Weight Management Support/Enouragement thread

it's the off season! and those new trains are small!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Games, links, news, movies, WHATEVER!!! As long as it's not TOO dirty!
New to the TPR Forums? Come say hello and introduce yourself HERE!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Weight Management Support/Enouragement thread

Postby bert425 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:13 pm

Just thought it might be a fun idea to start a thread for encouragement and support for those who want to manage their weight to get ready for the 2018 season . . it's a new year, and many parks aren't open yet, so perfect time to start working on ourselves.

(I saw a Weight Loss thread from 2010, but that seemed to be about fad diets, and wasn't the kind of thing I was thinking of. . . more the kind of "accountability" thread, where we can share ideas, and encourage one another.. .if anyone is interested in participating of course).

I had slowly crept up pretty heavy a few years back as I was getting older. I still "fit" in every coaster, tho sometimes "stapling" was needed, and I preferred the "big boy" seats.

looking back at the pics from BGW in 2015, I realize I was almost 250lbs, and was on two Blood Pressure Meds, and a Cholesterol Med.
DSC00010.JPG
At BGW

I hated having to be on the medications, and my Doctor had been after me for a while to drop some weight. Nothing really got me motivated, until one of my friends told me at Dragon*con one year:

"you're still thin from behind. . it's not until you turn around that you see the big belly"

my 1st response was: "screw you"

my 2nd response was to look at the BGW pictures (from a month earlier) and decide she was right, and started a diet/exercise program that I could stick to.

With my medical limitations, certain exercises are not available to me, but I CAN walk, so took that on as my exercise of choice, and over the next year, I dropped ~75 lbs, and by the time we got married in 2016, I was down to ~175lbs, and my Doctor has taken me off all of my medications.

12540530_958863947536457_2295550048710868732_n.jpg

I maintained that weight for all of 2016. . but then my Mom passed in early 2017 (and the month leading up to her death, with so many trips back and forth to Houston really threw me off my program). It took me months to recover to try and get back on track, but was getting it, and maintaining a slight gain of 10-12 lbs. . . and then I had to put my Dog down on Nov. 1, 2017 and spiraled out of control.

I knew I had gained, and suddenly, clothes I had worn at Cedar Point in June 2017 no longer fit. which added to the depression over losing the dog, which made me want to eat.

but when New Year's rolled around, I said to myself:

"I'm going on Roller Coasters in 2018, and I don't even want to stop to look at the Test Seat, I need to get back on track"

so made it my N.Y. Resolution, and got on the scale on Jan 1, to weigh in and came in at 202 lbs. A gain of 27lbs from my lowest :(

but that was the kick in the butt I needed, and except for a couple of slip days, I've managed to stick to it, and am losing 2~3 lbs a week.

as of yesterday was 192.4lbs (so down ~10 lbs).

my ultimate goal is to be 180, or so, by the time most places open for the season.

so figured others might be in a similar situation where working on weight management, and might want a place to talk about what you're doing, what your goal is, post progress. . or just talk about it.

hence. . .starting this thread.

hope others want to participate, but I'm going to try to stay accountable, and update here every Sat. after I "weigh in".

best,
bert
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Does Jeff Johnson count this donkey as a credit?

Re: Weight Management Support/Enouragement thread

Postby tinaalsgirl » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:16 pm

Late last year, I finally got in to be tested for PCOS (PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome), and sure enough, I've got it. So my OBGYN put me on Spironolactone and Metformin. The Spiro is to help slow down my excessive facial hair growth and acne, and the Metformin to prevent me from developing diabetes, which is very common for PCOS sufferers. He had to take me off the Metformin because my IBS made the side effects even worse than for others (my mom's on Metformin and not having any side effects). So, instead of taking the Metformin, he told me to do a food diary and bring it with me the next time I saw him. That was the start of my journey to a healthier eating style.

I've completely cut sodas out of my life (except for the occasional no-sugar soda, but it's very occasional because very few diet sodas taste good to me). Instead of hydrating myself with four 16.9oz bottles of Lipton Citrus Green Tea each day, I'm now drinking Nestle Pure Life water (I can't handle my town's tap; I can't wait to move back to Independence, MO, where the tap tastes SO good) and supplementing with Powerade Zero.

Instead of eating Hot Pockets and Totino's pizza rolls, I'm eating a simple sandwich for lunch and then either a bowl of lower-sugar cereal for dinner, or whatever my mom's made, depending on if it's something I like. We're gonna start adding cauliflower and broccoli to my menu; I tried a frozen mashed cauliflower dinner the other day and it was REALLY good.

So, basically, the aim is to consume so few carbs a day that my body starts producing ketones and burning fat instead of carbs. Also, the Spiro also works as a diuretic and helps lower blood pressure.

So, with all these changes, I've gone from 275-ish to 250. I'm now officially below the weight I was when I started at college in 2009. I've even had to buy a new package of underwear because I needed a size smaller! And my blood pressure is excellent, and yeah.

Now I've just gotta get back in touch with my rheumatologist to figure out a solution to my fibromyalgia pain. She put me on Lyrica, but it spiked my blood pressure and pulse and caused super painful edema in my legs, so my PCP took me off it.

I'll check in my weight whenever I get weighed at either my PCP or my obgyn; that's basically the only time I weigh. My mom's scales here at home just don't work as well as the doctor's scales.

Postby bert425 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:06 pm

Hope things continue to improve for you!

25 lbs just mainly from changing eating habits is great, so congrats on sticking with the healthier options.

I too cut out all sodas a couple of years ago (except for the occasional "coke" portion of a Crown and Coke :p).

I know some folks like to weigh every day , or every other day, but since I know weight fluctuates that would make me crazy. So instead I only weigh once a week.

I do stick only with my home scale, since as you noted, different scales weigh differently. So by tracking on my home scale, I can get a lbs total (up or down) and know even if the overall weight is going to be different at check-ups, I still have an idea of total weight gain/loss.

sorry you're struggling/surviving with medical issues, and I hope they can get your pain under control!

best,
bert
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby Jason Maier » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:21 am

Mr. Bert . . . . at my worst I was 291 pounds wearing XXL shirts and pants.

I got treatment at Physician's Weight Loss in Columbia, MD. Fat burning injections, eating healthier, counseling, etc. has brought me down to around 190 (I want to stay around 185-190). I weight in on Mondays . . .

I don't really go out to eat much anymore . . . but I still like my theme park foods. I also drink more water (I try to aim for at least a gallon a day) and rarely soda or fruit juices. I also do a cycling class every day I can at my gym . . . and I eat a lot of veggies.

Postby bert425 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:12 am

Jason Maier wrote:Mr. Bert . . . . at my worst I was 291 pounds wearing XXL shirts and pants.

I got treatment at Physician's Weight Loss in Columbia, MD. Fat burning injections, eating healthier, counseling, etc. has brought me down to around 190 (I want to stay around 185-190). I weight in on Mondays . . .

I don't really go out to eat much anymore . . . but I still like my theme park foods. I also drink more water (I try to aim for at least a gallon a day) and rarely soda or fruit juices. I also do a cycling class every day I can at my gym . . . and I eat a lot of veggies.

Congrats on the weight loss, and maintaining.

personally, I woudln't do the fat burning injection option, but glad to see that helped for you, and that you changed your eating habits to try to do healthier :)

I eat a lot of fruit/veggies too. . trying to get my metabolism kick started again.

once Jan ends, I'll go back to walking every other day, instead of every day. . . . I only need to drop ~15 lbs to be back to the weight I want to maintain.

Founder of the Cult of Skank Mountain

Postby boldikus » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:57 am

I like this thread! I need this right now.

My weight bounces all around because I am really good at losing it if I put my mind to it, however I love beer and ice cream. I know its just a matter of self control. I don't believe in diets but do use the MyFitnessPal app to track calories and basically just create a calorie deficit and stay more active - whether its biking on the weekends/evenings, running/jogging in the morning, or after work hopping off the subway early and power-walking the last 2 miles. The main issue is the weather here sucks and is not exactly motivating me to get out of the house.

Right now I'm definitely not at my heaviest but I could certainly lose a bit before the season starts so that's my goal right now - to lose about 20-25 lbs so I don't have to be stapled. I don't have many issues except for B&M OTSRs. I'm just starting a personal 50 day challenge to cut portion sizes down, eat a ton of veggies, chug tons of water and green tea, keep the walking and biking up and see how much I can lose before opening weekend in March. I know if I stick to it, it will melt off, as usual. Hoping this thread keeps me motivated!

Postby bert425 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:39 pm

boldikus wrote:I like this thread! I need this right now.

My weight bounces all around because I am really good at losing it if I put my mind to it, however I love beer and ice cream. I know its just a matter of self control. I don't believe in diets but do use the MyFitnessPal app to track calories and basically just create a calorie deficit and stay more active - whether its biking on the weekends/evenings, running/jogging in the morning, or after work hopping off the subway early and power-walking the last 2 miles. The main issue is the weather here sucks and is not exactly motivating me to get out of the house.

Right now I'm definitely not at my heaviest but I could certainly lose a bit before the season starts so that's my goal right now - to lose about 20-25 lbs so I don't have to be stapled. I don't have many issues except for B&M OTSRs. I'm just starting a personal 50 day challenge to cut portion sizes down, eat a ton of veggies, chug tons of water and green tea, keep the walking and biking up and see how much I can lose before opening weekend in March. I know if I stick to it, it will melt off, as usual. Hoping this thread keeps me motivated!

glad to have you!

it's good to have an "end date" to help drive too.. . so that's why I decided before parks open (tho it's early March here in Texas for SFFT and SFoT).

my challenge is not only to get back to my goal .. or at least near it at 180lbs. . but to maintain that.

for the moment, I'm still walking every day for at least an hour, but in Feb (so in 2 days), I'll ease off a bit, and go back to every other day.

controlling the eating has been the bigger challenge thus far, but i'm forcing myself to make time to get the exercise in! And even when nasty, I've been getting out and doing my walk, even if it means bundling up in multiple layers or walking with an umbrella.

luckily, I'm just a light social drinker, so I don't have the 'beer' issue :)

Postby bert425 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:00 am

my weight this morning, was exactly the same as last week: 192.4 lbs.

trying not to get discouraged, because i maintained. . but after two weeks of losing ~3.5 lbs each time, I'm at a loss for why I didn't drop anything.

I mean, yeah, I had a really really rich Anniversary meal a week ago (Last Sat), and I did have Sushi and Indian food (chicken kabob and veggies) during the week, so maybe the Rice/sodium are causing me to retain water?

but it's frustrating as I exercised an hour *every day* over the past week :(

so yeah, trying not to be discouraged, but I wish I had gone down even 1lb in the past week.

we're going to the movies and out to dinner later, but at least I did an hour walk already this morning.

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:20 pm

So... I was a bit weary of posting in here. Mainly because my weight frustrations are a bit different than most peoples.

My entire life I have been really... REALLY skinny. I was always made fun of in school for being tall and skinny... How skinny you may ask? Well, the majority of my adult life I have been 6'4" and 120 pounds. Very... VERY underweight for my height. I use to look in the mirror and was rather disgusted at what I saw... I was so thin you could see my ribs when I lifted my shirt. Like, you could seriously rub mud on my face and I could have done one of those "feed the children" commercials. I tried EVERYTHING I could think of to try and gain weight. No matter what I ate, or how lazy I tried to be I couldn't gain an ounce. After countless doctor visits it was determined that I just had an abnormally fast metabolism, and that it would "probably" slow down as I got older.

Well 4 years ago I met my now soon to be husband... and I was skin and bones... I STILL hated the way I looked. Fast forward 4 years... I have NO idea what happened but *BAM* I'm almost 160!!! YAY!!! Finally closer to a weight that I needed/wanted to be at!! The only problem is it seems like the entire 40 pounds I had gained was in my stomach. For the first time in my life I had a beer belly!! Expect... I don't drink beer! So then given how skinny the rest of my body was, yet I had this stomach that made me ALWAYS look like I was about 8 months pregnant... I REALLY looked like I belonged on a feed the children commercial.

So last April we joined a local gym and planned to go a few times a week... Which was great... It worked for all of a month. Then we fizzled out... and didn't really care to keep going. . . Day after day after day after day after day after day after day after day I would look down and be annoyed that while sure I had gained weight... It was all in my stomach... and it was VERY non-attractive. So in November of 2017 my partner and I agreed to make a "New Years Resolution." We planned to go to the gym EVERY SINGLE DAY in 2018!! I know, I know... Most people fail their New Years Resolutions. . . So sadly going into it I didn't have very high hopes.

Well, here we are 1 month and 8 days later... and we have managed to STICK WITH our New Years Resolution. We have been to the gym every single day since January 1st!! We met with a trainer and went over our goals, and they laid out a workout plan for us. Was it hard starting out?? Of freaking course! I didn't want to go every day, yet my partner still drug me in anyway. . . Sure it has only been 38(ish) days, but I'm starting to notice a change in my body!! Not so much in weight when I step on the scale, but more so in how my clothes fit, and how my body looks. My stomach is going away, and my pecs are growing. My upper abs are now noticeable (and not in an un-healthy kind of way) My arms are getting larger, and my legs are getting larger!

I thought "Oh this isn't so bad. We are getting the hang of this!" And that's when our trainer brought up "diet." I'm sitting here thinking boy you must be crazy as hell. I'm already thin enough... I'm just now gaining muscle, and you want me to go on a diet??!! Which is when I learned that a "diet" doesn't mean you are trying to lose weight. It just means you area watching what you are eating.

HOLY CRAP!! The diet has been the hardest part. We were use to sitting around the house and munching on a bag of chips, or snacking here and there... But nope, not any more. We aren't even allowed to have chips or snack food in the house now. That being said, we have started cooking a lot more meals at home which is nice! It gives us time with each other that we didn't usually have!

As time has gone by the diet has become a bit easier, and the gym has just become part of life. We are both committed to sticking to both the gym and diet. Again, I was a bit hesitant to post this because I didn't want it to come across wrong... But I'm sure once you've read this you'll understand where I'm coming from!! I look forward to following this thread, and encouraging others with their goals too!! :)
Bigger is not always better.

Postby bert425 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:14 pm

welcome to the string.

I purposely called it "weight Management" rather than "weight loss" or "diet" thread, as I didn't want it to just have input from those that wanted to lose weight.

Maintaining a healthy weight is hard to do (whether one needs to lose OR gain weight to be at a healthy weight), and everyone can always use encouragement :)

I'm still doing my hour + walk every day (today I did 30 minutes on treadmill at work, then 50 minute walk when I got home). . but soon - likely in the next week, I'll cut back to every other day.

so don't be disappointed in yourself if you don't go to the gym EVERY day. . the US recommendation I have heard is 2 1/2 hours of hard exercise (raising one's heartrate for extended periods) per week. So that's a 1/2 hour 5 times a week.

So I'm happy I'm getting more than that, and still will be if I cut back to every other day.

Next

Return to Random, Random, Random