TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

Holiday World has sent us a press release regarding their latest act of philanthropy/charity.

With Abraham Lincoln’s birthday just around the corner, Holiday World’s Koch family today issues a $25,000 challenge gift to Lincoln Amphitheatre in memory of Will Koch.

“My oldest son was such an admirer of our sixteenth president,” says Holiday World matriarch Pat Koch. “Part of Will’s legacy is his dedication to seeing the story of Abraham Lincoln’s Indiana roots shared in Lincoln Amphitheatre.”

Abraham Lincoln grew up what is now Lincoln City, Indiana, from the time he was seven until he was 21. Lincoln City is located four miles west of the town of Santa Claus.

The Koch family and Holiday World are encouraging others to donate to Lincoln Amphitheatre in memory of Will Koch, who passed away last June at the age of 48. Thousands of friends and admirers from around the world who sent their condolences remembered him for his vision, integrity, and sense of humor. Will Koch was president of Holiday World & Splashin’ Safari for more than 20 years and also served as president of the Lincoln Boyhood Drama Association. His widow, Lori, now serves on the association’s board.

“We hope our gift will inspire others to make a donation as well,” says Pat Koch. “Our goal is to see today’s contribution double, helping to jump-start the amphitheatre’s upcoming fund drive so that they may continue telling the story of Lincoln’s Indiana years for many seasons to come.”

Lincoln Amphitheatre staff recently announced a planned “re-tooling” of the Lincoln: Upon the Altar of Freedom play, which is expected to return as a more family-friendly musical in 2012. Meanwhile, the amphitheatre will host a variety of outdoor films and theatrical presentations this summer, including a collaborative production of The Wizard of Oz with the Evansville Civic Theatre.

Donations may be made through Lincoln Amphitheatre’s website at LincolnAmphitheatre.com by clicking on the “Donate and Support” button. Lincoln Amphitheatre is located in Lincoln State Park and is operated by the non-profit Lincoln Boyhood Drama Association.

There is a poll at about.com right now for Best New Water Park Ride for 2010. It's in the same group of polls that Robb has been mentioning. Wildebeest in running really close with Scorpion's Tail. If you also think Wildebeest should be number one, then vote HERE!

We'll know more next month, when testing resumes. I'd tell you if I knew...

Paula

Hey Paula,

I was just wondering if testing resumed on the Timberliners yet? I think I missed any update if it did. I'm looking forward to riding the Voyage with them eventually.

Since I hear/read this is THE place to go when you want a poll swayed (j/k) ... Have you voted for Wildebeest yet today? About.com allows once-a-day voting (just takes a sec): http://bit.ly/fCSYKS

Seriously, your help in spreading the word is sincerely appreciated!

Thank you! Paula

1788754441_WillampRick.jpg.95b86680d3efd0ee4c389825995dc6d7.jpg

The late Will Koch and ProSlide's Rick Hunter ... the proud creators of Wildebeest.

How long were Wildebeest lines typically on busier days? Looks amazing.

They were the longest lines we've ever had. Ugh. Ninety minutes to 2 hours during the middle of the day on most days.

You know how wildebeests are known for stampeding? (Sorry, Mufasa.) That's what we'd see every morning when we dropped the ropes in the water park. Get the HECK out of the way! (I'd stand there like some kind of moron: Please don't run. Um, please don't run. We want you to be safe. Please don't run."

Paula

Thank you. Yea that seems about right as I waited about 90 minutes for the "Master Blaster" @ Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels TX. There's doesn't look anywhere near the caliber of Wildebeest however.

You're welcome.

I rode it with my GM, Matt, twice early one morning before we opened for the day.

He accused me of using unthinkable language when the LIMs kicked in, especially in the tunnels. I was aghast that he could have thought that of me. Quite simply, I was quoting Ralphie from my favorite move: Fu-u-u-u-u-u-udge!"

Really.