TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Smoking: Park policies: Your opinion.

Legoland California banned smoking from inside the park with just one designated smoking area outside of the enterance. I think parks need to implement this system as I have relatives who go with me to Legoland who are heavy smokers and they like how Legoland is a non-smoking park as they can't smoke for a good period of time. I think other parks should implement Legoland's system to ban smoking inside the gates as the smoking areas in parks that I have seen in various Six Flags and Cedar Fair parks can be easily smelled and isn't placed very well. For instance, while waiting in line for Revolution, I smelled smoke and I saw that there was a designated smoking area next to the former enterance to Revolution (next to X2 bridge) which was very close to Revolution's queue. When I went to the DC Universe restroom, there was a smoking area right next to the restroom's enterance. I believe that smoking areas should be a little better placed, or better, banned entirely from the inside of the park.

From some observations, it's odd how a lot of the really good views of coasters are in smoking areas.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^The smoking areas can be really gross if a ride goes near one or you have to come too close to them. Demon at (SF) Great America's final curved into the brakes used to go over a smoking area. Odd, a Demon with smoke (the ride used to have smoke! Or was it steam?) is cool, but not that kinda smoke. I often joke that I like Demon so much it's often worth the headache - but going over a smoking area really amped up that headache.

Do the parks sell nicotine gum? I could see that being a small area for profit if a park went totally non-smoking.

• 3 months later...

This is a though one. Since smoke doesnt belong in a kids and family friendly zone, you would expect this to be a nobrainer.

But first of all... Most themeparks are outdoors. In an outdoor enviroment the problem isn't as big. Non smokers won't have to sit in a smoke filled room for hours. They might smell the smoke though. On the other hand, you will also smell sweets, foods, swet and so on. There will be things that bother you through out your life. Accept that.

Therefor I think, smoking zones are a perfect solution. Aslong as people are willing to use them ofcourse. Don't get to sensitive for the smell of smoke. Smelling a smoker wont get you a terrible disease! And if you have a big personal problem with smokers. You know where to find this smoking area's, so simply stay away from them. I gues the point im trying to make is: acceptence works both ways. Smokers will have to accept their habbit is harming and anti social behavior. Non smokers will have to accept that they can't enforce people to live by their standards of health and behavior.

My last time at Cedar Point (2011) people were smoking everywhere. Why have a rule if they don't enforce it? Maybe they're going through a sort of 'grace period' before they start cracking down. Six Flags is the opposite; I witnessed a friend who lit up once inside the gate get booted. I don't know how he didn't know the rule, it's everywhere.

It's much more enjoyable to walk around my home park (SF Great America) with out having to dodge smoke trails. I'm glad they have areas for smokers, I was never a smoker but I know what it's like to need a fix (in recovery now).

My Partner is a heavy smoker, tho he does not smoke in the house (the Garage is his designated smoking area )

so really, the only issue I have w/ Smoking Areas in parks, is that when we start to get a "groove" going in WDW or Six Flags, we have to stop and find the closest Smoking Area -- about once an hour.

It really impacts in parks like EPCOT where the Smoking Areas are so dang far away from everything (like has been suggested by some here). I was greatly relieved to discover at Disneyland how close the Smoking Areas were -- tho for the most part tucked away -- but it was nice to not have to go way out of the way just so Nick can smoke.

I'm not a smoker, but I'm not gonna let him go off by himself (and he does not like being alone in a strange place. . he's slightly agorophobic), so I end up having to stand with him. I'd rather it be along the path we're already on, than to drop everything to go stand in the middle of a plaza far away from Mission Space!

This is sort of unrelated, but if a park (or any Establishment for that matter) has a "no smoking" policy it is usually worded as "tobacco free" such that it would include all tobaccos (dip, chew, etc.). Do parks enforce usage of various mouth tobaccos the same way they do smoking? Usually if someone is responsible and spits properly in a bottle or whatever it's a kind of a non issue, but an obnoxious dipper/chewer spitting on the ground williy nilly wherever they please can be more disgusting then smoking. Has anyone ever seen a park official enforce a "no tobacco" policy on a dipper or chewer?

I remember seeing some teenagers once in line for Voyage who were dipping and just spitting all over the floor and the walls in the que line and I eventually had to say something to them because they were ridiculous. There are rednecks everywhere, so surely someone else has witnessed a patron abusing their mouth tobacco privileges, and possibly a park official enforcing said shenanigans?

I don't mind smoking areas as long as they can tuck them out of the way a little so you don't have to walk through them. The park is a business and has to try and accommodate all the guests and not piss to many people off in the process. I have found most smokers are pretty polite and use the designated areas.

Has anyone ever seen a park official enforce a "no tobacco" policy on a dipper or chewer?

I can understand you finding it gross, but I'd rather see someone spit than smell smoke. When I was a at Kennywood last year, I was surprised how many kids (under 20, geez I feel old!) were smoking. There were a BUNCH of them chewing too. It was all gross, but at least I don't get the horrible headache from watching someone chew. Is the nicotine gum that bad? I'm wondering why more tobacco/nicotine addicts don't use it. Would make it easier for everyone at the park

I can understand you finding it gross, but I'd rather see someone spit than smell smoke. When I was a at Kennywood last year, I was surprised how many kids (under 20, geez I feel old!) were smoking. There were a BUNCH of them chewing too. It was all gross, but at least I don't get the horrible headache from watching someone chew. Is the nicotine gum that bad? I'm wondering why more tobacco/nicotine addicts don't use it. Would make it easier for everyone at the park

I don't personally find the habit itself gross or offensive but I do think it's incredibly disrespectful and immature to spit all over pathways and walls and and que lines on someone else's property (or anywhere other then into a bottle), and if I were a park official and caught someone doing so I would certainly enforce the policies for that just as much as I would for smoking.

• 1 year later...
It should be banned to smoke anywhere in the park, it is gross and horrible.

This. Even if you have smoking areas, you can still smell the scent on them.

About the spit tobacco thing, that is just horrible. Now I know why we do not have a coaster/park in Mississippi.