Photo TR: Chuck Finally Returns to Japan with TPR

Update, September 18: Tokyo DisneySea
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Photo TR: Chuck Finally Returns to Japan with TPR

Postby cfc » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:26 pm

Guy T. Koepp wrote:So it's kinda the Fight Club of walk through attractions? Yes?

If I told you what happened in Murder Lodge, I'd have to kill you!

Well, probably not.
Last edited by cfc on Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:27 pm.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:08 pm

cfc wrote:If I told you what happened in Murder Lodge, I'd have to kill you!

With plastic cutlery and a place setting? :p

(I don't even know where this attraction was, in the park.)
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:41 pm

^It was in an arcade. In Murder Lodge, you essentially sit in a room and become part of a story (like some of the attractions at Joypolis); in this case, it's a story of murder most foul! (I think. It was all in Japanese, and it does end with the cops showing up.)

I just made a donkey in No Limits!

Postby The Westate » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:16 am

Does Godzila kill evryone?

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:15 am

^Actually . . .

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby RoCo » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:10 pm

Maybe it was just the unending joy of being on this trip, or maybe it was the easy availability of busty, scantily-clad collectible figurines at this park, but something had me in the right mood when I rode Rusutsu's SLC. I remember it as being very not-awful. Almost fun, actually, sort of. Certainly, I've ridden much, much worse versions.

But yes, all other coasters here were completely pwned by the dive-loop Ultra-Twister. We need to resurrect Togo and have them make more.

Thanks again, Chuck, for these updates. It's such a pleasure to relive the entire experience.
"The Internet? Is that thing still around?"

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:28 pm

Chapter 8
Meanwhile, Back in Tokyo: Joypolis and Tokyo Teleport

Although the pull of the Sapporo Bier Garten was strong, we had to leave Sapporo and return to Tokyo. I really enjoyed visiting Hokkaido, and wouldn't mind returning some day. But there was much more southern Japan awesomeness to experience.

Our first stop after arriving at Haneda Airport was the sensory overload that is Joypolis at Tokyo Teleport. This is one of the most elaborate arcades you'll ever see--three levels of very Japanese craziness that gives off a soft blue glow. It's the home of Veil of Dark: The Shooting Coaster, which is a big improvement over the ride that used to be there, the painful Spin Bullet, which was like something cooked up by the Spanish Inquisition to force confessions out of heretics. Veil consists of a shooting-dark-ride section, where you take on various monsters from the bowels of hell, followed by a launched spinning mouse with an inversion right over the floor of Joypolis. The ride is a lot of fun (particularly the dark-ride section).

The rest of Joypolis consists of various video games (even in the bathrooms), both familiar and unfamiliar; simulators (for auto racing, river rafting, and other sports); and bizarre "haunted" attractions (such as very creepy House of the Living Dolls). There's even an enormous Half-Pipe in which you're strapped to a giant skateboard.

We had nearly a whole day to explore Joypolis and the rest of the Tokyo Teleport area. Here's a look.
001.jpg
Hmm--not so sure I want to fly "J Class" on Japan Air Lines. It looks kind of scary, and those two guys are seriously creepy.
002.jpg
What's this? The headquarters of Ultra Man and the Science Patrol?
003.jpg
Joypolis dead ahead.
004.jpg
It's next to the world's most disturbing McDonald's.
005.jpg
Welcome to the future!
006.jpg
In the future, we will all wear cute retro uniforms like this.
007.jpg
So, what is there to see in this Joypolis?
008.jpg
How about terrified British people?
009.jpg
"Interesting" souvenirs?
010.jpg
Or giant rodents that can move at the speed of sound?
011.jpg
Veil of Dark has one of the coolest entrance signs ever.
012.jpg
As you can see from this high-quality photo, those who ride the Half-Pipe are often transported through an inter-dimensional vortex and never seen again.
013.jpg
This is the only photo I have of Veil of Dark that isn't hopelessly blurry.
014.jpg
I rode it twice, but can't remember my scores. I can guarantee that I was neither a "Legend" nor a "Master."
015.jpg
Yes, this simulator is much like the drive to work I make in my Saturn each day. An editor's life is fraught with peril.
016.jpg
I was glad that House of the Living Dolls was still there. This is another one of those creepy shows where you sit around a table while scary things happen in Japanese.
017.jpg
Hmm--what if multiple staff come? Would they be "staves"?
018.jpg
Oh my god! Joypolis has srpung a leak! Run for your lives!
019.jpg
Maybe we should pray to god, even though he looks a bit constipated.
020.jpg
I could sure go for a nice "stake" or "humberger." This brings to mind an old Three Stooges joke.
Moe: Would you rather they burn you at the stake or chop off your head?
Curly: Burn me at the stake, because a hot stake is better than a cold chop! [SLAP] Ow!
021.jpg
There's a nice view out behind Joypolis.
022.jpg
So, I guess this is a "mediocre" Japanese establishment?
023.jpg
You have to love Japan. This was right around the corner . . .
024.jpg
. . . from this. More to come.
Last edited by cfc on Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:29 pm.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:46 pm

So, we had the better part of a day to explore Tokyo Teleport. Some of us wandered past the Teleport train station to Mega Web, a big shopping, dining, and amusement complex that housed Toyota City Showcase--which is sort of a combination theme park and car dealership. There were a bunch of other stores there, too.
025.jpg
How's this for a specialty shop? Unlike a drug store, there's no need to be embarrassed while buying condoms here--that's all they sell.
026.jpg
I think their other big hits were "Rubber Band Man," "Big 10-Inch Record," and "Let's Get Drunk and Screw."
027.jpg
Off to Mega Web!
028.jpg
You see--it is as I told you.
029.jpg
Welcome to the strangest car dealership ever.
030.jpg
"You are here"--where you can't smoke.
031.jpg
Of course there's a Mega Theater. We're in Mega Web!
032.jpg
I wonder if Condomania has something to cover 380 inches?
033.jpg
You can also buy all sorts of ridiculously expensive car paraphernalia here.
034.jpg
Yeah, we actually did this.
035.jpg
Your mission is to pedal a little hybrid scooter around this course and not break any laws. It's harder than it sounds, especially when you have to pedal up a ramp.
036.jpg
When the staff enticed us to try it, no one was around. But as soon as three Americans and a Brit started pedaling around, there was quite a crowd of Japanese people watching and laughing.
037.jpg
"OK, what do I have to do to make sure you drive this baby off the lot today? Let's deal!"
037a.jpg
Stop Dan! He's stealing this car! More to come from Tokyo Teleport.
Last edited by cfc on Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:54 am.

I've gone pantless!

Postby cfc » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:05 pm

One last look at Mega Web and Tokyo Teleport, home of some rather "interesting" shopping opportunities.
038.jpg
Oh my god. Looks like "Cute" just puked all over this place.
039.jpg
Do they have capsule machines? Such a silly question!
040.jpg
This guy was so ugly he was awesome; ergo, I had to buy him.
041.jpg
Is this the Japanese version of Spencer Gifts?
042.jpg
They do have all sorts of miscellaneous crap.
043.jpg
Some of what they have is downright disturbing.
044.jpg
Remember, you serve curry from this plate. Don't confuse it with a real toilet. You'll get to the real thing soon enough after eating the curry.
045.jpg
This "sumo wrestler" game was built by Togo. So, I guessing I would've been in for a painful experience, had it been working.
046.jpg
Night begins to fall.
047.jpg
Yes, Tokyo Teleport is a very cool looking place.
048.jpg
We didn't ride the obligatory giant Ferris wheel this time.
049.jpg
But I did take this artsy photo of it.
050.jpg
Time to head for final hotel of the trip at . . .
051.jpg
. . . yay!
052.jpg
This is a very nice Hilton, indeed.
053.jpg
Our room had a great view, as well. But this wasn't our next destination. Yes, to earn your time at Tokyo Disney, you must first get past Fuji Q. More on that later.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:12 pm

^LOL! Love the last caption! I remember getting to the Hilton that night and hoping that Mt. Fuji would erupt overnight so we could just go to Disney instead!

PreviousNext

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive