TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Vegas Thread!

Jew

Hey everyone:

I figured there is enough of us Vegas junkies on here that we should have our own thread for posting news, construction updates, reviews, questions, etc.

I just got back from another crazy trip to Vegas. Long story short: Rok Vegas is still my favorite club in vegas (and Tao is still incredibly overcrowded), Brand steakhouse @ Monte Carlo has the best Potato Gratin I've ever had, Tacos & Tequila @ Luxor is a bad rip off of Pink Taco, and Hotel 32 is incredible.

I'll post more pictures from City Center and a Loft Suite @ Hotel 32 in the next few days.

In the mean time check out Twister II's

THREAD on City Center Or Renee's Las Vegas Marathon TR.

Edited by Jew

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm going for two days next month after visiting my Dad in San Fransisco.

I got a great deal at Excalibur from following them on twitter ($65 for Saturday night, $33 for Sunday night). It'll be my third time going in the past two years.

I was really hoping I'd have an extra $180 to spend by cashing in my Superbowl bet, but looks like I'll just have to spend my own money.

I'm not a huge club person, but last time I was there (end of August - beginning of September) my cousin and I went to Coyote Ugly. Incredibly, because he's in a wheelchair, we got front of the line and no cover. Next time we're going to see if it works at Pure.

I'm not a huge club person, but last time I was there (end of August - beginning of September) my cousin and I went to Coyote Ugly. Incredibly, because he's in a wheelchair, we got front of the line and no cover. Next time we're going to see if it works at Pure.

Good luck finding enough space for a wheelchair. All of the more "famous" clubs are set up in a way where you really have to get a table in order to enjoy them. The dance floor/bar areas are always packed to capacity. It's more like a mosh pit than a dance floor.

My personal favorites are LAVO @ Venetian (like a smaller, way less packed version of TAO) and Rok Vegas @ NYNY. Coyote Ugly and the club at Imperial Place (Rockhouse I think the name is) are good "value" clubs...cheap cover, a good vibe, and nice enough for you to still have a good time.

I love Vegas!

Tacos & Tequila @ Luxor is a bad rip off of Pink Taco.

I almost went there last month but never got around to it. Glad to hear that I wasn't missing anything special.

I also like to try and see a show or two when I visit Vegas. I've seen Phantom twice, even though it's still playing here in NY, too. I prefer the shortened version that they have, and the scenery and special effects are terrific.

I have to see more Cirque du Soleil shows. I've only seen O and Mystere, which were both enjoyable.

Cool thread idea. I was also here this past weekend and here are my thoughts.

Retro Bakery = It is about 15 minutes off the strip but was totally worth the drive. I have been to quite a few cupcake places and this was my favorite. Only $2.50 each, delicious and a ton of variety. I will be going back there on my next trip in May. Favorites: Butterscotch and Brownie. www.retrobakerylv.com

Jet = Nightclub in Mirage. It was totally chaotic trying to get it. We got in for free since we are women but guys were having a hard time getting in. Good music inside but super crowded. The guys from Jersey Shore were there that night so a lot of people showed up. There was a platform in the middle of the dancefloor with poles so every wannabe-stripper was up there in her mega-short skirt flashing her crotch. There were guys everywhere taking pictures of this so I am sure those pics are now all over the internet. We lasted about an hour. Should have listened to Joey!

BLT = Restuarant in Mirage that was really good. They are kind of a gourmet diner type place. We shared a yummy burger, these delicious cheese-bacon-waffle fries and deep fried pickles that reminded me of eating in Pigeon Forge. I would go back.

VooDoo Lounge = Inside of Rio (where we were staying) and up about 50 floors. This place was much more our scene and we had a blast there. Strong, reasonably priced drinks; beautiful view; good music and good vibe. We met some fun people there and stayed until around 3:30. Cover was free for ladies also. I would go back.

Serendipity 3 = I have tried to go to the one in NYC twice, but it was always packed. This one was pretty crowded but they had a take-out window serving their famous frozen hot chocolate. We split a small one and it was pretty good. The food looked good and I would like to go back and eat at the actual restaurant.

That's all! I will be back in May!

So for my first hotel review, I'll do my latest trip. After 1 night in a Monaco Suite+regular room @ Monte Carlo (both very adequate rooms, but nothing worth taking pictures of. In fact, Monte Carlo is one of my favorite hotels for being cheap, clean, and in a good location), I paid to upgrade to a Loft Suite @ Hotel 32.

For those of you who weren't aware, Hotel 32 is the renovated 32nd floor of Monte Carlo. If you recall, that was the floor destroyed by the fire. So insurance money paid for MGM to build themselves a brand new boutique hotel.

All I can say is WOW. The rack rate is only $300ish right now, which is a hell of a deal. The hotel lists the room at 1200 sqft, and even though there is only one bed...it easily slept all 6 of us between the bed and all the couches. There's also a private concierge lounge with some snacks, soda, bottled water, etc. included. The best part though is the "suite assistant" who basically gets you whatever you want at any MGM property. We used them for all our dinner reservations and the best table @ Rok Vegas. And we got a limo ride to the airport included.

Here's the best photo tour I could put together between pictures from my friends and my cell phone...

I also did a very crude video tour using my phone that you can check out HERE.

Oh, and to add on to Melissa's comments:

Burger Bar @ Mandalay Bay is another great burger place. Decent beer selection too! And while at Mandalay Bay, another lounge with incredible views is MIX. But there is also only a very tiny dancing area there.

19367_274986859586_519964586_3312454_5031444_n.jpg.8febc2236d85f87baf29a7e26b016a61.jpg

View from one of the windows.

19367_274986774586_519964586_3312451_3654516_n.jpg.35326cf9e2afbd4c49424d378ffd07f2.jpg

The bar/desk area. Complete with Expresso machine.

19367_274986914586_519964586_3312455_1533211_n.jpg.a5243105394ec25becde2540a49a2300.jpg

Everything in the room (curtains, lights, TV's) were controlled by Cestron touch screen controls. This one was in the bathroom, but there were two wireless ones as well.

22543_290306382362_607652362_4621631_322488_n.jpg.e668805cf3a774bcb354a3cc1d98a85a.jpg

...a touchscreen control FOR THE SHOWER.

19367_274986939586_519964586_3312456_452482_n.jpg.58d21180264c0fae96d82a02548455c1.jpg

...With yet another TV in the mirror, and...

19367_274986734586_519964586_3312450_6013357_n.jpg.559947bf3c2f233ff1a015e30684f028.jpg

Bathroom with tub and giant walk in shower...

19367_274986689586_519964586_3312449_5160054_n.jpg.3f98f73fe1e5e24c4779cd2ceff66967.jpg

The bedroom. Ridiculously comfortable bed. Not pictured: another 52 inch TV w/ bluray, cable, and direct TV.

19367_274986829586_519964586_3312453_3082780_n.jpg.0aea53653503f03edc29d6d489202a68.jpg

The other half of the living room. A 4 person dining room table and another TV. Apparently the "penthouse" version of this suite has three TV's on that wall!

19367_274986799586_519964586_3312452_5576807_n.jpg.1e7d1b29983e81eb1f512881ff9600ed.jpg

Part of the living room. 52 inch TV with cable, direct TV, and a blu ray player. And a ridiculously comfortable couch.

19367_274986639586_519964586_3312448_6318214_n.jpg.d2c6cccb96a3543d5d67744eeeceebc6.jpg

Hotel 32 has two elevators labeled as being for the hotel. Problem is you rarely got to use those specific elevators because all 6 of the elevators on that bank go up to the 32nd floor (key access only)

Tacos & Tequila @ Luxor is a bad rip off of Pink Taco

It's quite hard to beat a restaurant whose slogan is "Eating out never tasted so good."

If any of you have kids to take to Vegas, (ah, who am I kidding?) I enjoyed this Mexican food restaurant in the Venetian. I forgot its name, but the food was pretty good, and it's right on the fake canal which gives it this strange, but cool ambiance. Although I do remember the service being pretty bad. Who knows? Maybe my family just went on a bad day.

i'm heading to vegas for the first time in march for the opening leg of my honeymoon. We're only staying for 2 days before going out to hawaii, but i've got a super bowl bet i'm hoping to cash in, which will make the trip that much sweeter. I'll probably post back here with some questions once it gets closer

I'm looking forward to going back out to Vegas sometime this year. Hopefully my parents will come along as well to help watch KT as I have not had a 'proper' Vegas visit in some time now!

I'm more into the food, walking around the resorts, and staying somewhere nice than the clubs and drinking, but I still get a kick out of seeing all you 'youngins' clubbing!

I've been wanting to try a lot of the different restaurants like Brand and Nobu. I normally don't go to the "trendy" restaurants. I go to a lot of the buffets. I highly recommend the buffet at the Belagio. It's great quality food, and it's cheaper than the one at Rio. I also enjoyed the buffet at the Flamingo. Also Paris has this little cafe, I forgot the name of it, but the food is good.

I'm toying with the idea of going in June or July to celebrate a late 30th birthday. If I do end up going, I'd like to have a nice dinner at Brand or somewhere else. I know the trendier restaurants are a bit pricey, but if I get good food out of it, I don't mind paying.