Photo TR: The Kiwis Do Texas Midwest 2013

The Intamin Cable Strikes Again - Knott’s Berry Farm, pg. 23
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I love donkeys more than me.

Re: Change of Pace at SeaWorld San Antonio

Postby DougMJr » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:00 pm

mattnz wrote:I have no idea what is happening here.

That would be a flyboard. If I would stop spending my money on admission tickets, bashes, and tours I would totally save up to buy one (and a jet-ski to go with it). The board itself is around $6,100 USD, the optional electronic hand throttle (so the jet-ski can go unmanned) is another $1,800 USD.

Hanno, when you get sick of wakeboarding buy this!

Counselor Neil

Re: Photo TR: The Kiwis Do Texas Midwest 2013

Postby televisedconfession » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:49 am

LUNCH WAS AMAZZZZING.

Great updates! Can't wait for more! :)
-Neil or no Deal

Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/8edb82c78b6d77e5bd773746c455c1ca.jpg[/img][/url]

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby SuperShawn » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:14 am

That lunch was awesome! A tasty taco buffet, and then they bring out a Lemur! It was a total win.

Vagina Wreckage

Postby Barge84 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:46 am

SuperShawn wrote:That lunch was awesome! A tasty taco buffet, and then they bring out a Lemur! It was a total win.

Not just a lemur! A lemur that took a huge dump, then jumped on your shoulder!

Loving the report so far. I think your picture of Steel Eel is one of the few times I've seen myself on a ride. I look like I'm bored for some reason, which is weird, because I really liked that ride. I'm probably just disappointed that I was riding with Jake. :p

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby RoCo » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:43 pm

DougMJr wrote:

That would be a flyboard.

I only just learned about these a couple of weeks ago. They look ridiculously fun: http://flyingwatersports.com/

Awesome photos! I've never been to this park and Steel Eel looks and sounds fantastic,
"The Internet? Is that thing still around?"

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Postby FreeFaller » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:01 pm

Another GREAT update, Matt! Keep it up, please! It makes my boring university classes much more enjoyable! :)

Macaroni and Donkey

Postby appleboy007 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:49 pm

Great Report and fantastic photos. Oh, what fond memories. Now, whit that bit of business out of the way... Let the count down for the 2014 TPR Trips begin. :airtime:
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/65025b794a9d00e8f6d5dec29b7b89f7.jpg[/img][/url]

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Summer Adventures Trumps Six Flags Over Texas

Postby mattnz » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:53 am

Cheers for the link on the front page TPR!

New Zealand, 1985: I'm an excited 7 year old kid. A Kiwi cereal company has randomly decided to include collector's cards in their cereal boxes showcasing amusement parks from around the world. I pull out the latest one - Shock Wave at Six Flags Over Texas, and it's immediately my favourite. "Wow," I think to myself, "Two loops!"

Flash forward to 2013: Needless to say I was far more disappointed that Shock Wave was closed than New Texas Giant. Don't get me wrong, NTAG looks absolutely amazing, but I'm really going to have to get on Shock Wave someday, somehow. Six Flags Over Texas do seem invested in the ride, which is a wonderful thing...and the last positive thing I have to say about this park.

Really, Six Flags, you've had a nightmare season with the NTAG accident, wouldn't it have been GOOD for you to have welcomed an enthusiastic group of PAYING roller coaster nerds like Theme Park Review with OPEN ARMS?! Apparently the park was too busy ripping apart their brand new Gerstlauer trains for litigious purposes. If it's Six Flags versus German engineering...all I can say is good luck Six Flags!!

Along with the closure of their best two rides throw in the blazing heat, mediocre operations, surly ride ops and inconsistent policies and that makes for an irritating day. What a shame - because the park really is beautiful, with a long history and some unique rides.

Thank the Intamin gods for Robb and Elissa. The last-minute side trip to Summer Adventures at Fair Park (i.e. the rides section at the State Fair of Texas) was so, so awesome. How can a small midway of rides outside fair time trump a huge corporate park? By being FUN!!! From the small but insane spinning coaster Jungle Twist to the old school Ghost Train to fun on the Flow Rider, Summer Adventures was a good time. And they treated us well. Everyone was so friendly, nice and welcoming - it made going back to Six Flags that night quite depressing. Even just a little consideration can go a long way, and we all left with good vibes.

I wanted to like Six Flags Over Texas so much. It reminded me in many ways of Six Flags Over Georgia. Lots of beauty, charm, history, great rides, promise for the future... I really do hope this season is a blip on their radar and they get their act together. Because I have no intention of going back until they do.
IMG_5044 (Copy).JPG
The view from our hotel room...the bittersweet flagship park of the chain, Six Flags Over Texas.
IMG_4848 (Copy).JPG
It was a swelteringly hot day, which didn't help our general mood, quite frankly.
IMG_4851 (Copy).JPG
The queue for Judge Roy Scream is far removed from the rest of the park.
IMG_4852 (Copy).JPG
I do love an old school out and back woodie, even if it's just for looks.
IMG_4857 (Copy).JPG
The crowds are just rearing to get into the park today.
IMG_4863 (Copy).JPG
These spray fans were very welcome!
IMG_4869 (Copy).JPG
There is themeing all over Six Flags Over Texas - you can see and feel the history of the place.
IMG_4876 (Copy).JPG
TPR were allowed into the park early for first rides of the day on Mr. Freeze Reverse Blast.
IMG_4872 (Copy).JPG
I do love the duel-loading station.
IMG_4874 (Copy).JPG
"Ice to meet you!"
IMG_0656 (Copy).JPG
TPR riders enjoying their reverse blast!
IMG_4879 (Copy).JPG
I enjoyed the reverse Mr. Freeze experience. Having done the forwards version I have to agree with the general consensus - it's great looking down from 200-plus feet in the air...
IMG_4898 (Copy).JPG
The Gotham/pavement portion of the park.
IMG_4892 (Copy).JPG
Another day, another Batman coaster. This...you won't find me complaining about!
IMG_4900 (Copy).JPG
There are numerous areas of the park that look like this, which is not a bad thing at all.
IMG_4881 (Copy).JPG
I was looking forward to Arrow's first ever mine train from 1966. It's old school, but I thought this was one of the best mine trains out there!
IMG_4906 (Copy).JPG
We also gave some love to the Mini Mine Train and it's mean-spirited ride ops. Hands up TPR!
IMG_4886 (Copy).JPG
Ian and I decided to change things up and try a flat ride.
IMG_4893 (Copy).JPG
I do love a Troika! And this one had a cool name: Crazy Legs.
IMG_4887 (Copy).JPG
We had to give the all-new 400-foot tall StarFlyer a whirl...
IMG_0021 (Copy).jpg
Neil has never screamed so much in his life! But...you know what, when you're up there, it's not so bad. Somehow, you end up enjoying the view the immense height offers and forget that you're hanging on for dear life by flimsy chains.
IMG_4909 (Copy).JPG
We gave Pandemoniun a spin, not the first or last Gerstlauer creation we'd ride on this trip!
IMG_4913 (Copy).JPG
We had fun queueing for Bill Cob's creation, Judge Roy Scream, or as we liked to call it, 'The Judge'.
IMG_4915 (Copy).JPG
'The Judge' was also the name we gave the lovely ride op from Minnesota, who provided some of our best memories of the park. I could have listened to her accent all day!
IMG_4923 (Copy).JPG
Not a bad view at all, Six Flags!
IMG_4924 (Copy).JPG
The Looney Tunes area of the park looked pretty good too.
IMG_4928 (Copy).JPG
The Silver Star Carousel.
IMG_4932 (Copy).JPG
Neil feels right at home in Mexico.
IMG_4938 (Copy).JPG
Conquistador is the name of the Intamin Bounty swinging ship in this area. It's a good example of the nice themeing this park actually does have.
IMG_4941 (Copy).JPG
La Vibora was the park's Intamin Swiss Bob credit.
IMG_4943 (Copy).JPG
I'm not sure if we overloaded the train, but we seemed to bounce off the track more than I would have preferred!
IMG_4946 (Copy).JPG
We had to give the world's first ever log flume a go - El Aserradero!
IMG_4948 (Copy).JPG
It was old school alright, and I will never pass up a log flume. I just wish the second flume was operating too.
IMG_4951 (Copy).JPG
We checked out some merch...
IMG_4949 (Copy).JPG
1980s hotness.
IMG_4956 (Copy).JPG
Moving into the Texas portion of the park...
IMG_4959 (Copy).JPG
NTAG dominates the area.
IMG_4960 (Copy).JPG
Alas...
IMG_4963 (Copy).JPG
It's a gorgeous looking ride...
IMG_4966 (Copy).JPG
Nevermind, there's another great ride in this area of the park...
IMG_4968 (Copy).JPG
Titan. Wow! I've been on Goliath at Six Flags Magic Mountain, and I had forgotten how powerful these Giovanola hypercoasters are. The helixes are mind-blowing...with some serious grey-out moments.
IMG_4969 (Copy).JPG
The drops aren't half-bad either, and there's even a bit of air.
IMG_4976 (Copy).JPG
Last credit we needed was Runaway Mountain, an indoor Premier coaster similar to a Hurricane or Windstorm in the dark, and not bad at all.
IMG_4984 (Copy).JPG
Some of the history on display...how nice it would've been to visit this park in better days.
IMG_4988 (Copy).JPG
One of the last attractions we tried was Yosemite Sam and the Gold River Adventure, an old school Arrow water dark ride, that just seemed broken down, dusty, and spoiled by rude, obnoxious ride ops.
IMG_4997 (Copy).JPG
What a Sixtastic day!
IMG_0672 (Copy).JPG
TPR are ready for some Summer Adventures! It was great to see downtown Dallas too.
IMG_0678 (Copy).JPG
The all-new 500 foot Intamin observation tower that goes by the name Top of Texas Tower. Appropriate name!
IMG_0688 (Copy).JPG
The views from up there were fantastic.
IMG_0686 (Copy).JPG
See those two TINY little rides? Both made me fear for my life and thank the Intamin gods I made it off in one piece!
IMG_0704 (Copy).JPG
Queueing for Jungle Twist, you really wouldn't know what's coming...
IMG_5010 (Copy).JPG
Just imagine a tea cups ride on steroids. We're talking a ridiculous amount of spinning!
IMG_5022 (Copy).JPG
There were also points when we rode this contraption next door that I didn't think I'd make it out alive. What a ride cycle! (Thanks Neil!!)
IMG_0702 (Copy).JPG
What is an 'Island of Cats and Dogs'? Why, it's a show, of course!
IMG_5013 (Copy).JPG
There were two other credits here...including this Windstorm coaster, which had an awesome and funny ride op spraying water by request - and boy did we need that sort of treatment today!
IMG_5038 (Copy).JPG
The ride was also really good!
IMG_5018 (Copy).JPG
Summer Adventures also had a log flume. Yay for another log flume credit.
IMG_5019 (Copy).JPG
The Bubble House was a fantastic fun house with lots of tricks, a DJ, and plenty of soapy bubbles!
IMG_5025 (Copy).JPG
Not to mention a clown to haunt your dreams.
IMG_5024 (Copy).JPG
I loved the karaoke sing-a-long!
IMG_5027 (Copy).JPG
Love this building too.
IMG_5031 (Copy).JPG
The park had an amazing ghost train!
20130801_172608 (Copy).jpg
This awesome ride op really got some TPR members by the jugular!
IMG_5032 (Copy).JPG
Boogedy boogedy boo!!
IMG_5033 (Copy).JPG
TPDave was somehow immune.
IMG_5036 (Copy).JPG
Some TPR members dared to ride this crazy thing...
20130801_180707 (Copy).jpg
A lot of TPR members also checked out the Flowrider, which the park ran for us at double capacity.
IMG_5059 (Copy).JPG
We did go back to Six Flags for some night rides. Mr. Freeze was particularly good, but what can I say, I'd rather ride Shock Wave... Thanks nonetheless Robb and Elissa for totally saving today and making it awesome. I don't know how you did it, but you did!
Last edited by mattnz on Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:29 pm.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Change of Pace at SeaWorld San Antonio

Postby Hhappy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:04 am

DougMJr wrote:

That would be a flyboard. If I would stop spending my money on admission tickets, bashes, and tours I would totally save up to buy one (and a jet-ski to go with it). The board itself is around $6,100 USD, the optional electronic hand throttle (so the jet-ski can go unmanned) is another $1,800 USD.

Hanno, when you get sick of wakeboarding buy this!

That's actually on my bucket list of things I want to try one day.. Not sure if i'm willing to spent the money to buy one.. (yet)
I'm dutch.. not much i can do about that
My coasters/parks and other stuff photo's

Vagina Wreckage

Postby Barge84 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:52 am

The ride op on the Ghost Train was awesome. TPDave pulled me aside before we rode and said, "Don't tell Shawn, but there's scare actors on this ride." Throughout the entire ride I kept waiting for something to happen, but nothing did. I assumed that TPDave was just messing with me. As we came out of the last door I figured the ride was over. That's when the ride op showed up with the giant hand! It caught me off guard and actually scared me a little. Your picture of Michael and Colin getting scared is by far my favorite picture! Michael is freaking out! Great stuff.

I was going through some pictures last night and found one of you guys riding the mini mine train at SFOT. Enjoy!

photo(3).JPG
Whores

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive