Joey's Ongoing Sporting Event Photo TR Thread

Update Pg. 21: Amalie arena
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Games, links, news, movies, WHATEVER!!! As long as it's not TOO dirty!
New to the TPR Forums? Come say hello and introduce yourself HERE!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Joey's Ongoing Sporting Event Photo TR Thread

Postby jray21 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:49 pm

Great report of my home stadium! I have so many memories from that stadium. It was such an awesome stadium back in the heyday of the A's. Mount Davis was such a terrible addition, and such a waste. I'm really looking forward to a new stadium for the A's, if they can ever figure one out.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:11 am

jray21 wrote:Great report of my home stadium! I have so many memories from that stadium. It was such an awesome stadium back in the heyday of the A's. Mount Davis was such a terrible addition, and such a waste. I'm really looking forward to a new stadium for the A's, if they can ever figure one out.

If it happens, the art for the stadium looks real cool. And they'd redevelop the site of the coliseum, keeping the baseball diamond as a public park while re-purposing Oracle Arena into a concert only venue (like the Forum in LA).

Where they get the cash for that and overcome the crappy infrastructure (bad location for traffic & BART station about a mile away) of the Howard Terminal site I do not know...

I hope this is all not just a ploy to say "see, we tried" and ship the team off to a city desperate for a team like Montreal. There's even rumors of a private company buying the Rio in Vegas for an MLB stadium...

Postby coasterbill » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:44 am

Great photos. That place always seemed like the biggest shithole in sports ever since the Vet closed down. :lol:

Postby Jew » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:29 pm

coasterbill wrote:Great photos. That place always seemed like the biggest shithole in sports ever since the Vet closed down. :lol:

Never made it to the vet, so my only other experience with multi purpose stadiums was San Diego. Went to one baseball game there as a kid and multiple Holiday Bowls...I will be glad when that era of stadiums officially ends. Though cities did have the right idea back then, only getting ripped off once by pro teams instead of multiple times.

Side note: San Diego deserves a team. Great city. We don't want the Chargers here anyways.

Oakland will be paying $25 mil/year for "Mt. Davis" until 2025. You will be paying for the Raiders stadium anytime you visit Vegas in the form of increased hotel tax, and Vegas is banking on there not being a recession so they collect enough cash from that to service the $645 million in bonds they issued...
Last edited by Jew on Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:30 pm.

Postby coasterbill » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:07 pm

It's absolutely amazing to me that cities are so willing to fork over money for stadiums and that they continue to fall for the "just increase the hotel taxes so it's paid for by tourists and not locals" line. It's honestly refreshing when cities tell sports teams to piss off but those instances are few and far between.

On that note: Keep up the good work, Anaheim. :lol:

Postby Jew » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:17 am

coasterbill wrote:It's absolutely amazing to me that cities are so willing to fork over money for stadiums and that they continue to fall for the "just increase the hotel taxes so it's paid for by tourists and not locals" line. It's honestly refreshing when cities tell sports teams to piss off but those instances are few and far between.

On that note: Keep up the good work, Anaheim. :lol:

I don’t believe cities should contribute anything more than un-used land, a quick permitting process, and perhaps a reasonable tax break. When cities get into the business of owning the stadium and renting back to a teamor issuing a large amount of bonds, they always lose.

Postby Jew » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:28 pm

It’s alive! Starting my coaster/sports travels in 2019 with Amalie arena in Tampa bay. It just so happened that the kings (lose for Hughes!!!) were in town on my days off from work, so why not an Orlando weekend?

Definitely a nice hockey building. In the heart of the city, but easy and cheap parking.
45A353D2-FCFD-4252-8971-378312FAA7AC.jpeg
Obligatory exterior shot
B8139647-9393-44D0-9319-BE160EE961C2.jpeg
They have a large courtyard outside for pregame festivities and sponsor activations. What I loved is they opened up their team office lobby to have somewhere inside to wait for doors in the Florida heat.
1DE0DD95-1583-483F-B927-FDE0A53B3F73.jpeg
He was good at hockey and bringing hockey to Tampa bay.
070F01F3-2786-4B6C-936F-D6E887DF6EE5.jpeg
Concourse inside was wide with plenty of tables for food...
EC886E63-429E-4027-8A00-D54D6EE30742.jpeg
That also had charging stations. Should be a requirement in all sports venues at this point.
BC1F54DE-7498-49A6-80F4-8FAC0D7FB3CF.jpeg
Also had a trophy case that displayed the “team sized” (mini) versions of all the teams awards. They have fared much better than my kings had as an expansion team
3431AC43-0AE2-4A06-A2E9-F63DB97AA4E3.jpeg
One knock on the building: beer prices are insane. I thought dodger stadium was bad, and this matches them.
D575D245-458D-4FDA-B9E1-749EAA0A6507.jpeg
Fantastic scoreboard. I like this style more than the round ones. Giant too.
C6FF4092-EDBA-4A1F-A831-AE2474EA07D9.jpeg
My seats were not terrible. A bargain at $200 because...
C64DEA08-DD68-414D-9A23-4190CDF00B96.jpeg
...you have accesss to two clubs that offer all you can eat and drink (booze included). This one is the chase club.
44178DED-F46F-452D-8499-810F6E440A1B.jpeg
This one is on the event level (Lexus club.). Beer was Heineken and cocktails well quality booze, but still worth the price.
383BD95A-EA08-4DBD-83F5-43220BAA06B7.jpeg
Bar in Lexus club. Very bare, but all included!
975EC458-55B9-435F-9728-2D7F4D112DA7.jpeg
It’s also obligatory that NHL teams have some sort of lighting package for intermissions ending.
8B461671-F181-4E5D-A9C3-3A71D42110F4.jpeg
I never got a good photo of it in action, but the building has two telsa coils as part of intermission show package
F2F66FCD-FC75-47F7-8742-2EFFF7DBFFE8.jpeg
One other thing I enjoyed is having the organist be a feature of the arena with a deck fans can hang out on.
Last edited by Jew on Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:33 pm.

Postby Hilltopper39 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:53 am

I've always been impressed with Amelie when I've been for concerts,wrestling, basketball and other events but have never been to a Hockey Game there. I'll have to get to a hockey game there sometime.

Postby Jew » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:56 am

Hilltopper39 wrote:I've always been impressed with Amelie when I've been for concerts,wrestling, basketball and other events but have never been to a Hockey Game there. I'll have to get to a hockey game there sometime.

Splurge on those glass seats! Totally worth it.

Previous

Return to Random, Random, Random