TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I think if Holiday World gets a steel coaster, it should be a ride experience very different than their wooden coasters but still accessible to the same group of riders. I haven't been to the park yet (going for the first time next month), but the wooden coasters appear to have large drops, massive airtime, and tunnels covered adequately. The best type of steel coaster would be something that is launched and has inversions, but isn't super intense and has a 48" height requirement. I think something like Maverick, although possibly a little less intense, would be a good fit for the park.

Now that Intamin has done Cheetah Hunt we know that they can pull off the "family launched coaster." I would love to see Holiday World add a coaster like Cheetah Hunt. Perhaps with a dark ride portion, but no need for three launches. I think one would be enough. I would love to see it hug the ground like Cheetah Hunt, and Holiday World always does a good job of blending their coasters in with the existing landscape, so I know that they would be able to pull it off!

^They'd call it Turkey Hunt and put it in the Thanksgiving area.

Kind of surprised it hasn't been brought up but something similar to Kennywood's Sky Rocket would be a nice addition - it has a decent launch, three inversions, two vertical drops, airtime, and isn't a huge ride. The only thing is they would have to make the second half a bit more thrilling and modify the trains for better leg room.

I think some people here are selling HW short in assuming the ride must be tame or small. If you honestly think that is all that is appropriate for the park then recommend that, but don't assume you have to pull your punches because HW cannot handle the rides you really like. They were pretty clear that they intend to grow the park considerably and that would intail more than just a family coaster, although one could be included.

I think a launched looping headbanger is not the best choice for a first steel. If it is looping, a B&M invert is the best choice. However an Intamin airtime machine in the 140-210 foot range is probably the best choice. (While I am sure the park could go higher, additional resourses should be put to the layout.) They will build it like other American parks will not, which is what makes the place unique. HW has sustained a very good growth rate by sticking to the model of instead of giving the GP what they think they want that only drives guests one year, they give quality that turns guests in press agents and drives repeat business.

I suggested something like Maverick, Cheetah Hunt, or iSpeed. Those offer up some of steel's best attributes like smoothness, inversions, and the ability to launch. They can also offer up either extreme or family thrills.

I think some people here are selling HW short in assuming the ride must be tame or small. If you honestly think that is all that is appropriate for the park then recommend that, but don't assume you have to pull your punches because HW cannot handle the rides you really like.

That's what I was thinking. It seems the common thing people are saying is "holiday world is a family park" I dont know if I would consider The Voyage a family coaster so to speak. Also, there are some real thrill seeking families out there that like to visit the parks!

^Actually, I think that's an argument for having a somewhat more family friendly coaster at Holiday World, other than the Holidog-themed kiddie coaster. Raven, Legend, and Voyage are all rather intense rides.

Edited by cfc

^That's a very valid point, considering their general procession in intensity from the Legend to the Voyage to Pilgrim's Plunge to Wildebeest. I think people are thinking that maybe now they readjust their focus, as although it is definitely a destination park now, it still is essentially a park that caters to families.

Having have been there, I know that it really isn't that big, it already feels too small for the rides it has in it. So I think people underestimate the need to round out their collection.

^Actually, I think that's an argument for having a somewhat more family friendly coaster at Holiday World, other than the Holidog-themed kiddie coaster. Raven, Legend, and Voyage are all rather intense rides.

hummm...so maybe their next coaster, if steel, should be something like manta-west or a mouse??

This is what I said:

"Okay. Holiday World has it's own twist on things, it's own "style" if you will. For example. HW's take on wooden coasters = VOYAGE! It's unique and a pretty awesome ride. I think a ride like Sooperdooperlooper (SDL) at HersheyPark would best suit Holiday World. Why do I say this? It's a simple concept, but unique. I think HW should have something no more than 100 feet tall, with a basic drop and loop. After the loop, I would like to see the remainder of the ride filled with medium-intense airtime and a finale helix. It would fit the "classic" personality that HW has, and I think it would honestly be something that a lot of families could go on."

You're not the only one who posted something similar to that- as I did the same.

If anything, HW is a family park- with family attractions (Save 'Voyage') where building a 'ginormous 29 inversion floorless launched woodie' would be a HUGE mistake- but rather: K.I.S.S.- Keep it simple and smart. (There's another acronym for that- I know). Loch Ness Monster, Tennessee Tornado (Scaled down, of course) and HersheyPark's sdL were at the top of my 'list' as well as some of the better small to medium class coasters out there. I keep seeing Intamin pop up- and as much as I like Intamin rides, I think they would have to scale back the intensity on them to truly create a smaller-scale ride.

(If Arrow were still around, and this was 1979, I'd have put them at the TOP of the list to do it!)

Of course, now that I think about it, I agree with Chuck as well. An S&S launch coaster like powder keg would fit perfectly. It seems thrilling but not too intense. Sometimes I wish Arrow was still around...

Holiday World has sent us a press release regarding the recent passing of the long-time employee Frieda Foertsch.

The Holiday World family is mourning the loss of long-time employee and friend, Frieda Foertsch*, who passed away yesterday at an Evansville assisted living facility.

Foertsch, who retired from Holiday World in 2009 at the age of 98, began her long career at the park in 1954. Over the decades, Frieda worked in many departments, including admissions and foods; she even sewed Santa suits. In more recent years, she was known as the “flower lady” who saw to it that the park’s blooms were watered and weeded.

“Frieda was such a smart, strong woman,” says park matriarch Pat Koch. “Her devotion to the park and kind humor provided an inspiration to us all.”

