Jeremy Renner - The Hurt fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo

Best Actress

Sandra Bullock - The Blind Side

Helen Mirren - The Last Station

Carey Mulligan - An Education

Gabourey Sidibe - Precious: Based on the novel 'Push' by Sapphire

Meryl Streep - Julie and Julia

For the rest of the nominees, go here!

I'm pulling for District 9 for Best Picture, but I know it won't win it. Before these Oscars roll around, I've got to watch all the other nominees for Best Picture. Who do you think should win for which categories?

---Brent

Edited by CTU Agent

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Not to mention I've seen that Avatar story on a ton of other random movies/sci fi shows.

Anyone ever see the ABC Miniseries Dinotopia? It has the same 'choose a flying dinosaur type thing, you can only choose one, and it must choose you too' exact thing!!!!

Anvil: The Story Of Anvil not being nominated for Best Documentary is a crime. That was probably my favorite movie from last year.

I'd love to see District 9 win for best picture, just because of how much less it cost than something like Avatar. Which I still haven't seen, as I really don't want to sit in a theater for three hours. Plus, it seems like it has the most predictable plot ever. If I watch it at home whenever it comes out on DVD, I can at least pause it when I want or make obnoxious commentary to the cat while it's on...

dt

Usually I see about half of the best picture nominees, but have only seen Inglorious Basterds this year. While it was a great movie, I don't even think it was Tarantino's best.

The only category I would say is a lock is Supporting Actor. Christoph Waltz absolutely stole the show in Basterds.

Anvil: The Story Of Anvil not being nominated for Best Documentary is a crime. That was probably my favorite movie from last year.

I'd love to see District 9 win for best picture, just because of how much less it cost than something like Avatar. Which I still haven't seen, as I really don't want to sit in a theater for three hours. Plus, it seems like it has the most predictable plot ever. If I watch it at home whenever it comes out on DVD, I can at least pause it when I want or make obnoxious commentary to the cat while it's on...

dt

I know some people disliked the predictable plot, but I reallllly recommend seeing Avatar in theaters. It will not be the same on DVD. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but for me, Avatar was the single most mind-blowing experience I have ever had in a movie theater. I walked out in awe. It may not be the "best" movie ever made but it IS one of my FAVORITE movies ever made. I'm just saying, if you haven't given it a shot, I would at least gamble the 12 bucks and give it a whirl, you may be pleasantly surprised.

I feel behind this year as I still need to see a lot of these movies!

Hoping to catch A Serious Man and Crazy Heart this weekend and will probably Redbox Up, District 9 and The Hurt Locker over the next couple of weeks.

I had absolutely no desire to see Avatar but my dad really wanted to and I ended up loving it. I even hate 3D stuff but still liked it. I was totally engaged in the emotional aspect of the story. I do think it went along a little long and I absolutely don't think it is better than some of the other movies, such as Up in the Air.

^ Then Kill Me. Avatar will win all the lesser categories it was nominated for including Sound Mixing, Sound Editing, Special Effects (Obvious)... I would like to See it win best picture for all of the work that was put into the movie and for the Box Office Records it has been setting... I have not seen the Hurt Locker but hope to rent it soon... Up in the Air has slowly bee losing ground amoung the critics though... It was, before the Golden Globes, the favorite and it felt like The Hurt Locker and Avatar would had been runners up... Now, it looks not easily the forerunner... I have only seen 5 of the 10 Best Picture Nominees... (Avatar, District 9, Up, Up in the Air, and Inglorious Basterds)

Watched "The Hurt Locker" last night. It was awesome, 10 minutes in and we were all on the edge of our seats. So intense.

Went and saw "An Education" this afternoon, it was also excellent. Such a good story, I think a lot of women could relate to it. It also had beautiful clothing, music and a lovely setting.

The Hurt Locker is my choice for Best Film at this point.

Edited by nursemelis374

Am I the only one who was surprised that Miyazaki's "Ponyo" wasn't nominated for Best Animated Feature? Also, even though it was impossible at the time, I really wish "This Is It" was eligible for Best Documentary. Oh well, either way James Cameron is innevitably walking away with a butt-load of awards that he doesn't even deserve and Pixar will win at least one award which they do deserve, very much.

PS: If Transformers 2 wins Best Sound Mixing, I'll cry.

PS: If Transformers 2 wins Best Sound Mixing, I'll cry.

Usually the action movies will win Best Sound Mixing/Editing or some of the othr technical awards. It's pretty much the only way they even get nomincated for an Academy Award.

That said, here are my early predictions for the main Oscars:

Best Picture: The Hurt L-o-c-k-e-r

Best Actor: Jeff "The Dude" Bridges (Crazy Heart)

Best Actress: Gabourey Sidibe (Precious)

Best Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz (Inglourious Basterds)

Best Supporting Actress: Mo'Nique (Precious)

Best Original Screenplay: The Hurt L-o-c-k-e-r

Best Adapted Screenplay: Precious

Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow (The Hurt L-o-c-k-e-r)

Best Animated Feature: Up

• 3 weeks later...

I saw District 9 and Crazy Heart this weekend. Crazy Heart was a great movie and Jeff Bridges should win for Best Actor. I am not a fan of today's country music but I really liked the music in Crazy Heart.

District 9 was much better than I expected it to be, kind of sad.

I only have Up, Inglorious Basterds, A Serious Man and Precious left. I don't want to see Precious, I heard it was incredibly hard to watch, but have Up and Inglorious Basterds at home waiting for me to view. Hoping to catch A Serious Man at the Laemmle before Sunday.

I've seen about half of the Best Picture nominees. I'd really like to see District 9 win Best Picture. There's also a part of me that wants to see Up win Best Picture just because no other animated film has done so thus far. But I don't think that either of those are realistic predictions. I think it'll inevitably go to either Avatar or Hurt Lock-er.

BEST PICTURE:

Four-way tie - THE HURT LOCKR, AVATAR, INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS and DISTRICT 9

(These movies were all so damn awesome - I'd be happy to see any one of them win. UP was really good too, even if it was Pixar. And yes, AVATAR had a predictable plot and was a bit too politically correct, but visually, it was possibly the most jaw-dropping film-going experience I've ever had. It deserves all of its attention and hype.)

BEST ACTOR:

Jeremy Renner (THE HURT LOCKR)

(In fairness, I haven't seen Crazy Heart yet - I'm sure Jeff Bridges was good too.)

BEST ACTRESS:

Meryl Streep

(I didn't see any of the movies in this category - Streep wins by default, on the basis of seniority.)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR:

Christoph Waltz (INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS) - no contest here!

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS:

Tie - Melanie Laurent and Diane Kruger (both from INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS, even though neither were actually nominated)

The only categories I care about are Best Picture and Best Director. The Best Picture noms I've seen are Inglorious Basterds, Up, The Hurt Lockr, Avatar, and District 9. I think Inglorious Basterds should win Best Picture, because it was all around the most entertaining movie out of the five that I saw, and the entire cast worked great together. But I'm guessing The Hurt Lockr will be the one to win. I'm also guessing Katherine Bigelow will win Best Director, and I'm completely fine with that. I will be very disappointed if Avatar wins Best Picture, though. VERY disappointed...