:

The movie was shot in the anamorphic format on 35mm film, as the director dislikes the look of films shot digitally.[24] The director chose not to fast cut the film, instead opting for a slower pace, hoping to build a sense of pending dread.[24] The prequel was filmed in Pinewood Toronto Studios, Port Lands on March 22, 2010 and ended on June 28, 2010.[30] On set, the director had a laptop computer which contained "a million" screen captures of the Carpenter film, which he used as a point of reference to keep the Norwegian camp visually consistent with the first film.[31] Alec Gillis and Tom Woodruff, Jr. created the practical creature effects for the film, in the studios of Amalgamated Dynamics.[32] In addition to creating the effects for the human-Thing transformations, Gillis, Woodruff and their team had the challenge of coming up with the look of the alien in the ice block unearthed by the Norwegians. While it was initially only intended to be shown as a silhouette, the director liked their designs and encouraged them to fully create the creature, which was realised by creating a monster suit that Tom Woodruff wore.[29] In order to emulate the creature effects of the first film, Heisserer has revealed that traditional practical effects will be used on the creatures whenever possible.[33] The films computer generated imagery will be created by Image Engine, the effects house who worked on Neil Blomkamp's 2009 film District 9.[23] Computer Graphics will be used to digitally create extensions on some of the practical animatronic effects, as well as for digital matte paintings and set extensions.[23] Alec Gillis stated that the advancement of animatronic technology since 1982 combined with digital effects allowed the effects team to expand upon the possible creature conceptions.[31] Matthijs van Heijningen preferred to use practical effects over computer imagery, as he believes actors give better performances when they have something physical to react to.[3] Stunt men covered in fire-retardant gel were used in scenes when characters are set on fire.[29] The original Ennio Morricone score will likely be reflected in the film's score, but Morricone will not score the film, nor will his music from the ’82 version be used.[

Good sign? Maybe not as CGI as we thought... I am actually kinda excited to see what happens with this house... will it be too much of a repeat? I have heard it's an all new House... but we'll see!

http://www.universalorlando.com/Landing/HPNovCelebration.aspx

Get Ready! Nov. 11–13 we’re teaming up w/Warner Bros. to host “A Celebration of the Harry Potter Films” HERE at #WWoHP! bit.ly/q5fbDM

FAQ

Celebrities

Who will be there from the Harry Potter films and will I be able to meet them?

During the event, there will be scheduled appearances by some of the cast members from the Harry Potter film series. Your opportunity to participate in events featuring various cast members depends on the scheduled activities included in your vacation package. Please check your vacation package entitlements for full details of what’s included in your specific package.

When will I know the celebrities that will be attending? Please continue to check http://www.universalorlando.com/celebration for updates about the event. Celebrities may not be announced until closer to the event.

Will J.K. Rowling be there? No, J.K. Rowling will not be in attendance.

Autograph and Q&A Sessions

How can I participate in the Autograph and Q&A sessions? Guests can purchase a Premier Package to participate in one Cast Member Autograph session. Guests can purchase either a Premier package or a Celebration package to participate in one Cast Member Q&A session. There will be additional ways for a limited number of people to participate in celebration events. Stay tuned for more details.

What type of celebrities will be at the Autograph and Q&A sessions? The Autograph and Q&A sessions will feature select cast members and filmmakers from the Harry Potter films.

Where will the Autograph and Q&A Sessions take place? Autograph and Q&A sessions will take place in various areas within Universal’s Islands of Adventure – home to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter. Specific locations and times will be provided in your welcome packet.

Where will I pick up my welcome packet? You will receive e-mail communication at a later date on how and when you will receive your welcome packet.

Can I purchase extra Autograph and Q&A sessions? No. The number of Autograph and Q&A sessions is predetermined based on the vacation package you purchase and cannot be changed. Please check your vacation package entitlements for full details of what’s included in your specific package.There will be additional ways for a limited number of people to participate in celebration events. Stay tuned for more details.

What should I bring to the autograph session? Universal Orlando will provide markers and celebrity photos at the Autograph session. You may also bring a personal item – like a Harry Potter DVD or movie poster– to be signed; however we ask that only one item be signed per cast member.

Can I bring a camera and or/video camera to the event? Yes, you can bring a camera/video camera to the event. However, please keep in mind we cannot guarantee that we will be able to accommodate requests for personal photos with cast members.

Vacation Package Questions

I am an Annual Pass Holder; do I have to purchase a vacation package? Yes, this is a separately packaged event. There will be additional ways for a limited number of people to participate in celebration events. Stay tuned for more details.

How will I get my admission for the event festivities? You will receive an email with instructions at a later date on how to fulfill your vacation package and gain access to the events.

Film Screening Questions

Are the film screenings included in the vacation package? No. Harry Potter film screening tickets are not included in the vacation package.

When will film screening tickets be available for purchase? Film screening tickets will be available for separate purchase at a later date. Please continue to check for updates.

Are film screening tickets exclusive to vacation package guests only? No. They will be available for purchase by the general public.

What will be the price of the film screening tickets? Pricing is not available at this time. Please continue to check for updates.

Nighttime Gala Event on November 13

How can I attend the Nighttime Gala Event on November 13? Guests who purchase the Premier package attend the Nighttime Gala Event on November 13. Upon your arrival, event details will be provided in your welcome packet.

What is the attire for the Nighttime Gala Event on November 13? There is no set attire for the November 13 event. However, since you will be experiencing all of the adventures of The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, comfortable theme-park attire is recommended.

Will food and drinks be included at the evening event? Yes, you will enjoy an assortment of food and drinks from The Wizarding World of Harry Potter as part of the event.

Is there any minimum age restriction to attend? We understand that there are Harry Potter fans of all ages. Therefore, we leave it up to the discretion of the child’s parent or guardian as to whether the festivities of "A Celebration of the Harry Potter Films" will be suitable for their children.

Can I bring a camera to the event? Yes. This is a special event so we recommend bringing a camera to capture your memories.

harry-potter-masthead_tcm13-22072.jpg.76fb5a2af8db39f4442a7937ab5f2e00.jpg

celebration-overview_tcm13-22065.jpg.d1cea17a5233db280ea313e22197bea2.jpg

celebration-bullets_tcm13-22064.jpg.2e81b36da590a981712ada70c24b9f6f.jpg

1058490553_ScreenShot2011-07-25at1_01_53PM.jpg.f747b16999458f208136730e9cc2f11e.jpg

^ Since that is a Wednesday and Thursday you *should* be able to make it through everything in one night and then revisit your favorites afterwards. Be there about 30 minutes prior to advertised opening and RUN to the Tent Houses behind Simpsons. Do both of those then head straight to the Jaws queue house. After that head back to the other house which is in the building next to the tents (the queue entrance should be next to ET). After that do the Disaster queue house and then hit all of the soundstage houses. Regardless of what the themes are or what seems to be the most popular.... hit the lowest capacity first.

That being said - if you want to relax, enjoy yourself... and not be stressed all night - the Express pass really is the way to go.....

I would recommend doing the parade building house (next to E.T.) first. If you're there when the park opens, or better yet, doing Stay & Scream, then you aren't really saving any time by skipping it. It just forces you to walk back to Kidzone. Do that, then the Kidzone tent, and then the World Expo tent (right next to the first tent's exit.) The Jaws house will still have a small wait by the time you get to it.

Then again, they're seemingly rerouting the Sprung tent entrances & exits this year, so it may not work the same as in the past.

My wife really wants to do the event, plus it could be coupled with IAAPA, which would be great.

However, the details seem way too fishy, imho. Very few details at all. No listing of actors at all. It could be Danial Radclif, or the guy who played the Slitheryn kid in the back table of the great hall in one scene. I mean, that's a pretty big detail to not be giving before expecting pay. Sadly, I think the Potterheads will buy up the tickets before any details are out for the more normal folks to decide.

We haven't been to a Disney event in quite a while, and they were awesome, especially for HMH at Disneyland, so we're definitley game for a fun event.

Another issue is hotel. NO option for onsite hotel. Plus, no real details on occupancy. Are they really charging a set amount, per adult. Usually such things are based on double occupancy, and adding a third is heavily discounted. If my son would be the same amount, and he'd just be stuck in our room, there's no way we're doing it, that's a rip off.

I hope or more info before Sunday.

-RO

MSadly, I think the Potterheads will buy up the tickets before any details are out for the more normal folks to decide.

They could just put "Incredible Limited Harry Potter Special Event - $700" and i'm sure they would sell out immediately.

However, the details seem way too fishy, imho. Very few details at all. No listing of actors at all. It could be Danial Radclif, or the guy who played the Slitheryn kid in the back table of the great hall in one scene.

Yeah, I'm sure it will just be secondary characters from the movies but like Joey said it doesn't matter to the Potterheads. They are going to eat this up especially now they do not have any more movies to look forward to.

http://media.universalorlando.com/newsreleases/detail.aspx?id=351
Guests will find themselves in a series of face-to-face encounters with “The Thing,” an alien creature that can transform itself into an exact replica of any living being.

Sounds a little like they're doing some live video mixed with reflection, ala the new hitchhiking ghosts in WDW Haunted Mansion? Which could be interesting in a group setting, rather than 1-3 person cars where you know the limits of a guests position.

^I wouldn't expect something that fancy... I think that description was meant to shed light on the alien, as opposed to what would come in the haunt. In the previous film (to which this new film is a prequel), the alien did take on the forms of several humans, dogs and other creatures.

In the past two houses which featured The Thing at Halloween Horror Nights (The Thing: Assimilation and Silver Screams), the alien showed up in human form, as the human head/spider and as the transforming-from-its-dog-form creature.

Over on Screamscape Lance said this about that picture that teaser picture was posted...

"There are some nice looking demon creatures, but I’m not digging the 3D glasses looking painted red demon faces on the back wall…"

Anyone else see the 3-D Glasses part in that picture? I know some houses at other parks like Six Flags and Cedar Fair have used 3-D glasses to enhance different houses in the past but has Universal ever done this? Could be cool.