TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Wonder Park Movie - Review

I just saw this movie today - I was wondering about your impressions of it.

I was excited about it because I always love movies that feature amusement parks - especially "National Lampoon's Vacation", and I can't remember the last time a movie revolving around the idea of being in an amusement park was actually made (except for Adventureland) - But...this movie didn't really do it for me...at all.

It lost its potential in so many ways. I don't have a problem with the storyline at all. But many of the things seemed really rushed, such as the girl's run-in with the characters - and I couldn't even get a good perception of the park itself at all. In many ways this movie seemed like a sequel to me, as the events unfolding within the park were already in progress once she entered the park.

I would have rather seen this movie take place from a "from the beginning" context - or in the very LEAST, I would have liked to have seen her take a brief tour of the park before the rising action began (it was too rushed for me, and didn't give me enough chance to appreciate the park itself).

Though we saw her inside some of the attractions she had created, they were also hard for me to get a grasp of, as they weren't in context with the exterior of the attractions at all, and the rest of the park. I wish they would have shown her walking around to look at some of the exteriors of the attractions, and then walking inside. Instead, they just show her inside the attractions "already in progress", and even hopping from attraction to attraction without any context as well.

I realize that this is a kid's movie and that it is not meant to be realistic (at all). I also realize that we're in a "hop-around from scene to scene quickly" culture. But from a coaster/theme park enthusiast's perspective, I would have rather seen the events of the story unfold entirely from the girl's ground-floor perspective - walking from point-A of the park to point-B of the park to find what she was looking for, and then entering the attractions as necessary. Instead, the director chose to have her "fly" from one attraction to another, which made things highly confusing (and disappointing) for me.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I really wanted a tour of the park - even if for a short while. I wanted to see some of what she had actually created, but unfortunately we didn't really get to see much of that at all.

I hope one day that someone can create a movie based on a real rollercoaster tycoon-style game, and made by a real coaster enthusiast. That would put everything to justice. I will not buy this on DVD or re-watch.

My favorite parts (the parts I could actually pay attention to):

(1) the bear on the top of the mega-coaster

(2) the girl discovering the abandoned park for the first time (as I love abandoned parks)

(3) the home-made park she created in her yard at the beginning.

That's about it. Let me know your feelings. Did you enjoy it or feel the same way?

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic