Poll: What is your major?

Just curious to see what TPR's educational background is.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Games, links, news, movies, WHATEVER!!! As long as it's not TOO dirty!
New to the TPR Forums? Come say hello and introduce yourself HERE!

What is your major?

Agriculture
1%
Architecture
1%
Ethnic/Cultural/Gender Studies
1%
Arts (performance, theater, visual, etc.)
9%
Biologic/biomedical sciences
3%
Business
10%
Communications/ Journalism
8%
Computer/ Information sciences
7%
Education
2%
Engineering
20%
English
3%
Family and Consumer sciences
Health/Safety/Clinical Sciences
1%
History
2%
Language
1%
Law/Criminal Justice
2%
Liberal arts and sciences/ humanities
1%
Math/Statistics
1%
Natural Resources/ Conservation
1%
Recreation/Fitness
1%
Culinary
0%
Philosophy/ Religion
Physical Sciences
2%
Psychology
2%
Social Sciences
2%
I didn't attend college.
2%
I haven't graduated from high school yet.
15%

Total votes : 245

Macaroni and Donkey

Re: Poll: What is your major?

Postby Intamax92 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:12 pm

Just finished my first project in Business Engineering.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Hilltopper39 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:30 am

A.J. wrote:It's very hard to explain, but I left each lecture/panel/tour thinking to myself, "Is this really what I want to do?".

Then, last semester, I began to dislike the courses that I was taking. All of it was just deriving formulas and doing calculations that would take a good while each.

I'm not the kind of person who can just sit around all day and do mathematics problems, or repair intricate machinery - it just took me until now to realize it. I've always been more of a creative person than a technical person. I have always casted my creative abilities aside as a hobby.

I want to create things, not maintain them.

That was something that I discovered in my engineering curriculum, half of it I loved, half of it I absolutely despised. I too was more creative than technical but unfortunately I found that there wasn't a lot of room for creativity in my (and probably most) undergraduate programs, some sure but not that kind that I was expecting.

Also, to address your last statement, I've discovered that there are a LOT more opportunities in this world that involve "maintaining" things that there are "creating" things. Wish someone I had been told me that a long time ago because I think with the right mindset certain maintenance and operations position could be a lot of fun.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby STR8FXXXINEDGE » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:32 am

Well, I started out going for Mechanical Engineering for obvious reasons, but then I remembered how much I HATE math! Now...

Associate: Fine Arts
Bachelors: Graphic Design

Graphic Design is what I love. I've been doing it for years and can sit at the computer and get lost in what I'm doing. I can sit here all day and it feels like it's been an hour.

I know EXACTLY where my passport is!

Postby TPDave » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:06 pm

Another engineer chiming in!

I didn't go into engineering though, I'm currently in operations and loving it - certainly keeps me on my toes :)

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:42 pm

STR8FXXXINEDGE wrote:Associate: Fine Arts
Bachelors: Graphic Design

Graphic Design is what I love. I've been doing it for years and can sit at the computer and get lost in what I'm doing. I can sit here all day and it feels like it's been an hour.

I wish I could have gotten into the Graphic Design program! But, Penn State's is so stringent, you have to be willing to declare it before you even start as a freshman, and unless you want to be there for six years you're pretty much stuck doing it and nothing else besides the required general education courses. You just don't have room for any electives at all.

I can't even take Graphic Design courses that are in my major's curriculum because I'm not in their program! It's ridiculous!

Thankfully, the program that I'm in now is the next best thing, as it's interdisciplinary.

I'm learning to do stuff like this. Robb, is this the sort of thing you used to do?

Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
Check out my theme park 3D visualization portfolio!
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby SmokiesFriend » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:37 am

Didn't enroll for a full college education. Have taken classes at the community college in fine art/art. I have been a working artist (and a starving artist) for a very long time now I have the experience in color and composition, basic design, fiber mixed media, and weaving (looms). As a child I loved mechanical drawing. Really like using a ruler and pencil to make straight lines without tails on the corners. Have graduated to making curved lines.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/2114e6855e686011e3b04e3722e482b0.jpg[/img][/url]

I know more about donkeys than women!

Postby johnychen » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:58 am

I have a
BS in Aerospace Engineering from the University of Texas at Austin (So I am a rocket scientist)
Master in Business Administration from the University of Houston Clear Lake

I worked in the Johnson Space Center for 3 years as a space shuttle safety engineer. Currently I am a web applications developer for Schlumberger.

I also have been a Mobile DJ since 1987. My true passions is entertaining people with a ton of high tech equipment. Which is why I love theme parks.
Native Houstonian, rocket scientist, mobile DJ, theme park enthusiast, geek, Youtuber, and community activist.

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby Maplepancake » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:43 am

My major is Marine Science with a minor in Business Administration. :) Random I know.

Is my pee supposed to be this color?

Postby Midgetman82 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:29 am

I started college seeking a degree in Architecture, but then learned reeeealy quickly that it wasn't for me and moved to photography; a major that I think was better suited for me in the first place. (It'd be listed under Arts.)
So long, and thanks for all the fish! | Photography Blog |Flickr | @WaterSlideDB | Coaster Count

Challenge me at Donkey Kong...I dare ya!

Postby screaminkid2005 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 4:07 am

I'm a Communications Major. I'm planning on either going towards Public Relations or towards TV Production... We'll see what happens with it. :p

PreviousNext

Return to Random, Random, Random