Photo TR: Chilly? Go to Chile!

Martin & Cheryl Miss One Credit in Santiago, Chile
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Photo TR: Chilly? Go to Chile!

Postby milst1 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:46 pm

Cheryl and I spent our honeymoon in Chile and we've always wanted to go back. It's safe, there is a decent infrastructure (you can drink the water), and the people are very nice. It's even somewhat sedate, as Latin America goes.

Since we had that long Columbus Day weekend off, we decided to do the Chile credit run. Things are starting to turn colder here, but in Chile, Spring has sprung! :Pr

This is the longest report I've ever done. Thanks to Robb for the multiple photo uploading tool, which definitely made this go faster.

Adelante!
xx_002.jpg
Fly to Chile. Get car at Hertz. See license plate? Chile.
xx_003.jpg
Go to giant Las Condes mall with FEC inside. I kept looking up while driving and thinking "what a weird looking cloud" and then being like "that's a snow-capped mountain!"
xx_004.jpg
Cool, the mall parking garage has lights to show you the empty spots. We saw this in Mexico too.
xx_005.jpg
Welcome to Aventura Center, a small chain of FECs. This one has a credit.
xx_006.jpg
Montaña Rusa!
xx_007.jpg
Credit.
xx_008.jpg
They also had kiddy flats.
xx_009.jpg
And games and coin-op type rides.
xx_010.jpg
And a Tagada? Cool!
xx_012.jpg
This park and others we saw are big into the birthday party business.
xx_013.jpg
There's bowling too.
xx_014.jpg
And a bowling bar? And then the hostess told me I couldn't take pictures. I don't understand why some places give tourists a hard time. No thanks, you don't have to get your "jefe" to explain it to me. It happens all over. This reminded me of the time that an ice cream stand on the Jersey Shore Boardwalk yelled at me for taking pictures. Don't attract tourists if you don't want tourists taking pictures!
xx_015.jpg
This Aventura Center is at the Las Condes Mall. I think we saw a movie at the mall afterwards...oh yeah, Kick Ass 2. Not as good as the first. We then drove back to our hotel, parked, checked in, and had a nice dinner nearby.
xx_016.jpg
The next morning we headed to Fantasilandia, but the parking situation was really difficult (it adjoins a major city park and doesn't have a huge parking lot of its own). In retrospect, we should have taken public transit for this park, but since our other two parks were in outlying areas, we decided to hit them first. The first was Mampato Lo Barnechea.
xx_017.jpg
Here's what you see when you come in. It's a small outdoor amusement park.
xx_018.jpg
Here's the credit, Happy Mountain, a Brazilian Wacky Worm, according to rcdb.
xx_019.jpg
Nice red train instead of the usual green.
xx_020.jpg
There was also a variety of kiddie flats.
xx_021.jpg
And another Tagada? Wow.
xx_022.jpg
As I said, the birthday business is big here. They had a slew of these huts for birthday parties.
xx_023.jpg
Yay, a dark ride!
xx_024.jpg
Gotta love the Latina vampire bat women.
xx_025.jpg
Unfortunately, the young female operator couldn't get the ride going. She got a supervisor over there, who flipped a switch that started the sound effects and seemed to get it started, but he didn't test it and left. She couldn't get a car to go. He came back and declared it down. Oh well.
xx_026.jpg
This was a view of the mountains from the ferris wheel.
xx_027.jpg
Nice slide.
xx_028.jpg
Birthday party section.
xx_029.jpg
Actual birthday party about to happen.
xx_030.jpg
A sea lion show? I wish we had stuck around.
xx_031.jpg
Steeplechase.
xx_032.jpg
Cheryl as a blowfish.
xx_033.jpg
Cheryl milking the cow!
xx_034.jpg
Have we gone in a circle? No, we've gone from northeast Santiago down to Southeast Santiago for Mampato Las Vizcachas. It's on more land and has a few more rides, but we were surprised that it was more expensive. The first Mampato was $8; this Mampato was $9. It's about 500 Chilean pesos to the US dollar.
xx_035.jpg
Credit! This is Montaña Dragon, Since rcdb didn't have any pictures, I sent a whole slew of them.
xx_036.jpg
It's the birthday huts!
xx_037.jpg
Pirate ship.
xx_038.jpg
Parrot show.
xx_039.jpg
Dolphin ride.
xx_040.jpg
For Larry.
xx_041.jpg
My 6 month birthday!
xx_042.jpg
They have a powered there too.
xx_043.jpg
Water game? Actually, we started to notice that the climate is incredibly dry.
xx_044.jpg
We saw this at both of the Mampatos, a little giant-tricycle track for kids.
xx_045.jpg
Kiddie Ferris Wheel.
xx_046.jpg
Slide.
xx_047.jpg
Drop tower.
xx_050.jpg
Spinning Flat. Sorry about the boring repetition; I'm just documenting.
xx_0501.jpg
And another Tagada!!!!!????!!!!
xx_051.jpg
So we then drove back to the center of the city, but we found parking well away from Fantasilandia and walked in. Yay, we made it!
xx_052.jpg
The map makes it look open and empty but it's actually fairly compact and busy. Right now the park is open weekends and holidays. This was a Sunday. It was a decent crowd.
xx_053.jpg
Patricio Mekis was a mayor of Santiago who championed large public infrastructure projects, including Fantasilandia. He died at 50 in 1979 when the balcony collapsed at his summer home.
xx_054.jpg
As you can see, busy midway.
xx_055.jpg
There's not much in the way of park theming. Here's the "Kids Zone".
xx_056.jpg
And this was the one credit that we couldn't get on this trip. Cheryl asked about it but it sounded like it wouldn't open this month.
xx_0561.jpg
