TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Which camera do you currently use?

Looking for some info here and hoping somebody can help me. I have no clue what I'm talking about when it comes to cameras but I know a good picture when I see one. I've been debating on saving up some money for a good camera but have no clue where to start looking. I know I want something better than the cheap "Pocket" cameras that keep getting smaller and smaller, but I also don't want to throw a couple thousand dollars towards a ridiculously good camera because I won't be using it that much. My uncle has an old 1970's Nikon 35mm he's had since high school that I've used to snap pictures of the grand canyon, Bryce Canyon and Zion Canyon and I'm told they can be sold for some money they're so good. I enjoy that camera because I was able to play with the lenses and settings to get a unique picture but why would I spend money on an outdated technology? Can anybody point me in a good direction for a new digital camera? I'd mainly be taking pictures of coaster, nature and architecture if there's a certain model that seems to be better for those... Any tips are much appreciated.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ You can fetch around 200$ for an old SLR on craigslist, a lot of the older professional shooters don't want to move up to a Digital SLR.

Also, if you're looking to get a DSLR, you can always look on eBay, I managed to snag a Canon 20D for 300$ with 2 lenses, it may be older, but for 300$ you can't really beat it.

Right now I use a Nikon CoolPix s560. It's 10MP and takes really good shots for its size. I use it for trips and parks or anywhere I know I'm gonna take pictures.

When I need a camera anywhere else, I just use my smartphone, a myTouch 3g Slide. It's 5 megapixels (though megapixels don't really matter at all) and it takes good photos, though it manages to take bad photos every once in a while. I really only use it at school or for Facebook mobile uploads. That's all it was really meant for anyway.

But I'm so stoked for my Canon EOS 20D to come in the mail! I can't wait to delve into artistic photography

^That's the term I couldn't remember! "SLR"...Thanks for the reply. Yes the SLR style is what I'm looking for. After a quick google search on the Canon 20D, you really snagged a $1500 camera for $300? Great steal on that one . I'll definitely check out ebay and craigslist now.

• 3 years later...

Update for me:

Canon 60d and T3i DSLR's

-8mm f/3.5

-14mm f/2.8

-17-40mm f/4

-18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 (Yay for kit lenses )

-50mm f/1.8

-55-250 f/4.5-5.6

-100-400mm f/4-5.6

Also a Canon XA10 that I'm still trying to get acquainted with! I want to sell some of my lenses someday in return for faster ones. My latest two was the 14mm and the 50mm after having sold a Tamron 18-200mm.

^If you can help it, I really recommend avoiding the basic GoPro Hero and the Hero 3/3+ white editions. I bought the GoPro Hero 4 Silver this Christmas, and after having owned the Hero 2 before it, I've been very impressed by its capabilities so far.

I recently purchased a Nikon Coolpix L330, one of the compact zoom cameras. I was looking at getting a DSLR, but they're just too damn expensive and way too bulky for carting around amusement parks. I haven't really had a chance to take any pictures other than test shots, but it seems like it's going to be a REALLY nice camera for the $150 I paid for it.

Lots of updates on my list since I last posted in this topic.

Cameras:

Canon 5D Mark III & 70D

Lenses:

16-35mm f/4L IS

24-70mm f/2.8L II

70-200mm f/2.8L II IS

300mm f/2.8L II IS

85mm f/1.2L

1.4x III teleconverter for telephotos

How do you like the 70D?

For daily snapshots and videos, I just use my iPhone 6. It gets the job done.

When I actually want to take "nice" pictures and videos, I use a Nikon D3200 with the kit 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II lens. Not my ideal setup, but it's what I could afford at the time. Even with the kit lens, the image quality is ridiculously good for an entry-level DSLR (especially the video quality, I was stunned the first time I used it to film something). I'm planning on getting a new lens soon, either the 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR or 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II, depending on how much I'm able to save up. I'd rather get the 18-200, but it's $100 more than the 18-140, and $100 is a big difference to someone who makes as "much" money as I do, haha.

My granddad also gave me his Nikon FA SLR that he bought brand new in the mid 1980's, including three lenses, a flash, and a ridiculously old cleaning kit. I'd use it, but I have no idea how to use a film camera, so that's something else I'll have to learn later on in life. I'd love to learn how to use it and develop the film myself, though.

For me, it's every day life (never videoed on a coaster, but since there are rules about putting the toys away, and I'm one to follow them), but for the rest of things in life, I use either a Nikon Coolpix, or my Samsung Galaxy S4

• 1 month later...

Ended up selling my 70D and 16-35mm f/4L IS to fund the new 11-24mm... Got the lens last week and it's incredible. 11mm on 35mm format is just insane. It is the widest available rectilinear lens available for an SLR (that is not fisheye...)

Just some sample shots taken with the lens... Can't wait to test it out in Orlando and at Carowinds in two weeks!

Here is the Christmas Story House (11mm):

16108299783_0e45565a04_c.jpgChristmas Story House by invertalon, on Flickr

Downtown Cleveland (17mm)

16108302123_cbe4e0b727_c.jpgDowntown Cleveland by invertalon, on Flickr

Next compares the focal length difference from 24mm down to 11mm! (24mm, 14mm, 11mm)

16702357106_6a0e70f26c_c.jpgCleveland - 24mm by invertalon, on Flickr

16540847380_4963995a81_c.jpgCleveland - 14mm by invertalon, on Flickr

16542146939_c589b5e9a1_c.jpgCleveland - 11mm by invertalon, on Flickr