TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Weird Food Thread

jammy2by4

Everyone on TPR loves food, right? And with all the trips you've been on, or maybe you just felt adventurous, you must have tried something that was weird. Here you can discuss about your food adventures.

The weirdest foods I've ever tried were chocolate mayonnaise cake and chocolate courgette (zucchini) cake. They are awesome .

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Boba? It's not particularly weird, but I had Tuna Tar Tar for the first time a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I consider it sort of weird just because it's very cold and, of course, it is raw, but it was delicious and was served with awesome wanton nachos.

Another thing that I don't consider odd, but my friends do is baked beans on toast. It's common in England(my grandparents are English) but not so common in America... tastes great though.

^ Baked beans on toast is weird in America? Well, Americans are weird then. Baked Beans on toast is awesome.

Weirdest thing I've ever eaten is Jellyfish Sushi. The jellyfish didnt taste very nice, it was very rubbery and crunchy at the same time, and makes you gag when it goes down your throat. I've also tried smoked crocodile here in Australia on a trip up north, it was surprisingly tasty!

Where I live there is an ice cream shop that makes these weird ice cream flavours. I have so far tried Coke Cola, Irn Bru, Sprite, Mars Bar and Nutella flavoured ice cream. I will not eat the Irn Bru one again, though, because it tasted foul. Irn Bru only taste nice when it's fizzy and not flat.

We have a local candy store here that serves a bunch of weird soda flavors. So far, I've tried Smores Soda, Bacon Soda, and PB&J soda. The Smores Soda was really good, the other two were pretty bad.

On my last trip to Denver I went to Buckhorns and tried some interesting food.

Had a Yak, Elk, and Buffalo steak and tried one fried Rocky Mountain Oyster(Bull testicles)

Being Chinese American, some of the usual stuff may seem weird to everyone else.

1000 year old egg

Chicken Feet

White Wood Fungus

Bamboo Shoots

Sea Cucumber

Fermented Rice Deserts

Stinky Tofu (tried it, don't like it)

Pigs feet with soybeans

Pickled Tofu (fermented pickled tofu)

salted fish

jellyfish salad (taste like cucumbers)

Pig ear cold cuts

Interesting Canadian stuff I have eaten:

Ketchup Potato Chips

Poutine

Pancakes with Bacon & Maple Syrup

How can you mix sweet (pancakes & maple syrup) and savoury (bacon)? it just doesn't make sense.

baked beans on toast, now that's a winner!

The bacon is the problem - replace it with sausage links or patties and you got a meal made in heaven for some Americans.

For me - Smoked eel is one of the more weirder things I've tried and liked when I was in Germany a couple years ago. Good stuff, it was just funny the eel came from our Great Lakes here in Michigan and in the Midwest.

On my last trip to Denver I went to Buckhorns and tried some interesting food.

Had a Yak, Elk, and Buffalo steak and tried one fried Rocky Mountain Oyster(Bull testicles)

Being Chinese American, some of the usual stuff may seem weird to everyone else.

1000 year old egg

Chicken Feet

White Wood Fungus

Bamboo Shoots

Sea Cucumber

Fermented Rice Deserts

Stinky Tofu (tried it, don't like it)

Pigs feet with soybeans

Pickled Tofu (fermented pickled tofu)

salted fish

jellyfish salad (taste like cucumbers)

Pig ear cold cuts

Interesting Canadian stuff I have eaten:

Ketchup Potato Chips

Poutine

I've tried every single thing on that list and not one was truly bad. I actually enjoyed the "century egg" .

Personally against this thread I do not deem ANY food weird , due to my views on culture and boundaries I enjoy anything at least once .

• 1 year later...

We just came across this, at one of our larger food markets,

that carries Presidents Choice brand products. And of course,

we just had to bring some home...

Taste? Not too bad, and it is a kind of marmalade, though

not as citrus-y as the 'regular' marmalades do. And there are

bits and pieces of cooked bacon all through it.

We have yet to figure out how to try it first. The easiest would

be on a slice of toast, but I have ideas of a glaze for country

style ribsss....

Stay tuned.

IMG_3309.JPG.4a3c50405c57e0dc56c4e34e4dfac56f.JPG

It tastes okay on it's own. But definitely needs something else to....enhance. (o;

There's a great little fish camp here in Jacksonville about 10 minutes off of I-95 called Clark's Fish Camp that I would highly recommend for anyone traveling south towards Orlando that features (what they claim to be) the worlds largest private collection of stuffed and mounted animals. It's like a Rain Forest cafe but real and kind of redneck but the food is pretty good! They have a specialty menu with exotic meats and sausages like yak, elk, gator, python, ostrich, rabbit, gator ribs, frog legs etc. Good frog legs are great and not that weird I guess, and the gator ribs were surprisingly good. Next time I'm there I'm gonna give the python a shot...

Shameless plug for Clark's Fish Camp, one of the weirdest most awesome palaces I'v ever been.

Ox tail- Very weird texture. Not a huge fan.

Bison- Really good but not to weird,

Haven't tried to many weird dishes I remember, but I am going to Tokyo hopefully soon.

• 4 weeks later...

A lot of the posts so far have mentioned numerous things I've eaten, so I won't name any of those... That would just be repetitive. Now for the new ones!

- "Tongue and Intestines Rice" in North Kalimantan, Borneo (I have no idea where the tongues or intestines came from, as no one around spoke English and the food was served to me without any choice on my behalf)

- Boiled Jackfruit with green chili in Sala, Bali (It tasted like fatty pork)

- Pig skin with fat and chicken blood in Gianyar, Bali (This is a food which is served at ceremonies. I only ate it because the people around me had welcomed me into their home and I wanted to be polite. A village elder who was seated next to me called the dish "blood", and only after much questioning did I get the true ingredients: Fatty pig skin soaked in chicken blood)