These signs were in the queues with the number for security.
xx_0562.jpg
And these signs warned against smoking, jumping the barriers, or holding someone's place in the line.
xx_057.jpg
Clowns suddenly appeared.
xx_058.jpg
More of them!
xx_059.jpg
WTF?
xx_060.jpg
There they go.
xx_061.jpg
They were having dance parties all day.
xx_062.jpg
Mississippi River Steamboat and bumper boats.
xx_063.jpg
Ah, food and beverage. This was our big negative at Fantasilandia. Ride operations were slow, but not ridiculously slow. F&B, on the other hand, was ridiculous. By fast, they were referring to geological time.
xx_0631.jpg
Long lines at every outlet. And the lines didn't move. It was brutal.
xx_0632.jpg
This popular stand in a games section completely blocked the path for this area.
xx_0633.jpg
This looked better, but it wasn't.
xx_0634.jpg
Inside, you had to first pay the cashier (one queue), and then stand on another queue to give the paid order to the kitchen. I think my line was serving one guest every 10 minutes or so.
xx_0635.jpg
And there were several queues of this type. I've never seen so many employees fill so few orders. Half of the assistants and order helpers outside of the kitchen should have been inside the kitchen cooking. I'm not sure when lunchtime is in Chile, but it was late for us and we were starving. I remember seeing a much smaller crew at Silverwood serve just as many people much more quickly just last month; it was fresh in my mind because I mentioned that crew in the survey I received afterwards. They were overwhelmed too, but they busted their asses to speed it up. This just dragged on interminably, with the line never moving. But Cheryl and I were definitely the most bummed out about it. Everyone else seemed to see this as "normal".
xx_0636.jpg
And the actual food quality was not good. I think Cheryl said "They shouldn't allow this to be called 'pizza'". And I said, "It tastes like crap, but I've got enough Heinz ketchup on it to mask it." The mini cheese empanadas were essentially cheese-less. Okay, no more complaining about the food. It's a South American theme park, not a Food Network featured restaurant. I shouldn't have read Chuck's Food & Wine Festival reports before writing this.
xx_064.jpg
Raptor was one credit, an SLC running two trains. Very popular.
xx_065.jpg
The other credit was this spinning mouse. Good ops: They filled our car with a mom and her kid.
xx_066.jpg
They had a top spin.
xx_067.jpg
And a pirates boat ride!
xx_068.jpg
Very basic boats.
xx_069.jpg
You can see the Disko out the pirates window.
xx_070.jpg
Classic. The best scene was a copy of the guy getting dunked by the pirates at Disney, right? But the funny thing was that he had no body below his chest. LOL. Tell us where the treasure is! Right after we saw your body in two!
xx_071.jpg
Little outdoor section of pirates.
xx_072.jpg
This was Monga. I had to drag Cheryl to this attraction. There was a gorilla statue outside, and I guessed, correctly, that this was a version of an attraction I saw at Playcenter in Brazil when I was there as a kid. There was a show every couple of hours or so, so we had to wait on a long queue to get in. Once inside, you see a beautiful woman on stage in a cage, and they tell a story that she's been cursed. You watch as she turns into a gorilla before your eyes! But then the gorilla escapes into the theater! At Playcenter, everyone ran out screaming, if memory serves. Here, they got her back in the cage and she reverts back to her former self. Crazy stuff.
xx_0721.jpg
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeere's Monga!
xx_073.jpg
Good looking dark ride from the outside, although the fake vines are deteriorating.
xx_074.jpg
Cars repurposed from some shooting dark ride somewhere, but no guns anymore.
xx_075.jpg
As it got later in the day (and chillier), some ghouls came out to promote the park's upcoming Halloween events.
xx_076.jpg
The ghoul is the one on the right. Look, he got coffee after only waiting 10 minutes!
xx_077.jpg
There was a frisbee thing. There was also one of those flats like a cheap version of the spinning Kennywood Arrows ride? I think I saw the same ride at Seabreeze. Sorry I don't know the names.
xx_078.jpg
Wow, Fantasilandia's newest attraction, a Zamperla Air Race! I know this one.
xx_079.jpg
Another Tagada!!!!!!????!!!!!?????
xx_081.jpg
Thanks for visiting Fantasilandia with us!
xx_084.jpg
Finally, we hit this park on a mountain with a few attractions. The alpine toboggan was fun. It's just called "Rodelbahn".
xx_085.jpg
Then we went to "Vertigo Park", which had zip lines and climbing, but the first thing we saw was this ridiculous home made sky coaster.
xx_086.jpg
This guy's feet popped out of the harness right away. Did not look fun.
xx_087.jpg
Nor did the zip line adventure course. Sketchy.
xx_088.jpg
These young paintball players seemed satisfied, however. We still took a pass.
xx_089.jpg
Bonus park! We went to one last big mall near the airport on the way out of town to kill a few hours. They had a Happyland. No coaster...
xx_090.jpg
...but they had a Tagada! Sorta.
xx_091.jpg
Hope you enjoyed our report!
Last edited by milst1 on Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:42 pm.
Shameless Plug!
One Photo For Every Park We Hit in 2018!
2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009
Last Park: Midway State Park
Next Park: La Ronde
Final 2018 Park Count: 101
Running 2019 Park Count: 104

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Re: Photo TR: Chilly? Go to Chile!

Postby larrygator » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:59 pm

I believe tricycle racing is the national sport of Chile.

Did you ride any of the Tagadas?
Last edited by larrygator on Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:10 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby milst1 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:42 pm

larrygator wrote:I believe tricycle racing is the national sort of Chile.

Did you ride any of the Tagadas?

Did not ride a single one of the Tagadas. :lol: Cheryl thought it would only be fun with TPR.
Shameless Plug!
One Photo For Every Park We Hit in 2018!
2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009
Last Park: Midway State Park
Next Park: La Ronde
Final 2018 Park Count: 101
Running 2019 Park Count: 104

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:01 pm

:omg:

Sooooo many Tagadas, there!
You definitely hit that jackpot Martin, lol.
And the food services there at the parks....

:omg:
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:33 pm

I shouldn't have read Chuck's Food & Wine Festival reports before writing this.

Sorry to spoil the Chilean park food for you.

Too bad about that malfunctioning dark ride--you have to love a ride that's named "Casa del Terror." That pirate boat ride looked hilarious.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:05 pm

OMFG that sky coaster! NO. Not once not never. No footbar? Uncomfortable. Scary. No. Bhahah. Thanks for the update, awesome!
{1991} Chicago guy. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:01 pm

At least I now know the answer to this question: "Donde este la casa del terror?"

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby alwaysairtime14 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:27 pm

Homemade skycoaster? Hell, you couldn't get me to go on an actual name-brand one!
Six Flags Passes: 2013, 2012, 2011
1 hour 36 minutes from BIZARRO SFNE

Unofficial, self-appointed Rye Playland Historian
SAVE PLAYLAND!

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:54 pm

They used to have one of those gorilla shows at Circus Circus in Vegas. You can see it in the James Bond movie Diamonds are Forever. That dates back to the early 70's.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby XII » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:01 pm

Nice Photo TR. I always enjoy reading Photo TRs of parks in parts of the world that most people don't go to for coasters. Sucks to hear about the food service at the park, but at least you've got all those Tagadas.
Just because yours is smaller doesn't make you less of a man. Unless we're talking about your brain.
http://www.incrediblecoasters.com

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive