TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Can shorter swingsets pull more G forces than taller swings?

TogoFan

Can someone on here who know physics well give me a answer for this swingset G force/velocity related question?

I am wondering if a smaller swingset pulls more G forces that a larger and taller one? I have read that they can put 1.5 to 2 gs on your body when you are at the lowest part of your arc. I have been on this short 8 foot swingset that oddly seems to pull more gs that any other 8 foot swingset that I have been on.

Will I pull more G forces on my 13 foot swingset when I do full height swinging on my 13 foot tall set than full height swinging on a 8 foot swingset? Does the height of the bar and the size of the arc make a difference in the maximum g forces pulled? I should ideally be achieving a greater max velocity when at the bottom, on my 13 foot tall one that a 8 foot tall one.

What could be my max speed in MPH at the bottom of my arc when full height swinging?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I am late with this, but here goes.

You are really talking about the physics of a pendulum, so look that up (the internet is the font of all knowledge).

The G-force experienced is caused by the rate of change of direction, otherwise known as acceleration. As you swing, you are being accelerated towards the bar at the top as your body moves through the arc. Faster swing means faster rate of change and more g-force. The higher the start of the downward swing, the more you will accelerate (as it takes more time to reach the bottom of the swing), and the faster you go. So higher swing means (in crude terms) more G-force.

The length of chain also effects g-force. A shorter chain means smaller arc, and a faster rate of change for the same speed compared to a longer chain, and so higher g-force. But you will not accelerate (due to gravity) as much with a shorter chain.

Like all things physics, its a balance. In this case, between height of the 'drop' and the tightness of the arc the swing makes.