TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Negative Gs on public transport/cars

While coming back from my college on the bus, there is a bridge. For some reason the bus has to go fast up towards that bridge and so when the bridge is reached, there is sometimes some negative Gs (not much). Only once so far has some proper -Gs happened to me in that bus. Very fun when standing up. Have any of you lot experienced -Gs on public transport before?

Edited by Moose

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember years ago on the school bus, there used to be this huge pothole in the road and because we were stupid kids, we would bounce up and down in the seat when it was coming. There were a couple of occasions when someone hit the roof.

I remember years ago on the school bus, there used to be this huge pothole in the road and because we were stupid kids, we would bounce up and down in the seat when it was coming. There were a couple of occasions when someone hit the roof.

I did that back in middle school with the speed bumps. It was so much fun trying to jump at the right moment to hit airtime.

Sometimes on the freeway, there's spots where it feels like the car drops from under you for a split second. Also, one time we were heading up to visit my cousin and the road we were taking was windy and hilly (short camel-back hills). Just about each of those hills gave me very light stomach butterflies which was sweet.

Also there's this hill by my house that kind of 'double dips' but unfortunately it's at a curve. Sometimes I get butterflies if that double dip is hit at the right speed (still being within the speed limit).

Lastly, though no airtime, it feels kind of cool taking off on a BART train, when it slowly pulls out of the station and then suddenly feels like it's being pulled along by something either forcing me into my seat or pulling me away (depending on what way I'm facing).

Back in High School, coming back from track meets from Santa Barbara, there was one bump on the 101 Freeway that always provided a lot of airtime.

Edited by XII

• 2 weeks later...

I can't believe I forgot some high -G moments near my house. One going over a railway line and the other on a by-pass. The by-pass is the best, especially since you can go at fast speeds down there and the dip down is kind of sharp. One last thing, is that I decided to allow -Gs in cars to be posted as well.

Last Sunday, I was driving my family back from Yosemite via 120. There is a section with some small hills. As we approached a hill which looked like it had some potential, I sped up a bit. Sure enough, I got some butterflies in my stomach. The best part was my 17 month old daughter in the back. As we went over, she went "Ooohhh" and giggled. I was so proud...I'm training her well!

• 4 weeks later...

THIS is airtime -

My own personal experience was on the way to Orlando for IAAPA last year; we got into turbulence and my Macbook lifted off of the tray table for a brief moment while I was also up against my seatbelt.

• 1 year later...

Reading over the last few comments, I remembered my scout group's minibus (it was horrible). The battery kept on running out, so we had to push it which was fun and it was very noisy. But it was the horrid suspension, especially in the back which is the reason for this post. There was so much negative Gs in the back because of very stiff suspension, that one of the seats started coming loose from its location on the minibus itself. Very fun, but painful as well.

In High School I had a bus driver everyone nicknamed "Otto" because he looked like a spitting image of Otto from The Simpsons, and if you asked, he'd take a side street home from school, and go flying over a hill that would make you pop out of your seat.

Sometimes heavy rain will form a soft spot to form on the train tracks, and I've literally bounced completely out of the seat. 210 ton locomotives give some amazing ejector air if you get them bouncing doing 50-70mph! I just went over a big one about 2 months ago. Flew out of my seat, and all my paperwork got tossed around. Those are really rare though, since as soon as you find spots like that the track inspectors temporarily lower the speed limit in that spot, and they fix them right away.

I know this might be too technical but unless someone is driving a car that has significant downforce it is almost impossible to experience actual negative Gs. 0g is what happens most of the times, I suppose. Still, it is very fun. There is a stretch of road between where I live and a nearby city where I always ask my dad or mom to speed up in order to get some floater air. However, if you have a sports car with a lot of downforce it is possible to get airtime, in fact, some supercar manufacturers say some of their models can drive upside down (in a tunnel, for instance) so, in theory, it is possible to get hangtime too.