Photo TR: Chuck Finally Returns to Japan with TPR

Update, September 18: Tokyo DisneySea
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Re: Photo TR: Chuck Finally Returns to Japan with TPR

Postby Garet » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:16 am

cfc wrote:It was nice to have a relatively "laid back" day at Fuji Q, but it's still not a park I would recommend to anyone, unless they were diehard credit whores--and then only if they were willing to spring for the passes.

Or in my case just morbid curiosity to see how much the stories hold true..... so much so that an ATM ate my debit card so I had to have the full no fast pass experience of fuji-q.

"Excuse me, miss, may I pound my large rooster into your donkey?"

Postby rctneil » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:03 am

To give Fuji Q a credit, Dodonpa is a cracking ride. The launch is epic and the top hat is just out-of-your-seat insane! Takabisha is a nice addition to the park, good length too, and Eejanaika is still rather unique among coasters and they can make a good change from standard coasters (even if they are not the smoothest of rides.).

But overall, It's 100% the staff, operations and weird non consistent rules that make Fuji Q an annoying park to visit, rather than the ride selection.

Wondering who has the photo of the fastpass sign with all the coaster logos crossed out due to Elissa buying them all! How many did you end up buying that day?
TRIPS:
West Coast Tour 2009 - || - Middle America 2010 - || - IntimidaTOUR 2010 - || - Best of China 2012
Taiwan 2013 - || - Japan 2013 - || Scandinavia 2014
[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/5a7b5ea10f265e536d315d1bd5a624a7.jpg[/img][/url]

I teach at the school of donkey!

Postby attack7 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:51 pm

Elissa and Robb did a crazy good job of keeping us on track that day... turned out to be awesome.

I loved takabisha and the haunted hospital..... Eejanika, on the other hand, should be turn down. I had shaken baby syndrome after.

-M

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:28 pm

^I'm not a fan of Eejanika, either--it was really bad in 2007, anyway, so I didn't bother with it this time.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:29 pm

^ Yeah, it did me in too, after that interminable 3+ hour wait we had to endure.
So I passed on this tour, no brainer.

I actually hesitated on the X4 in China we ERT-d on, in that Dinosaur Park. (?)
But then, I got challenged on my age - so I grrred and got on it - and I
still don't like the things, lol.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:22 pm

Chapter 10
How to Purge Your Soul of Fuji Q: Tokyo Disneyland

When I returned to the Hilton that night, I reeked of Fuji Q. Yes, I could smell it on my clothes, and it emanated out of my pores, leaving a cloud of funk behind me as I made my way through the lobby to the elevators. Other guests shunned me--unless they, too, had been to Fuji Q.

And that was after a good day there.

OK, I exaggerate. A bit.

I spent a nice evening Ikspiari with Aussie Steve, Priscilla, Robert, Neil, and Virginia Beach Steve in search of food--a very nice meal at a pork-cutlet joint. The Fuji Q curse was nearly purged from our souls. Only one more step before total purity was achieved . . . Tokyo Disneyland.

TDL is California Disneyland on steroids, overlaid with Florida's Magic Kingdom. Yes, it is sort of "Disney's Greatest Hits," and borrows from both the U.S. parks--for example, California's version of Pirates of the Caribbean and Florida's version of the Jungle Cruise. But there are a number of things unique to this park, such as the Monsters Inc. ride and, of course, Pooh's Hunny Hunt--the amazing trackless dark ride that even rabid Pooh haters love. Another interesting difference is the train ride. Here, it has only one station and just makes a circuit around Adventureland and Westernland--with a touch of the Primeval world along the way, from what I understand. Why only one stop? Because if it made multiple stops, it would be taxed under Japanese law as a form of "transportation." (I'm still kicking myself for missing this ride yet again--never rode it in 2007, either.)