Foertsch was born in Evansville in September of 1910 and moved to Spencer County in 1942. In the year 2000, she was named Indiana’s Outstanding Older Worker and was included in a “60 Minutes” segment about older workers.

“Frieda provided an incredible example for generations of young employees here,” says Koch. “Her work ethic and great pride in the look and feel of the park will never be forgotten. She planted far more than flowers here.”

Visitation and funeral arrangements for 100-year old Frieda Foertsch are pending.

5805024114_84430bf4c2_z.jpg.5e52337ee2fea44c16d5c9681d9baad4.jpg

I can't resist chiming in with my usual opinion for HW's first true steel:

#1: A Maverick rip-off would be perfect. I'd even take a clone.

#2: I'd love to see a heavily themed super custom B&M inverted. Think Nemesis crossed with Raptor.

#3: I honestly think relocating Time Machine (Led Zepplin) is an excellent idea as well.

But HW always comes up with the unexpected, so I don't expect to see any of this come to fruition. It will be a super double secret surprise when it is finally revealed.

And as a final comment, Safari Sam's Splash Land is an amazing addition this year. Don't be fooled that it's kiddie. It's fun for everyone. My 3 year old loves it. My 6 year old loves it. My wife loves it. I love it. All 8 slides are awesome (and surprisingly fast) for all ages and add amazing capacity to the waterpark.

^ Well, Emiroo, as nice as those choices sound there's a wrench that gets thrown into the gears. Maverick was $22 million and sadly, HW built their Thanksgiving section with a $14 million price tag over a couple of seasons due to running out of time and a bit over budget, so I would think a coaster less or around $12 Million would be more manageable for them—at least at this time.

The other problem is the B&M's have a 54" height restriction, so that eliminates a lot of smaller riders. I haven't been to the park in a few years, so I think the only ride with a restriction over 48" is the Liberty Launch.

Maverick was not that awesome anyway. Something more like Stormrunner would be better. And I don't think they are polling enthusiasts without a budget for a decent custom steel. Stop underestimating this park.

^I disagree with you about the Maverick vs. Stormrunner argument. If you look at Holiday World's existing thrilling coasters, none of the three are gimmicky and are complete and fairly long rides. Maverick is a complete ride whereas IMO Stormrunner is too short and would not fit in well at a place like Holiday World.

• 2 weeks later...

Holiday World has sent us a press release regarding their upcoming feature on Bert the Conqueror.

A world-wide audience will be able to tune in Wednesday to see the host of the wildly popular Travel Channel reality show “Bert the Conqueror” try to “conquer” two of the world’s top-ranked rides, both located at Holiday World & Splashin' Safari.

Comedian Bert Kreischer is an “everyman” who travels the country, conquering extreme rides, sports and unusual competitions. During his two-day visit to Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari last month, he attempted to “conquer” The Voyage roller coaster and Wildebeest water coaster, each voted the world’s top rides of their kind.

“We had a lot of laughs with Bert,” says Holiday World president Dan Koch. “And a lot of high-pitched screams, too. We can’t wait to see the show on Wednesday.”

According to show producers, Holiday World was the "most demanded" venue for Bert to feature in his show's second season. In addition to riding Voyage and Wildebeest, Bert visited with Santa Claus and rode a classic ride with the park’s matriarch, Pat Koch.

“Bert the Conqueror” airs Wednesday evenings on The Travel Channel, which is available in more than 94 million U.S. households. This week’s Holiday World episode airs at 9pm CDT (10pm ET/PT),

Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari are open daily for their 65th season. New this season are Rudolph’s Round-Up, a new children’s ride, plus Safari Sam’s SplashLand a water-play area for children featuring eight water slides. For more information about the parks, visit http://www.HolidayWorld.com or call 1-877-Go-Family.

5870898535_5dd8974ddf_z.jpg.55ba3782a0d22392f62718239a0e0d8c.jpg

Edited by jedimaster1227

^I saw this episode and was disappointed that it didn't feature more Holiday World coverage. As I recall, they only featured two rides at Holiday World: the Voyage and Wildebeest. The rest of the show was spent on some silly snow inner tubing "contest".

Oh, and there was a brief flash of Craig Knor in Voyage's station.

Yeah, I saw it as well - Voyage looks like an incredible ride. How is the 'triple down' tunnel in reality?

I was also surprised at how they only featured one Holiday World coaster and a water ride (which also seemed like a good ride). I completely skipped the final part of the show featuring the snow tubing.

The triple down is a pretty amazing experience as it is in complete darkness, but imo it's not the best part of the ride. It catches you by suprise even when you're expecting it, but the air isn't that intense. The best momment of the ride is the air time over the hill coming out of the triple down's tunnel, it just feels like the ride drops out from under you.

*and my 2012 input: The only way I would be happy with any kind of steel at HW would be Intamin Mega-Lite*

Voyage looks like an incredible ride. How is the 'triple down' tunnel in reality?

The triple down is about the only good thing left on this ride. It dropped to my least favorite coaster in the park after my visit this year. It's just too brutal and bordering on not being fun anymore. Sad too, cause it used to be in my top fifteen wood.

^Glad someone agrees with me on that one. Voyage is by far my least favorite coaster at Holiday World, it's only good in the very front row...even then it's still brutal.

It's indeed sad, I remember riding it in 2006 and it was the most incredible wooden coaster Iv'e ever been on, it's now out of my top 25. Legend and Raven are 3586969x better coasters.