TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Crazy Diets and Ways to Lose Weight

What are some of the crazy diets or ways to lose weight you have tried?

I hear a popular one is doing Bikram Yoga. I tried bikram yoga once and loved it! It was very challenging, but after the whole process of dying and planning out your funeral during class, felt amazing after words. I can't wait to go back again!

- Smart for Life has the cookie diet which I've heard a lot of people have lost weight on.

- There's a fruit diet, where you eat fruit every 2 hours with water.

Lets hear yours!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eating a normal medium fat and carb diet with fruit in between meals??

Or, what I used to do is try and eat as much fat as possible to make my body fat-intolerant. It failed to work.

18st down the line, I'm losing a healthy 2lbs a week Lost almost a stone in 5 weeks.

I came in here thinking I was going to share some insight since I've gone from 225 to 165 in a year and a half, but then I realized that I really don't eat that great. I still eat crappy foods (that I love eating, mmmm) but just eat a lot less of them. And no snacks between meals unless I'm physically hungry, and when that happens I'll have something small, like fruit or pretzels. And the biggest thing is that I cut out all sodas and juices from my diet and have felt amazing ever since. Some of my weight loss buddies tell me I'm cheating since I still eat generally unhealthy foods, but it's really all about understanding your body and knowing how to eat within a range that allows you to lose weight. There's no one special diet or food that will magically make everyone lose weight, it's all about trying different things and once you find something that works, go with it. That's what I did and have not had to give up anything I really cared about and have lost a ton of weight in the process. That's the best advice I can give to anyone looking to lose weight.

• 1 month later...

I quit drinking and lost 40lbs. Found 20 of that somewhere . Switched to diet soda and lost 10lbs. Now I live by the "eat less and move more" philosophy and have lost the other 10. Really, eating healthy portions (even if it is crap food) and moving works like a charm for me. I don't like (READ: HATE) to work out, so I don't. By just staying active I can burn calories and stay relatively fit.

I don't believe in any crazy diets. I also believe that all of us are quite unique and what works for one may do the opposite for another.

As for me, I still eat crap, but I eat less and I move/exercise more and that's been great! I've lost 7 pounds in the last three months and while that may not sound like a lot on my frame it's actually great!

Well, this is a very timely topic, as we are going back on the South Beach diet, starting tomorrow. We did it 4.5 years ago, during my last term of nursing school. It worked very well for us - I lost 10 pounds and Todd lost 26 pounds, in 6 weeks, but then he got laid off, I had to go back to work full time for the last month and a half of school, and it all went to hell.

I am very frustrated, because I have not lost a single pound, since I started running, last September. I went from no exercise, to running/working out 1 hour/day, 4-5 days/week, without changing my diet at all, and I haven't lost any weight. I don't know how that is possible. And it's not because I'm building muscle, because my flab layer is unchanged. I'm blaming sluggish middle-aged metabolism.

So, this time, I want to lose 10 pounds, again, and Todd wants to lose 32 pounds (I posted 40, in the running thread, but he corrected me. )

Elissa - you are completely right about different methods working for different people. And, as I am unfortunately learning, what works at one stage of life does not necessarily work, as you get older.

^Totally understand!

And I too have been dealing with the post kids getting older lack of metabolism. I used to be able to eat ANYTHING and EVERYTHING...now I can still eat ANYTHING, but not as much of it as I want!

My first month of working out I didn't lose any weight and didn't see any difference. Now after three months though I can see muscles and weight loss!

Edited by SharkTums

I got a job in a factory and have lost about 30 pounds in about 3 and half months while still eating large ridiculously bad portions and remaining fairly inactive during my days off lol. I wonder what kind of weight loss i would have if I actually tried.

I've completely cut out soda, and drink nothing but water or milk......and the occasional beer (of course!). No more fast food (only once a week), and I thy to find a healthy option when I go to a restaurant. I also workout two to three times a week. I was kind of at a plateau, when I decided I needed to start cardio (which I hate). I found that I like riding the stationary bike, and the pounds started to melt off. So, I do at least twenty minutes of that, then hit the weights.

I've lost 12 pounds since late May, gained three, and should be back down by SFGAm Day, as that's my goal - which I think is important. Set a realistic goal, when you reach it, set another, etc, etc.

I rarely drink sodas. 99% of the time of I drink tap water (4-5 liters a day). I am not trying, but since winter, I gone from around 280-90 to around 260. I don't do much outside because I can't stand humidity and my job has me sitting for 8 hours a day.

I do plan to try to loose some pounds (like around 40-60) by winter. The biking/walking trail is expanding and will be literally right across the street from my apt. complex. I plan to get back to biking again. This spring I bought a new bike and was up to the point I was able to ride up to 9-10 miles a time without getting crazy tired. Goal is to get up to riding the whole trail at least twice a week (15 miles round trip). Also, I plan to paddle when the weather is nice soon at the lake up the road from my house since I have my kayak at home now.

As for eating, I eat at Subway a lot now because it is close and close to healthy (normal is oven roasted chicken with shredded cheese, onions, mayo, pickle, green peppers) for dinner. Lunch is normally a lunch meat sandwhich and I am usually not up in time for breakfest.

If I can get down to my goal by winter and keep it off, I am going down to Vincennes and riding the Blue Flash.