Well, let's just go in, shall we?
001.jpg
This is not Fuji Q; soon, its shadow shall be driven from my soul.
002.jpg
Dinner at Ikspiari, anyone?
003.jpg
OK, who wants a pork cutlet? That’s good, because we’re in a pork-cutlet restaurant.
004.jpg
Back to the Hilton, which this hotel is not. That is, not the Hilton.
005.jpg
It’s hard to believe that Tokyo Disneyland has been here 30 years. My Mom visited the park as part of a tour of Japan back in the 1980s.
006.jpg
Welcome to the International Bazaar, the only Disney “Main Street” with a roof.
006a.jpg
Guests were supposed to post their wishes for the year on this tower. Based on recent park announcements, I’m betting that many of these wishes involved RMC.
007.jpg
Am I in Japan or Florida? The former would be awesome, but the latter would be very nice, too. ;)
008.jpg
Yes, it’s only about four hours until the first parade--reserve your space now to avoid disappointment.
009.jpg
Most people believe that this ride is about Pooh looking for “hunny.” In reality, it’s all about helping Pooh to overcome his addiction to “H.”
010.jpg
This garden was installed to provide a healthy environment for Pooh’s rehab. It didn’t work.
011.jpg
This is Pooh’s personal map of places where he can score H. Notice the prominence of "the Sticky Place." It's where all the H fiends hang out.
012.jpg
Pooh’s eating disorder is related to H and marijuana, which he smokes to “mellow out” with Eyore.
013.jpg
Rabbit decides that "tough love" is necessary to save Pooh from himself. But does this sexual humiliation go too far?
013a.jpg
Piglet provides corporal punishment. Pooh rather enjoys it.
014.jpg
At last, Pooh hits bottom. But is he truly cured? Rumor has it that he's back at "the Sticky Place."
015.jpg
Now there’s a duck who knows how to kick back and enjoy life. Why? Because he makes a fortune supplying Pooh with H!
016.jpg
This fountain makes random flatulent noises. At least, I hope it was the fountain.
017.jpg
Toontown was fraught with peril. Fortunately, my catlike reflexes saved me.
018.jpg
Dan was not so lucky.
019.jpg
Nor was KT.
020.jpg
Wet with the blood of flattened guests, no doubt! Beware of falling safes and pianos in Toontown!
021.jpg
Oh, boy! I love Space Mountain!
022.jpg
Lets queue up . . . oh, crap, that's right.
023.jpg
We substituted popcorn experimentation to make up for the loss of Space Mountain.
024.jpg
Tokyo Disneyland now has the new version of Star Tours. Looks like it’s a hit.
025.jpg
Soylent Green is people! More to come.
Last edited by cfc on Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:55 pm.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:40 pm

I hope the sight of the Little Green Dumplings didn't disturb you. I'm compensating by showing you photos of rodent-shaped waffles next.
026 - Copy.jpg
Although this looks like a Mickey waffle, it is, in fact, an enormous communion wafer. This lady cranks them out by the dozens.
027 - Copy.jpg
The body and blood of Mickey. (If Mickey were to eat one of these waffles, would that constitute ritual cannibalism?)
028 - Copy.jpg
Now, most of the group disliked this popcorn, but I thought it was OK. Not as good as curry, though.
029 - Copy.jpg
These people appear to be waiting for something--perhaps a parade? It remains a puzzlement.
030 - Copy.jpg
Robb and Jon wax nostalgic about the old days working at California Disneyland.
031 - Copy.jpg
I don’t think Robb and Jon dished out pork-and-stir-fried-noodle crepes at California DL, though.
032 - Copy.jpg
“So, ye be seekin’pork-and-stir-fried-noodle crepes, eh? Well, ye come to the proper place.”
033 - Copy.jpg
“Arr! These pork-and-stir-fried-noodle crepes be cursed, sez I!”
"Dea-d-d-d-d Men-n-n-n eat no-o-o-o crepes!"
034 - Copy.jpg
“Oh, man, this is gonna look bad on my employee evaluation! I suck at docking boats.”
035 - Copy.jpg
Although Jungle Cruise is always fun anywhere, unlike Jaws, it is not improved by being in Japanese.
036 - Copy.jpg
“Here they come--start flingin’ those feces!”
037 - Copy.jpg
Remember: We must do all we can to save the animatronic hippos. Here we observe these adorable creature as they engage in a courtship ritual . . .
038 - Copy.jpg
. . . . OH MY GOD, IT’S COMING RIGHT AT US! KILL IT NOW!
039 - Copy.jpg
OK, I’ve calmed down. Please help save the animatronic hippos, as local businesses depend on the tourism they generate.
040 - Copy.jpg
Japan’s Haunted Mansion, which is located in Fantasyland, is a bit “old school” compared to the ones in the U.S.
041.jpg
“For the love of god, Montressor!”
042.jpg
“‘Yes,’ I said. ‘For the love of god.’”
043.jpg
Robb takes pictures for money. All proceeds go to saving the animatronic hippos.
044.jpg
“We are waiting for you, Angus McNasty.”
045.jpg
She burst into flames as soon as she entered the Haunted Mansion.
046.jpg
I wonder if he aged well?
047.jpg
Apparently not.
048.jpg
Must be the maid’s century off.
049.jpg
Look! There’s a juice bar down here!
050.jpg
Sheesh! This is one tough juice bar to find.
051.jpg
“There ain’t no juice bar in here, feller. You’re welcome to share this dead rat I’m a sittin’ on, though. It's kinda juicy."
052.jpg
Damn! Forgot to reserve my spot for the parade again. They only have them every ten minutes or so.
053.jpg
Hipster Ben Franklin in Japan? Well, why not.
054.jpg
Soylent White is Mickey! Still more to come.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:54 pm

Best get a move on--we gotta grab some yakitori, then be back by dark. And Tokyo Disneyland really looks great after dark.
055.jpg
Tokyo Disneyland is a park designed to handle huge crowds--and it often does.
056.jpg
We finally got around to Monsters Inc. I liked this ride quite a bit. It's not as good as Pooh's Hunny Hunt, but it'll do.
057.jpg
This reminds me of the murals that used to line the entrance of Tomorrowland in California--that “Mary Blair” look.
058.jpg
Crap! I’m supposed to check in for a job interview, but the receptionist is on break.
059.jpg
“Something snarky in Japanese.”
060.jpg
The ride vehicles look like golf carts to me.
061.jpg
Meanwhile, back in Tokyo, the annual baby-wrestling championships are in full swing.
062.jpg
Robb says there’s a yakitori bar around here somewhere.
062a.jpg
And he spoke right and true! When it comes to coasters and yakitori, Robb knows his stuff.
063.jpg
Bring on the meat on sticks.
064.jpg
Now that is an interesting way to rig a toilet.
065.jpg
It’s an election year. What’s the Japanese character for “BS”?
066.jpg
“You ate the yakitori, yet I am the one who is constipated. Most illogical.”
067.jpg
How about an evening at TDL?
068.jpg
Look at all that 30th-anniversary bling.
069.jpg
Yep--the castle is all tarted up for a party.
070.jpg
The Fantasyland side of the castle is bit more subdued and classy.
071.jpg
OK, this is closed. But it does look nice.
072.jpg
But this is open--and it isn't quite as nice looking after dark.
073.jpg
OK, I know these are “evil” robots and all, but that’s a low blow.
074.jpg
“Remember, cadets: when it doubt, go for the family jewels!”
075.jpg
Star Tours is a great ride after dark. (Well, the outside looks nice, anyway.)
076.jpg
“Admiral Ackbar Cereal: Your taste buds cannot handle flavor of this magnitude!”
077.jpg
“Oh, dear. This whole ride is just an excuse to sell Admiral Ackbar Cereal.”
078.jpg
Hitchhiking droid panhandlers were a serious problem long ago in a galaxy far, far away. And they love Admiral Ackbar Cereal!
079.jpg
“One second, while I take an embarrassing thermal image of your naked body. I love my job!”
080.jpg
"Welcome to Star Tours, which is brought to you by the makers of Admiral Ackbar Cereal--both original and ewok flavored.
081.jpg
It’s getting late, but Monsters Inc. still has a pretty long line.
082.jpg
Happy Anniversary, Tokyo Disney castle.
083.jpg
It’s difficult to leave.
084.jpg
Still, there is DisneySea tomorrow.
085.jpg
Enjoy your “Happiness Year” Tokyo Disneyland. That's all for now.

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:56 am

I don't think that toilet with the sink is ADA approved!

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:18 am

^My Dad jury rigged a garden hose to refill a toilet flush tank once, rather than calling in a plumber. This temporary fix lasted for about 20 years.

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive