TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Social Media: Is it even safe for teens?

YOLO

Is Social Media OK for teens?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Is Social Media OK for teens?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends On The Site/App

I know, the whole "social media is bad for kids" helicopter parent cliche. But I then realized that that really is the truth. How? I heard on my local news that a kid had sent a threat to my local high school via the social media app "Yik Yak". A follow up story was ANOTHER recent threat at the South Mississippi college in Hattisburg. Then they had interviewed a parent who downloaded the app and explained why it was so bad and that there was intense cyber bullying and people asking if they wanted to gang bang.

I had known about Yik Yak through Vine, they make funny Vines with popular Viners. Yik Yak is an app where you are anonymous and chat with people within a 10 mile radius. I decided to download the app and immediately I found intense bullying and threats. A few scrolls down people where asking if they wanted to gang bang, even asking if "4 inches was long" which I'm sure we all know what that means.

The question is, is social media even bad for teens? I think it depends on the app, but the parents should still see what their children are doing on social media.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got Yik Yak last night after seeing your post. Didn't see many sexual/bullying posts but the whole app is just dumb. Deleted it within 10 minutes.

IMO social media apps are good ways for teens to connect with one another. Nothing bad about them, as long as you keep your privacy settings on.

I think that it depends on the app you are using and how you use it. In my class at school most of the people there are on mostly Snapchat and Instagram (I'm on both), and no type of bullying has occured to them as far as I know. I'm only friends with people that I know of on Snapchat, and Instagram is the same. I used to be on Facebook, but I hated Facebook so much because of all the ads and the pedophiles there, so I got rid of that. All in all, I think most teens are safe, if they use it properly.