I agree with pretty much everything said so far. You have to figure out what works best for you. Almost no soda and lots of water is a big help in keeping weight off for me. I tend to gain weight quickly if I'm not active. I don't like depriving myself of foods that I like, even if they're crappy, so I'll just try to do a little more exercise if I have a pig out day. I do try to choose a healthier option if available, such as whole wheat pasta.

As for exercise, I've tried tons of stuff and get bored quickly, but have managed to stick with running regularly for several years now. I've also really enjoy kickboxing and zumba lately as well. I like workouts that constantly keep me moving at a fast pace. I never could get into yoga or pilates for that reason.

I like David's "eat less and move more" idea. You don't have to finish everything on your plate just because it's there. And if you're close enough to walk somewhere, do it, or take the stairs instead of the elevator/escalator.

^^I usually park at the far end of the parking lot, always walk instead of taking the parking shuttle at work, and always take the stairs (I work on the 4th floor.) People can't understand why I prefer to take the stairs, so I just started telling them I'm too claustrophobic for elevators.

I got a job in a factory and have lost about 30 pounds in about 3 and half months while still eating large ridiculously bad portions and remaining fairly inactive during my days off lol. I wonder what kind of weight loss i would have if I actually tried.

That's awesome Hector.

When I used to have a physical job I did the same thing, it was AWESOME. Problem was when I got a desk job and kept eating the same way = gaining 65 pounds in 3 years. (yeah)

As for diets ... I can't do them. I have done a de-cleansing diet (which is basically just fruits/veggies/brown rice/beans/water) for 9 days. It's actually really not hard to do and if done right you can drop about 10 pounds in 9 days. I'm actually going to do this starting next Monday so I can get down to my running weight before my race in September. And then about a week prior to the race I'll cut out most meat (maybe chicken/fish only).

My wife did the Atkins a few years back and lost a lot of weight, but she hated it. Gotta have the carbs.

At the end of the day, for me, a low-fat diet coupled with exercise is the way to go.

But as was said above, it's all about what works for you and after not struggling with weight for my first 24 years of life, and now struggling with it for the past 10 I'm not going to bash anybody who is trying to live a healthier life.

• 3 weeks later...

I find that eating one meal a week that is "bad' works for me. Other times I'm eating good portions and pretty healthy. Combine this with a very very strict work out regimen and diet last summer I'm down to around 140 (usually a little under) from 170 just a year prior.

At home, like now, is killer. I have no access to the gym, and since it's in the summer months it's too hot to run outside. I'm on vacation from working or school so I don't want to do anything. I also tend to eat out more and eat more both in and out. At home I've gained like one or two pounds this whole break, but once I go back I'm going back to the gym daily.

I decided to slim down for my cross country season, which is kind of a stupid thing considering I was very fit before and had almost no real body fat. Really though, I found that eating legitimately healthy is a fantastic way to lose weight. My training has me run every day, and I by eliminating all forms of processed crap, soda, and random carbohydrates (rather than fruit and the basics: whole wheat and oatmeal and whatnot), I felt fantastic and pretty much eliminated the rest of my body fat to a bare minimum.

If you can develop a love for fruits and vegetables and fill upon those, and just find the time to move, either walking to work/lunch or actually working out, it can be very easy.

• 1 year later...

here are some more tips to Lose Weight Fast..

-Eat 6 Small Meals Per Day

-Focus on Eating Less Carbohydrates. Fats and Protein are fair game!

-Eat lower glycemic carbohydrates, also known as “Slow Carbs”

-Exercise – Focus on building muscle with weights and trade long boring cardio for short, high intensity cardio

-Cut out liquid calories – Soda, Juice, etc. (Stick to water and unsweetened tea)

-Record Everything – Every day, take weight measurements and pictures of yourself in the mirror

-Don’t make Dieting a big deal. Make it easy and fun.

-Start by doing ANYTHING in the right direction. Don’t worry about big goals. Baby Steps are key.

here are some more tips to Lose Weight Fast..

-Eat 6 Small Meals Per Day

-Focus on Eating Less Carbohydrates. Fats and Protein are fair game!

-Eat lower glycemic carbohydrates, also known as “Slow Carbs”

-Exercise – Focus on building muscle with weights and trade long boring cardio for short, high intensity cardio

-Cut out liquid calories – Soda, Juice, etc. (Stick to water and unsweetened tea)

-Record Everything – Every day, take weight measurements and pictures of yourself in the mirror

-Don’t make Dieting a big deal. Make it easy and fun.

-Start by doing ANYTHING in the right direction. Don’t worry about big goals. Baby Steps are key.

Those are all good sugestions.

I'm no fan of fad diets. Yeah, they may work but if you don't change your eating habits you are just going to put it right back on.

• 5 years later...
What are some of the crazy diets or ways to lose weight you have tried?

I hear a popular one is doing Bikram Yoga. I tried bikram yoga once and loved it! It was very challenging, but after the whole process of dying and planning out your funeral during class, felt amazing after words. I can't wait to go back again!

- Smart for Life has the cookie effective supplement keto os which I've heard a lot of people have lost weight on.

- There's a fruit diet, where you eat fruit every 2 hours with water.

Lets hear yours!

Hello Twister ,

Sometimes people will do anything to lose weight, as evidenced by the two diets below. If you’ve tried these or other similar diets, it might be time to get the help and advice of a professional in the weight loss industry.

The Grapefruit Diet - This diet has you eating grapefruit and nothing but grapefruit for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. While you’ll likely lose weight for obvious lack of calories, you’ll also lose a great deal of health for obvious lack of nutrients.