Photo TR: Jason's Roadfood Adventures

Update: The Road to (and From) Conneaut Lake
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Games, links, news, movies, WHATEVER!!! As long as it's not TOO dirty!
New to the TPR Forums? Come say hello and introduce yourself HERE!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Photo TR: Jason's Roadfood Adventures

Postby cal1br3tto » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:45 pm

Burgerville. :lover: Their quality has declined some over time, but their items have a distinct flavor to them, plus as you found, they have some great regional items you won't routinely find at the bigger chains.

And I'm never not craving a voodoo doll donut.
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby x2isawesome » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:15 pm

I have to ask being a native of seattle if you managed to go to dicks burgers at any time in your food adventures. If not you missed a local seattle treat.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:34 pm

^ Is Dick's still on Broadway in Seattle? And also down near the Seattle Center as well?
Best part of getting stuff (for myself) from Dick's was late at night, when the bars closed
and everybody was heading home. The humanity there at that time was truly eclectic, LOL!
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby jray21 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:48 pm

This is seriously one of my favorite threads! The Reggie Deluxe looks absolutely amazing! I could also spend hours at the 20 foot waterfall. I'd be like a tourist at niagra falls! Thanks for more amazing updates!

Keeper Of The Carnivorous Bees!

Postby Meteornotes » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:29 pm

^I am shocked that this thread, that features photos of food, would be one of your favorites... :p

dt
Always trying to keep YOU entertained! Now with more Ice Bat!
The world would be a better place if Dave programmed our iPods - Derwood

Nuthin' better than a naked donkey!

Postby printersdevil78 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:45 pm

Thanks, all! I've never been to Dick's, but it sounds like a place to check out if I get back to Seattle.

And speaking of Seattle... this update contains the last of the photos from my 2013 Pacific Northwest/Northern California trip. Enjoy!
348.JPG
On the way back to our hotel after Otto's, we passed Annie’s Donuts, which was on my list for breakfast the next day. We decided to get a jump on things and stop in.
349.JPG
The interior was very ’70s.
349A.JPG
The selection was pretty large.
350.JPG
We’ll see about that….
351.JPG
Our assortment included a regular glazed, chocolate frosted, sour cream, buttermilk (that’s the one without a hole) and two raspberry fritters, for which we had high hopes. I really liked mine, but my dad thought his was just OK.
352.JPG
Unfortunately, I pulled a muscle in my back either the day before our vacation started or the day we left, and it got progressively worse as we went on. By the time we made it to the Rheinlander for an authentic German dinner that evening, I was in considerable pain.
353.JPG
They really did up the “German” exterior.
354.JPG
Inside, too!
355.JPG
My dad, having not gotten his fill of sausages at Otto’s, opted for a German sausage platter.
356.JPG
I, on the other hand, ordered a sampler that included sausage, cabbage, hot German potato salad, two types of schnitzel…
357.JPG
…and a Bavarian pretzel!
358.JPG
Like Otto’s, the Rheinlander also had a mustard buffet… granted, a slightly more refined version.
361.JPG
Though we opted for indoor seating, we spied a few diners enjoying their meals on the patio on the way out.
362.JPG
After a visit to a somewhat sketchy immediate care center the next morning to get some pain medication for my back (I got a discount for paying for my prescription up front, in cash…) and a truly amazing afternoon at the Enchanted Forest (if you think Challenge of Mondor is trippy, try it on oxycodone!), we stopped for dinner at Big Stuff Barbecue in Cottage Grove, OR.
363.JPG
Based on all the signs and bumper stickers we saw, there is a tremendous amount of civic pride in Cottage Grove. The walls of the restaurant were decorated with vintage photos from the region.
364.JPG
The hand-cut fries were pretty good.
365.JPG
The beans were OK, as well. I tried the pulled pork sandwich, while my dad got a brisket sandwich. Both were pretty good, though if I had to do it again, I would have gotten my sauce on the side; it was hard to taste the flavor of the pork whatsoever with so much sauce on top.
366.JPG
Outside, a series of freshly painted Coke murals decorated adjacent buildings.
367.JPG
This really was a nice little town.
368.JPG
After setting up camp (OK, renting a hotel room) in Crescent City, CA, for the night, we spent the next day touring the California Redwood Trail. On the way to Rohnert Park, from which we would leave the next day for San Francisco, we pulled off the highway in Cloverdale, CA, in an attempt to find someplace for dinner and stumbled upon Pick’s Drive-In.
369.JPG
Unfortunately, it was closed for the day.
370.JPG
A bit further down the road, we discovered Zini’s Diner.
371.JPG
Zini’s was a very bare-bones restaurant located in a strip mall, but its food proved to be quite tasty.
372.JPG
I started with a bowl of clam chowder.
373.JPG
My dad, having regretted not getting the turkey dinner at the Rheinlander a couple days before, made up for it here.
374.JPG
I opted for the bleu cheeseburger.
375.JPG
When it comes to dessert, my dad is always on the lookout for peach pie, though it tends to be a rarity. Not at Zini’s!
376.JPG
I, on the other hand, opted for the chocolate crepe, which was good but very rich.
377.JPG
No new Roadfood for us the next day, as we skipped lunch to fit in tours of the Charles M. Schulz Museum in Santa Rosa and Lucasfilm and the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco, then had dinner at In-N-Out Burger, which already has been covered in this thread. On our way back to Seattle the next day, we passed the Del Norte County fairgrounds and decided to stop for a short break. Why?
378.JPG
Farmers market! By this time, we had been driving for awhile and were looking for an excuse to stop and stretch our legs, so why not?
379.JPG
We really didn’t expect to buy anything, but when I saw this stand, I was intrigued. Apparently it’s so popular that it has to advertise the days it will be at the farmers market (first and third Saturdays).
390.JPG
So I took the bait and ordered a breakfast burrito.
391.JPG
The result? Amazing! Far better than the ones I get at Sonic.
392.JPG
As we approached Seattle many hours later, I started looking on my iPad for potential restaurants for the final meal of our trip. The Pick-Quick Drive-In in Fife, WA, sure sounded good!
393.JPG
The outdoor dining area was very picturesque…
394.JPG
…and much better than the alternative across the street!
395.JPG
It took us awhile to place our order due to a rather lengthy line, and it took even longer for our number to be called when the food was ready. But when we got it… wow! The burgers were great, and the shakes were tremendous. Mine was butterscotch.

Up next: a return to the Delmarva Peninsula for some ethnic fare, pizza, ice cream and even cheesecake!

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:15 pm

WIN for the German Sampler!!!

<drools>
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby Philrad71 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:18 pm

^Agree...that almost looks better than Schmidt's sausage platter. YUM!!!

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:28 pm

Nrthwnd wrote:WIN for the German Sampler!!!

<drools>

:nina:

Yay for schnitzel!

Starbucks Enthusiast

Postby gisco » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:17 pm

I think I will go home and over eat now at dinner.

PreviousNext

Return to Random, Random, Random