Photo TR: The Kiwis Do Texas Midwest 2013

The Intamin Cable Strikes Again - Knott’s Berry Farm, pg. 23
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: The Kiwis Do Texas Midwest 2013

Postby beatle11 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:04 pm

Shame you guys missed I-305. It's definitely worth coming back to ride it.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby Double0Kevin » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:50 am

Wow, too bad about the delayed openings. When I visited back in 2011 the only ride I think opened late as Shockwave. I also visited on an extremely slow day but everything else was going rights off the bat. By the time I had finished everything else, Shockwave opened and beat me so badly I forgot all the other rides and rode them again as if they were brand new to me :lmao: . I also had a similar experience though, I was lucky to ride I305 (my No. 1 coaster) but Volcano was closed all day. It was a major bummer for me because up until I305, that was the ride to go to KD for, and I wanted to ride SO BAD! Alas, another trip will need to be made.

KD gets overlook for it's beauty. It really is a great looking park, but with BGW down the road, it's hard to appreciate KD.

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby Werner » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:42 am

And another great update from the Kiwi's... :b To bad I305 was down for your visit, well that makes for a good reason to come back. :) Can't wait to read the next update with Busch Gardens... :lover: :lover:

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Location: Perth, Australia (3500 kms away from the nearest Intamin)

Postby deano » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:29 am

Thanks for the TR, looks like you guys are having fun and yes I am jealous.

I know the feeling of an Intamin being down when you travel halfway around the world with the expectations of riding it, when Top Thrill was closed on our first trip to CP I could have cried... Looking back it was no big deal as I have ridden dozens of better coasters since, I305 however, there's not much better than that.

Seeing your pics of Flight Of Fear made me remember when my Oakley's got stolen out of the property box while the wife and I were riding it.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Beautiful Busch Gardens Williamsburg

Postby mattnz » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:45 pm

Next up on our journey after the awesome TPR Texas Midwest trip was beautiful Busch Gardens Williamsburg, and 'beautiful' really is the word to use to describe this wonderful place. There are very few parks I've visited where I can't think of a single thing to critique, and Busch Gardens Williamsburg is one of them, up there with Knoebel's and Silver Dollar City for me.

So what makes the place so special? Aside from the beauty and upkeep of the park, which you'll see in these photos, the setting is one of the best things about it. The park's location is perfect for terrain coasters, and they certainly use the terrain well. You can view the park from up high by taking a round trip on the Skyride, which has three different legs, providing amazing views.

The coasters are all excellent, with some stand-out B&Ms, including Alpengeist, Apollo's Chariot and Griffon. Loch Ness Monster is an iconic ride that I've wanted to ride all my life, so it was great to finally get on this unique, and very fun, Arrow coaster. Finally, Verbolten was a big surprise for us, and I really enjoyed the tricks inside the event building. I had heard mixed reports about the ride, but I think it's an absolutely perfect fit for the park, and rather undderated among coaster enthusiasts too.

The Curse of DarKastle was another surprise, and much better than I was expecting, having been on Spider-Man at Islands of Adventure. I had also read somewhere that the park was light on flat rides, but that's not true at all! I can count off multiple flats without thinking too hard about it, and some of them were rather rare too.

Rides aside, there is plenty at Busch Gardens Williamsburg to occupy your day, and if you weren't into thrills you'd still find some fun things to do, especially if you like animal exhibits and shows.

