Photo TR: The Kiwis Do Texas Midwest 2013

The Intamin Cable Strikes Again - Knott’s Berry Farm, pg. 23
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Re: Photo TR: The Kiwis Do Texas Midwest 2013

Postby mattnz » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:42 am

^ Actually I didn't think so. Good prices unless you start adding wine (which of course we did!).

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby The Great Zo » Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:10 pm

Another great report segment! Lots of detail in those pictures, and stuff I've never seen from those parks. Mythos looks pretty awesome, and I'm not even a Simpsons fan at all, yet I want to visit the Springfield area. Just looks really well done.

Did you go on Twister? It's probably getting dated, but I know I'd love to see it and laugh at it ;) .
-- Andy
Trip Reports: 2013 BG/KD -- 2013 TPR -- 2014 KI -- 2014 TPR -- 2015 TPR
Trip Reports: 2015 CP -- 2017 FL -- 2017 CP -- 2017 TPR -- 2018 FC -- 2018 CA

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby beatle11 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:36 pm

Great pics again! I can't believe I still haven't gone back to Orlando!

Postby mattnz » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:19 pm

Thank you!

I went on Twister in 2008 and it was indeed quite hilarious. The actual twister recreation was pretty cool though. I forgot to mention in the TR how much I missed Jaws. Definitely glad I got to go on that before they took it out.

The Intamin Cable Strikes Again - Knott’s Berry Farm

Postby mattnz » Sat May 31, 2014 10:55 pm

I was trying to come up with different names for this last update of our 2013 US trip - 'The Curse of the Missed Credits' was one, 'Revenge of the Intamin Gods' was another, but I've finally settled on 'The Intamin Cable Strikes Again', because that's exactly what befell us at Knott's Berry Farm! After quite a few missed credits on our trip (Iron Rattler, New Texas Giant, Shockwave, Intimidator 305...) it was almost a comedy of errors to find Xcelerator would be down for our Knott's visit - by all accounts, an awesome coaster.

But I was delighted to find Montezooma's Revenge alive and well, and in a way would have been more upset to miss this over Xcelerator, as I had never been on a Schwarzkopf shuttle loop before. Needless to say I loved it. I thought it had a surprisingly powerful launch, the loop was intense, and the airtime on the back spike was amazing. A great classic and, without Xcelerator around, the best ride at the park.

Despite our disappointment we had a great time at Knott's. For one, the park has a lot of character, and though I've heard all about how Cedar Fair has stripped out the charm, there is still plenty on display. This is no generic Dorney Park (which I found totally devoid of charm despite its age) - a wander around the gorgeous Ghost Town section of the park revealed blacksmiths, saloon dancers, wood carvers, lots of trees and historic structures. I also found the newly updated Boardwalk area quite pleasant - the gleaming new rides looked good against the pools of blue water, and the streams of lights over the midway were a nice touch.

Knott's do have their share of bad rides - GhostRider (one hell of a rough woodie), Pony Express ($9 million poorly spent) and Silver Bullet (the tamest B&M I've ever ridden). But they also have some rather unique attractions, such as the Butterfield Stagecoach and Calico Mine Ride (the renovation will be welcome, mind you). Overall I think they have a great balance of rides, shows, shopping and food - Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant being a particular highlight.

Thanks to those who have followed my TR over the last eight and a half months - it was certainly an epic trip, and hats off again to Robb and Elissa for the amazing TPR portion. We hope to join along for some more fun with TPR in 2015 and beyond!
IMG_0001 (Copy).JPG
We finally made it to the last stop of our epic trip, and stayed at Knott's Berry Farm Hotel, just a short walk from the park.
IMG_0002 (Copy).JPG
Entrance beneath Silver Bullet's cobra roll. We'll get to you later...
IMG_0003 (Copy).JPG
Of course with Xcelerator closed we headed straight over to Montezooma's Revenge.
IMG_0004 (Copy).JPG
I was excited to ride my first ever Schwarzkopf shuttle loop. These contraptions are getting rare.
IMG_0005 (Copy).JPG
It did not disappoint! It had an awesome launch, and pulled some major Gs in the loop...
IMG_0006 (Copy).JPG
The back spike also provided great airtime in the back. All in all, a fantastic ride!
IMG_0007 (Copy).JPG
It over-shot the station a few times on our visit, but I was pleased to see the park work on it straight away and re-open the ride after about 30 minutes each time.
IMG_0008 (Copy).JPG
Next door is Jaguar, one of those long, kind of pointless but still fun Zierer coasters. The queue was nicely done too.
IMG_0009 (Copy).JPG
"Nothing to see here - move along!"
IMG_0009A (Copy).JPG
The Waveswinger (I see you Xcelerator!).
IMG_0010 (Copy).JPG
This is not exactly Disney-level themeing, but I was still happy to see the park theme their rides to the respective areas of the park, in this case the Fiesta Village.
IMG_0011 (Copy).JPG
Camp Snoopy occupies a lovely area of the park.
IMG_0012 (Copy).JPG
Beautiful!
IMG_0013 (Copy).JPG
I had never been on a Mack spinning coaster before, so was intrigued by Sierra Sidewinder.
IMG_0014 (Copy).JPG
It was fun, in fact I think I preferred this over the Gerstlauer spinners. (Am yet to ride a Maurer Söhne one - they look best of all!)
IMG_0015 (Copy).JPG
I had all about Silver Bullet, so wasn't expecting too much from this enormous B&M invert. I think the problem begins right away with the very tame drop...
IMG_0016 (Copy).JPG
It just sort of meanders around the course. In glass-smooth B&M tradition, of course.
IMG_0017 (Copy).JPG
This helix looked promising, but it too was utterly tame. This coaster sits at the bottom of the B&M heap for me, along with Hydra the Revenge, Patriot and X-Flight. (Patriot is a better invert too, IMO.)
IMG_0018 (Copy).JPG
Moving on to Knott's famous Ghost Town...
IMG_0019 (Copy).JPG
...where we got this out of the way! I could see how GhostRider was a great ride back in the day - it has an interesting layout. I just wish the park would do something to improve the ride experience.
IMG_0020 (Copy).JPG
Hangman's tree for GhostRider survivors.
IMG_0021 (Copy).JPG
I was really struck by the beauty of this area of the park.
IMG_0022 (Copy).JPG
Indian Trails.
IMG_0023 (Copy).JPG
An attraction I loved was the Butterfield Stagecoach.
IMG_0024 (Copy).JPG
I can't think of another park that has something like this.
IMG_0025 (Copy).JPG
Judge Roy Bean without 'The Judge' (the ride operator we loved at Six Flags Over Texas!).
IMG_0026 (Copy).JPG
Every Ghost Town needs a saloon.
IMG_0027 (Copy).JPG
And this one puts on a show!
IMG_0028 (Copy).JPG
This reminded me of Silver Dollar City.
IMG_0029 (Copy).JPG
And that is a good thing.
IMG_0030 (Copy).JPG
Another authentic-looking structure in the area.
IMG_0031 (Copy).JPG
In the corner of Ghost Town is Wild Water Wilderness, which hosts two rides that briefly interact.
IMG_0032 (Copy).JPG
First up, Pony Express, which was nothing spectacular. Again, I'm glad the park at least themed the ride to its corner of the park.
IMG_0033 (Copy).JPG
On-ride photo.
IMG_0034 (Copy).JPG
The rapids ride looked fun but very wet (so we didn't ride).
IMG_0035 (Copy).JPG
Photo op!
IMG_0036 (Copy).JPG
The Bird Cage Theater is apparently quite famous.
IMG_0037 (Copy).JPG
It served as the training ground for people like Steve Martin.
IMG_0037A (Copy).JPG
"Look at my booobs!"
IMG_0038 (Copy).JPG
We were a little hungry by this stage.
IMG_0039 (Copy).JPG
We tried a turkey leg, which is not something you ever see downunder. Not my thing at all - it was a little too sinewy!
IMG_0040 (Copy).JPG
Panning for gold - another thing you don't see at too many parks.
IMG_0041 (Copy).JPG
Time to move on!
IMG_0042 (Copy).JPG
The gorgeous Ghost Town & Calico Railroad.
IMG_0043 (Copy).JPG
I was excited to ride the park's famous Timber Mountain Log Ride.
IMG_0044 (Copy).JPG
It was fully refurbished by this point, and looking great.
IMG_0045 (Copy).JPG
A fun ride too!
IMG_0046 (Copy).JPG
Up there with Splash Mountain and Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls for me.
IMG_0047 (Copy).JPG
Another unique attraction at Knott's is the Calico Mine Ride, which has been around since 1960.
IMG_0048 (Copy).JPG
You can see from the queue the park wasn't too busy on our visit.
IMG_0049 (Copy).JPG
Some nice details in the queue.
IMG_0050 (Copy).JPG
The ride was a little strange but definitely fun!
IMG_0051 (Copy).JPG
The inside portions could have done with a refurb, so I'm pleased to see the park has this underway.
IMG_0052 (Copy).JPG
Screamin' Swing on the way to the Boardwalk...
IMG_0053 (Copy).JPG
So this was definitely the most generic Cedar Fair-ish portion of the park, but I still enjoyed the atmosphere.
IMG_0054 (Copy).JPG
The newest rides replaced the former footprint left by Perilous Plunge.
IMG_0055 (Copy).JPG
The Coast Rider wild mouse was a good fit for the Boardwalk.
IMG_0056 (Copy).JPG
It had a few breakdowns on our visit, but we got the credit!
IMG_0057 (Copy).JPG
Yet another Boomerang...I guess this is about as good (or crappy) as the former Corkscrew coaster.
IMG_0058 (Copy).jpg
*Sigh*
IMG_0059 (Copy).JPG
Seriously, what did we do to piss off the Intamin gods so much?!
IMG_0060 (Copy).JPG
Xcelerator looks like a good time.
IMG_0061 (Copy).JPG
We went up the Sky Cabin for some photos.
IMG_0062 (Copy).JPG
We didn't give Supreme Scream a whirl. I prefer space shots, and I believe all three of these towers are turbo drops.
IMG_0063 (Copy).JPG
L.A. was looking pretty good today.
IMG_0064 (Copy).JPG
I love the paint job on this thing!
IMG_0065 (Copy).JPG
New hotness.
IMG_0066 (Copy).jpg
We rounded out our day at Mrs. Knott's Chicken Dinner Restaurant. Great way to end a fun day and an absolutely epic trip. Thanks for reading!

Previous

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive