TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Pronunciations of unusual park and coaster names

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 years later...

Digging this up instead of starting a new one.

^Maurer Söhne. Söhne, tranlated = "Sons". First word is very close to "Mauer" - like "Mao-er" (like Chinese dude) - except with a slight "rr" at the end of first syllable, so more like "Mao®-er". And then something like "sone-ah" but really more like "zone-ah" and actually with a bit of "T" in there, so like "tzone-ah". And really the "o" is a little funny too, more like "ooh" or "ooh®" If you screw your throat all up and stick it forward it helps a lot. This is just coming from high school German and a couple years in Austria, I never actually heard anyone pronounce it as the company name.

Canobie - Just like canopy, but the p becomes a b. CAN-uh-bee. Not Kah-no-bee like Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Del Grosso's - Gross is said just like "gross" - starting with emphasized GROW, not GRAH

Kemah Boardwalk - Key-muh

Liseberg - Liss-ah-berg

Krake - krah-kah, vagely like cracker but far more European. Again, screw up the throat.

Tusenfryd - little help here? Toosen-fried? Tussen-freed? Toosen-freed? Tussen-fried? Tuh-senfree-d? I vote #3.

• 4 weeks later...
Being from SoCal, I've always wondered how to pronounce Knoebels.

Is it "Kah-no-bowls" or "No-bells"

In other words, do you pronounce the "k"?

Having just been thru Pennsylvania this year, and spending several days there, I can help!

it's Kah-No-Bells