With the beauty, setting, themeing and great rides, add excellent customer service and you can count me as a big fan of Busch Gardens Williamsburg. We visited the sister park in Tampa (stay tuned for the TR), and I definitely preferred this park. I look forward to visiting again in the very near future.
IMG_0001 (Copy).JPG
We finally made it to England! Busch Gardens' version that is.
IMG_0002 (Copy).JPG
It started out a bit gloomy today but the weather steadily improved for us.
IMG_0003 (Copy).JPG
Next door to England is Scotland (duh...), famous for the park's Highland Stables, featuring beautiful Clydesdales horses.
IMG_0004 (Copy).JPG
In Scotland you'll also find the Loch Ness Monster!
IMG_0005 (Copy).JPG
I didn't realise this ride was as well-themed as any at the park.
IMG_0006 (Copy).JPG
Station shot.
IMG_0007 (Copy).JPG
We thoroughly enjoyed the Loch Ness Monster! But to photograph it you have to go down this steep hill to the river...
IMG_0008 (Copy).jpg
The money shot!
IMG_0009 (Copy).JPG
Another view of the famous interlocking loops.
IMG_0010 (Copy).JPG
I love how the coaster begins with a big drop over the river before a turnaround, this second drop and first loop. The rest of the ride is fun too, with an enclosed helix followed by a second lift and final loop de loop. A real classic.
IMG_0011 (Copy).JPG
The river also provides great photo ops for some of the other coasters in the park.
IMG_0012 (Copy).JPG
This viewing area is deceiving though! It takes a LONG time to get to Alpengeist from here - it's on the other side of the park even though it's just a stone's throw away from the Loch Ness Monster.
IMG_0013 (Copy).JPG
One last shot!
IMG_0014 (Copy).JPG
We wandered around the park in a clockwise direction.
IMG_0014A (Copy).JPG
The train goes clockwise too, and we got a ride in later on in the day.
IMG_0015 (Copy).JPG
Next up was Sesame Street Forest of Fun!
IMG_0016 (Copy).JPG
Lots of things for the kids to enjoy.
IMG_0017 (Copy).JPG
The area is also home to a Zierer junior coaster named Grover's Alpine Express. I can't recall if adults can ride this or not, but we opted not to try. We get embarrassed in our credit whoring without TPR!
IMG_0018 (Copy).JPG
Moving onto Italy we came across Escape from Pompeii.
IMG_0019 (Copy).JPG
This is how to take a simple shoot-the-chutes and theme the hell out of it.
IMG_0020 (Copy).JPG
We rode later in the day and enjoyed it despite some obnoxious teenagers behind us. Anything with fire effects is fun!
IMG_0020A (Copy).JPG
Beautiful Italy!
IMG_0021 (Copy).JPG
Across this bridge was the Festa Italia area, themed around Marco Polo and Roman mythology.
IMG_0022 (Copy).JPG
Urgh, at least it's well themed...
IMG_0023 (Copy).JPG
We were looking forward to B&M's very first mega coaster.
IMG_0024 (Copy).JPG
Apollo's Chariot was fun, with some nice elements to it making for a top tier B&M. But this was the only photo I took - the ride goes way out into the distant terrain and is hard to photograph!
IMG_0025 (Copy).JPG
There were quite a few flat rides in Festa Italia.
IMG_0026 (Copy).JPG
Who says this park is lacking in flats?!
IMG_0027 (Copy).JPG
There is also a rapids ride tucked away in the far corner of Festa Italia.
IMG_0028 (Copy).JPG
Around the corner is San Marco which we thought was the most beautiful area of the entire park.
IMG_0030 (Copy).JPG
Stunning!
IMG_0031 (Copy).JPG
I loved Da Vinci's Garden of Inventions and the uniquely themed rides. We gave Da Vinci's Cradle a spin.
IMG_0032 (Copy).JPG
Well, what's this? ANOTHER flat ride!
IMG_0033 (Copy).JPG
Even the kiddie rides were beautifully themed.
IMG_0034 (Copy).JPG
We could have spent the whole day exploring San Marco.
IMG_0035 (Copy).JPG
Especially because of this...
IMG_0036 (Copy).JPG
Yay, wine!
IMG_0037 (Copy).JPG
This long suspension bridge led to Germany. Anyone know what all the pirate stuff is about?
IMG_0038 (Copy).JPG
A look back to the Loch Ness Monster.
IMG_0039 (Copy).JPG
We didn't take the boat ride this visit.
IMG_0039A (Copy).JPG
It looked very pleasant.
IMG_0040 (Copy).JPG
Looking over the other side of the bridge.
IMG_0041 (Copy).JPG
Next up: Verbolten!
IMG_0042 (Copy).JPG
The nicely themed queue.
IMG_0043 (Copy).JPG
The spiel in the station with the German woman shouting "auf wiedersehen" must drive the ride ops crazy!
IMG_0044 (Copy).JPG
The ride itself is excellent.
IMG_0045 (Copy).JPG
We loved it! Especially the launches, show building and fun 'drop' track.
IMG_0046 (Copy).JPG
This drop was fun too.
IMG_0047 (Copy).JPG
I love how the park pays tribute to the Big Bad Wolf with a similar final drop on Verbolten.
IMG_0048 (Copy).JPG
In all, we thought Verbolten was a big win for Busch Gardens.
IMG_0049 (Copy).JPG
The lines were quite long all day long.
IMG_0050 (Copy).JPG
I guess if you don't want to ride you can pet some sheep?
IMG_0051 (Copy).JPG
Nearby was Mäch Tower, which was closed all day long, the only disappointing element of our visit.
IMG_0052 (Copy).JPG
I was intrigued to ride, so it was annoying to see it testing all day without opening. Bugger.
IMG_0053 (Copy).JPG
We ate in the Oktoberfest hall.
IMG_0054 (Copy).JPG
Who needs to go to the real one when you have a great recreation right here in Virginia! (Though seriously I would love to go to Oktoberfest someday...)
IMG_0055 (Copy).JPG
We were entertained while we ate.
IMG_0056 (Copy).JPG
Oktoberfest has a nice, authentic feel to it.
IMG_0057 (Copy).JPG
Next up was the Curse of DarKastle.
IMG_0058 (Copy).JPG
This was another surprise for us. Again, some middling reviews had lowered our expectations. We thought it was GREAT!
IMG_0059 (Copy).JPG
After we took this photo we saw a sign saying this was for children only. Whoops!
IMG_0060 (Copy).JPG
BOOBS!!!
IMG_0061 (Copy).JPG
The Land of the Dragons was pretty cute.
IMG_0062 (Copy).JPG
We finally made it all the way around the park to ride Alpengeist. I thought the queue was gorgeous. But there seemed to be no one riding today. It was a walk on.
IMG_0063 (Copy).JPG
That is a looong way up.
IMG_0064 (Copy).JPG
The coaster is absolutely enormous.
IMG_0065 (Copy).JPG
I liked the sweeping first drop.
IMG_0066 (Copy).JPG
As others have noted, Alpengeist's elements are so oversized, the ride seems kind of drawn out, taking away a bit of the intensity. (B&M's NEED intensity to be good!)
IMG_0067 (Copy).JPG
But it's still pretty forceful, and a great ride, aided up the absolutely amazing setting.
IMG_0068 (Copy).JPG
We gave Le Scoot a ride. It was a short but fun log flume.
IMG_0068A (Copy).JPG
New France had an outdoor grill that smelled fantastic. How 'Silver Dollar City' of them!
IMG_0069 (Copy).JPG
In France we found Griffon.
IMG_0069A (Copy).JPG
Yay for our first-ever B&M dive machine!
IMG_0070 (Copy).JPG
This is a good gimmick to get your heart racing...
IMG_0070A (Copy).JPG
...because it works!
IMG_0071A (Copy).JPG
90 degrees!
IMG_0072 (Copy).JPG
You really feel the Gs at this point.
IMG_0072A (Copy).JPG
Griffon was a fun ride.
IMG_0073 (Copy).JPG
Fun to photograph too!
IMG_0074 (Copy).JPG
Parks should build these instead of wing coasters.
IMG_0076 (Copy).JPG
Splash downs are always fun to watch.
IMG_0077 (Copy).JPG
Especially when people make faces like these!
IMG_0077A (Copy).JPG
Continuing around the park you come to an area with animals, including wolves, which was pretty cool.
IMG_0078 (Copy).JPG
Not to mention eagles!
IMG_0079 (Copy).JPG
We were disappointed to see this ride closed for a Howl-O-Scream refit. Europe in the Air seems to get bad reviews, so that means we'll probably like it, right?
IMG_0080 (Copy).JPG
There wasn't much else to do in Ireland...
IMG_0081 (Copy).JPG
But it was pretty.
IMG_0082 (Copy).JPG
So that takes us around the whole park. Of course we didn't quite do the park in a clockwise manner...
IMG_0083 (Copy).JPG
Not when they have a Skyride to help you get around. Leg no. 1 took us back over Ireland.
IMG_0084 (Copy).JPG
It was a long way up at some points!
IMG_0084A (Copy).JPG
Across to France.
IMG_0086 (Copy).JPG
Griffon just looks amazing from up here.
IMG_0087 (Copy).JPG
That's a steep lift!
IMG_0088 (Copy).JPG
Leg no. 2 of the Skyride took us across Griffon's brake run.
IMG_0089 (Copy).JPG
And onwards to Germany.
IMG_0090 (Copy).JPG
Back into the Land of the Dragons.
IMG_0092 (Copy).JPG
Leg no. 3 took us back over the river. Great views of all the rides from up here.
IMG_0093 (Copy).JPG
We loved taking the Skyride. It was a nice ending to a fantastic day.
IMG_0094 (Copy).JPG
Thank you for a great day Busch Gardens Williamsburg. We'll be back!

Postby netdvn » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:42 pm

The pirate stuff was there for Howl O Scream. Since pirates was the new thing this year, the park decided to place emphasis on that.

Glad you liked Busch. The coasters here are pretty amazing. Eurpoe in the Air on the other hand... I'm glad that's gone.
Artwork - Facebook - Flickr - DeviantART - Instagram -Geauga Lake Reborn! M&M's World - Don't look back as you brave the Black Forest BGW/KD Crowd Calendar

Postby beatle11 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:53 pm

This park is easily the most beautifully landscaped park I've been to, by alot. On top of that, they have a very solid coaster collection and excellent food all over the park too. Great pics!

Don't put that donkey on the floor!

Postby kidcoaster 2 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:15 pm

One of my favorite parks! Hopefully my next visit is as quiet as yours was. Thanks for the pics!

Vagina Wreckage

Postby Barge84 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:08 pm

I've been to BGW twice in my life (each of the last 2 summers) and it's quickly becoming one of my favorite parks. Great collection of ride, absolutely the most beautiful park I've been to, and even the food is amazing. Honestly, even you guys wouldn't like Europe in the Air. It's terrible!

If they do a food and wine festival again this year I might try to get out there for it.

Beware of the freeze-dried donkey!

Postby The Great Zo » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:24 am

You captured a lot of the things I liked about my first-ever visit to BGW this year. Really liked the pictures from down near the water, and Griffon is quite photogenic, as you found. As for Europe in the Air, you missed only nausea! :lmao:
-- Andy
Trip Reports: 2013 BG/KD -- 2013 TPR -- 2014 KI -- 2014 TPR -- 2015 TPR
Trip Reports: 2015 CP -- 2017 FL -- 2017 CP -- 2017 TPR -- 2018 FC -- 2018 CA

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive