Snowboarding/Skiing

Beginners, Intermediates, Advanced, all are welcome!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Games, links, news, movies, WHATEVER!!! As long as it's not TOO dirty!
New to the TPR Forums? Come say hello and introduce yourself HERE!
Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Re: Snowboarding/Skiing

Postby larrygator » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:38 am

I never skiied as I rarely had a free weekend in the winter and valued my knees, many of my friends messed up their knees on the slopes. I finally got dragged to a ski trip a few years ago and tried snowboarding instead of skiing. For two days I fell on my ass, hips and head repeatedly and had trouble picking it up but enjoyed it while I was on my feet. Finally, on the plane ride home, everything the instructor was saying stuck in my head and the next time I went was very enjoyable.

I have only gone once since and never did any difficult trails but I was proud to try something new at age 40 and enjoy it.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:01 am

^That's good to hear, I may try snowboarding our next time out on the slopes as my knee has been giving me real problems while skiing and I don't want to screw it up.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:10 pm

Knowing that you have very good balance, I think you would pick it up quickly with a good instructor.
Last edited by larrygator on Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:10 pm.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hilltopper39 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:39 pm

I used to ski but have been hooked on snow boarding ever since I first tried it. I will say that after a few trips of falling on my arse all day getting an instructor really helped me pick it up since some of the motions are kind of unnatural, but once I figured it out I found it so much more entertaining then skiing. I don't have bad knees (surprisingly) but I always felt like if you did have bad knees boarding would be easier on them than skiing because both feet are always locked into position on the board so there's not as much of an opportunity to have one knee get twisted out of alignment even when you fall. I have had some pretty nasty crashes on a board that were probably worse than any I ever had on skis but those were probably my own fault.

I really need to go boarding again, stupid Florida and all it's sunshine.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby STR8FXXXINEDGE » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:04 pm

Snowboarding is actually easy to do, it's just very unnatural and scary feeling when learning. The way to keep yourself up doesn't feel normal and makes it feel like you're going to tip over, so most people just fall over naturally. The main thing to keep in mind when learning, is to never keep your board flat on the snow! That's what causes you to catch an edge and makes the sudden slams to the snow happen. You should always be on an edge. Really, all you need to do is keep rocking from heel edge to toe edge, heel edge to toe edge, heel edge to toe edge..... it's that simple.

If you ask me, speed is the name of the game, and not being afraid. I try to explain it to people as being the same as riding a bike. The faster you go, the easier it is to balance. The same applies for snowboarding. I've taught quite a few people to snowboard and I always steer them away from the bunny hills. Those slow things are the secret nemesis of beginners.
Last edited by STR8FXXXINEDGE on Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:23 am.

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby coastercrazy 9 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:06 am

STR8FXXXINEDGE wrote:Snowboarding is actually easy to do, it's just very unnatural and scary feeling when learning. The way to keep yourself up doesn't feel normal and makes it feel like you're going to tip over, so most people just fall over naturally. The main thing to keep in mind when learning, is to never keep your board flat on the snow! That's what causes you to catch and edge and makes the sudden slams to the snow happen. You should always be on an edge. Really, all you need to do is keep rocking from heel edge to toe edge, heel edge to toe edge, heel edge to toe edge..... it's that simple.

If you ask me, speed is the name of the game, and not being afraid. I try to explain it to people as being the same as riding a bike. The faster you go, the easier it is to balance. The same applies for snowboarding. I've taught quite a few people to snowboard and I always steer them away from the bunny hills. Those slow things are the secret nemesis of beginners.

This is the biggest part of learning to snowboard. I couldn't agree with anything said here any more. As my friends like to say, Skiing: Easy to learn, hard to master. Snowboarding: Hard to learn. easy to master.
I won't stop riding roller coasters when I get old. I'll get old when I stop riding roller coasters!

Image\

Do You Like Music? Do You Like Roller Coasters? Click Here for Six Flags Great AdventureClick Here For Hershey Park!Click Here For SFGAdv Fright Fest 2012!*New
For some Winter fun, click here, for My New Snowboarding Music Videos!

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Moose » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:28 am

I have only seen a handful of snowboarders that were masters, so I'm not sure if its exactly "easy" to master.

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby Athletekim » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:45 am

My friends and I did a learn to snowboard lesson last January at Blue Mountain, PA because of the discounted deal for learn to ski/board month. Blue Mt. doesn't do big group lessons instead they do 3 stations that you move to as you improve on a certain skill. I believe they do stations so you can go at your own pace and get more individual help, but my friends and I felt like we barely learned anything. At point at the 3rd station, where you learn how to connect your turns, we counted 23 of us each waiting to get help from the 2 instructors working that station. Needless to say that the 3 hours we spent on the bunny hills we were not able to do our toe turns and just fell on our faces instead. You were allowed to go back down to the bottom of the hill to revisit a station if you needed to practice on something again.

I started skiing 2 years ago as a freshman in high school and I've gone skiing only 3 times at Shawnee Mt.. My friend and I did a group ski lesson and then went right onto the mountain because we got the hang of it. Then I went back later that month and taught myself how to parallel ski. I went once last year and was surprised that I was able to remember what to do.

My goal for this year is to give boarding another chance.
Riding Roller Coasters since 2010! Coaster Count=52 Park Count=15
My #1 Steel: Storm Runner My #1 Wooden: Phoenix

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby coastercrazy 9 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:46 pm

The biggest part of snowboarding is not giving up in the beginning. It is a very unnatural feeling for the first couple times you go. It's like riding a bike, once you learn it, you will never forget how to do it.
I won't stop riding roller coasters when I get old. I'll get old when I stop riding roller coasters!

Image\

Do You Like Music? Do You Like Roller Coasters? Click Here for Six Flags Great AdventureClick Here For Hershey Park!Click Here For SFGAdv Fright Fest 2012!*New
For some Winter fun, click here, for My New Snowboarding Music Videos!

It all started with a donkey

Postby the ghost » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:38 pm

Boarder here! Skied quite a bit when I was younger but I wasn't getting better after a year or so and I could barely do intermediate runs because I was not comfortable on skis. Snowboarding come naturally either but I got better as I went along. I don't board too hard but In can do most runs besides a few tough double black diamonds which freak me out a bit. I also don't really do tricks because I am a fairly cautious person, but I have sped up and loosened up as I practice more. I also have a vacation home in Big Bear California so I go there fairly often... at least 2 or 3 times a year.
:derek: TPR's resident ent!

PreviousNext

Return to Random, Random, Random