TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Amazing Race

nannerdw

Does anybody else here watch The Amazing Race? The new season of the US version of the show just started last week. I go on the CBS website to watch them.

Episode 1

For the most part I stopped caring about reality TV after Survivor season 2, but it's still cool to see the places that these people get to go (over the course of about a month, I think), even if the challenges are sometimes kind of lame / low-budget.

There were some complaints last season that the finale was somehow rigged to allow the team with the best back-story to win, but I'm kind of skeptical of that, lol. I know at least the camera crew definitely isn't allowed to interact with the teams in any way that might give them an advantage. It's pretty obvious that the show is edited in such a way that they make someone out to be the "villain" or the "hero," but I guess that's true of all reality TV these days.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm watching it real quick because I love to see the views around the world and learn some cultural things. Last season was not bad, I was hoping the Cowboys to win and I really think Brandon and Rachel were just doing what they have to do to win.

Things they did in Guangzhou are pretty cool IMO, I'm living in the city this year. If they took subway, they could save a huge amount of time and wouldn't have any problem with English. Shuttlecock is one of the hardest thing I've ever tried in my entire life! I would rather take a chemistry test than do that

The two Intamin drop towers are clearly visible on the first episode where they did the bubble car on top of Canton Tower. Does anyone know who the manufacturer of the bubble car is?

Sohu is starting the Chinese Amazing Race two weeks later, I'm pretty curious how the Chinese contestants would do if they cannot communicate with the locals.

I just have to say, Marie was one of my favorite contestants from any season. She was clearly cast as the "villain" of season 23, and she did not disappoint. The dynamic between her and the other contestants was really entertaining to watch. I thought it was hilarious when she got the express pass and started trying to dangle it over everyone's heads if they'd help her. Then Nicole (like a total bawss) finally stood up to her and demanded the express pass, and Marie was just desperate enough at that moment to actually give it to her (in exchange for some really simple directions to the next location, which she probably could have figured out on her own. lol). I definitely want to see Marie return for an all-stars season (with Tim, I guess, but no one really cares about him. Marie basically just dragged him along, anyway.)

Also, I think we were "supposed" to like Leo and Jamal, but I didn't. I thought they were obnoxious in season 23. They were ok in the All Stars Season 24, though, because they stopped focusing so much on being "characters" for the camera.

I'm watching it this season but not a fan like I used to be. Maybe it is because I have traveled a lot the last 10 years and have been to a lot of those places. Just not as exciting as it once was.

• 1 month later...

I thought the episode in Singapore from a couple of weeks ago was really good.

*spoilers ahead*

I was really hoping to see the cyclists make it all the way to the end. They were definitely one of the strongest teams. That FlowRider challenge seemed so obviously rigged for the two surfers, though. I think the dentists or surfers have the best shot of winning at this point, and based on the way the show has been edited, the wrestlers have no chance of winning. Pretty much every shot of Brooke shows her complaining about something. The scientists have been one of my favorite teams since the beginning, so I'm hoping that they'll manage to pull ahead right at the end.

• 2 weeks later...

I was so excited to see them come in first. I knew they'd have a good chance at a memory challenge right at the end.

The next season sounds kind of lame, IMO, but I'll probably still watch it. All the teams are dating couples, and some of them are on blind dates, meeting for the first time at the start of the competition. First of all, this is supposed to be a show about traveling around the world, not The Bachelor. Second of all, it seems like the previously dating couples might have a bit of an unfair advantage, but meh, whatever keeps their ratings up, I guess.

What I slightly disliked about this finale, and have felt the same way about previous seasons, was the final challenge.

I think the final challenge should involve a co-operative effort between both team members.

I also feel the final challenge is too different compared to the rest of the race. It often ends with this type of complicated mental activity that is so much more challenging than what has come before. Not to say that the final challenge should be a cake walk, but it feels a bit off that the teams that dominated throughout the race under performed in the end.

The blind date thing could be a little interesting. You get to see how two people who don't know each other react in a pressure situation. They might be on their best behavior or could be explosive. I wonder how the blind dates were picked?

• 2 months later...

So the blind date couples are doing well so far.

I feel kind of bad for Blair, though. He doesn't seem very pleased about getting stuck with #TokenDitzyBlonde. They kind of remind me of Mark & Mallory from the last All-Stars season. lol

I kind of expected to see more teams switch to the Sake challenge, especially after 20+ tries at the dance routine. I guess the two challenges were pretty far apart.

Also, I actually kind of like the selfie cams, though it is a little weird to see the teams take selfies at the same time that they're already being filmed by the camera crew. I guess the producers are trying to make the show more "hip" with the "HashtagYoloTwitterTweens." Man, I feel old.

I'm liking it so far. . but surely someone would have told them that Twinks tend not to go for Twinks. . the gay blind date couple will NEVER speak again after the show is over

but it does seem some couples are hitting it off.

Very disappointed on who went home first, but at least the couple who SHOULD have gone home first, went home 2nd.

and they really deserved to -- missing your train when you're already in last place -- because you stopped to take a selfie with the train? To stupid to compete on this show.

buh-bye.

but enjoying it thus far.

I'm calling it right now, Team Truckstop Love has a 0% chance of winning. Their sense of urgency seems to be about on par with Team Tuskegee.

The only team that seems to be really into the "blind date" aspect of the show is Jackie and Jeffrey.

For the sake of these contestants, I hope the producers don't get too heavy-handed with the "awkward forced romantic encounter" type of challenges later on in the show. The noodle challenge was lame enough already.

The ice rink detour was pretty cool, though maybe just a little rigged in favor the Olympians.

The ice rink detour was pretty cool, though maybe just a little rigged in favor the Olympians.

I thought the same thing. I was wondering if they came up with the challenge and then selected them because it would make a good story that she got her start there.

I'm liking it so far. . but surely someone would have told them that Twinks tend not to go for Twinks. . the gay blind date couple will NEVER speak again after the show is over

did I call that or what?

and they won the "date night" thing. Awkward, lol. They're probably glad they gave it to the newly-engaged couple instead.

Also, Truckstop Love really picked up the pace this week, yay.

This episode really needed a disclaimer at the beginning:

"In a moment, you are about to see a man dual-wielding selfie sticks. He is a trained professional. Do not try what you are about to see at home, or anywhere else for that matter."