Joey's Ongoing Sporting Event Photo TR Thread

Update Pg. 21: Amalie arena
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Games, links, news, movies, WHATEVER!!! As long as it's not TOO dirty!
New to the TPR Forums? Come say hello and introduce yourself HERE!
the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Re: Joey's Ongoing Sporting Event Photo TR Thread

Postby DanM64 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:35 am

This is an awesome thread! Thanks for sharing.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:34 pm

It's alive! I suppose with this years college football season underway I should finally get around to doing my next Photo TR: the Las Vegas Bowl. Say what you will about USC, but despite the worst NCAA sanctions ever and a revolving door of head coaches last season...they still never finished below .500. Last season culminated with a dominating performance in the Las Vegas Bowl, which is conveniently just a 4 hour drive from LA...

The stadium itself is very bare minimum. Probably all UNLV needs, but really the best way to describe it is an overgrown high school stadium. There's nothing special about it at all.

Soon I should also have a report from an Angel's game last season as well. Just have to get those photos off my old phone.
Vegas1.jpg
Welcome to Sam Boyd Stadium....located about 20 minutes away from the strip
Vegas2.jpg
For the Vegas Bowl, across the street in a park they had all the sponsors set up trying to sell you stuff...it wasn't that exciting.
Vegas3.jpg
Here's what the concourses look like. Very minimal. Almost like an overgrown high school stadium.
Vegas4.jpg
The fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo rooms...again, very bare minimum.
photo-14.JPG
An overview of most of the stadium. Press box/suites on one side only.
photo-13.JPG
No bowl game would be complete without giant American flag and a flyover (since the stadium is close to Nellis AFB)
photo-12.JPG
The scoreboard. Very crappy video board. Good thing all I needed to see was the final score! The tent below was set up as "on field suites."
Last edited by Jew on Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:38 pm.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby jray21 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:48 pm

That stadium looks on par with Reno's, and that's definitely not a good thing. ;)

Jason X versus the Robot Space Donkey!

Postby x2isawesome » Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:00 pm

I've been to a few games there over the years and overgrown high school stadium describes it about right.

Postby Jew » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:41 am

Figured now is as good a time as ever to bring some new life into this thread!

When I visited Orlando back in November, it just so happened to coincide with the Laker's visit to Orlando as well. It was bittersweet, since Kobe didn't play and the Lakers lost (one of many....), but a Trojan won the game on a buzzer beater!

It's a nice arena with what seemed like great sightlines and all the bells and whistles you would expect from a new arena. It also has a giant attached parking garage, which is convenient but not so fun to exit out of.
IMG_2483.jpg
Here's the concourse. Nice and Spacious, as you would expect for a new arena
IMG_2484.jpg
An overview of the building...didn't really seem like there was a bad seat in the house
IMG_2492.jpg
A map of all the levels
IMG_2496.jpg
A neat little display on the arena's construction
IMG_2489.jpg
Protip: buy a cheap ticket and use the orlando magic app to upgrade to the ultimate lounge on the event level because...
IMG_2490.jpg
...you get a delicious all you can eat buffet AND all you can drink (alcohol included)...
IMG_2488.jpg
...Can stand at the fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo room tunnel and high 5 players....
IMG_2495.jpg
,,,And slide right into an empty courtside seat without anyone saying a word (Like Kobe, who sat this one out)...
IMG_2494.jpg
...Where you can get great views of one of the best center's in the league (who happens to be a USC alum), and all the other players too I suppose.
IMG_2491.jpg
As a Laker fan, I always have to close by making a joke about teams having more banners than the Clippers...
Last edited by Jew on Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:44 am.

Postby jray21 » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:20 am

Great report! That's an awesome upgrade, especially with the nice seats they left empty for you! ;)

Postby Hilltopper39 » Sat May 14, 2016 8:19 pm

I went to NCAA an regional and a concert at Amway and it's a pretty nice arena, can't imagine there is anything much nicer out there anywhere.

Joey you goin to the USA/Bama game in Jerry World in September?

Postby Jew » Tue May 17, 2016 1:52 am

^Of course. It's a birthday gift to myself!

And also a perfect transition to my next TR: the Pac-12 championship game at Levi Stadium. It's basically met life stadium with open corners. I can't imagine it being a great home field advantage. Very corporate, with the best fan amenity being that they were nice enough to build all the suites on one side so the upper deck isn't in a different stratosphere. Oh, and really good WiFi. Security checkpoints were also ridiculously slow moving, so the stadium was half empty at kick off. There is at least a VTA train stop too, so we parked for free and took the train.
IMG_2857.jpg
...Here's the aforementioned suite tower from the outside. Every level of it had a corporate sponsor.
IMG_2859.jpg
...It felt like every seating section also had a sponsorship
IMG_2860.jpg
View of the stadium from our section. Stanford fans don't really care about football, so they were ridiculously cheap on stub hub
IMG_2862.jpg
The suite tower from the inside.
IMG_2863.jpg
The stadium did have great video boards on both sides
IMG_2866.jpg
Plazas on each open corner.
IMG_2869.jpg
The escalators had historical photos above them. That was kind of cool.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby Wily J » Wed May 18, 2016 11:02 am

As a life-long Trojan fan, I appreciate you posting the pics without mentioning the actual game. :( :x

Fight on!

Postby Hilltopper39 » Wed May 18, 2016 11:18 am

Yeah Levis Stadium has never really been that impressive to me on tv or in pictures, but I do like the "suite tower" concept. It will be interesting to see how these new wave of next generation NFL stadiums compare when finished but I got a feeling when it's all said and done S.F. is gonna rank WAY below Atlanta, Minnesota, Dallas, and LA.

I can't imagine it being a great home field advantage

Is there really such a thing as great home field advantage in the NFL anymore outside of maybe Green Bay and Seattle? I feel like that's one of those things that has been diminished over the years with the in helmet radios and other aspects of the game. I mean I'm sure statistically some teams win a higher percentage of game they play at home than they lose but I bet on average that percentage is lower than you wold expect, like probably closer to a 50-60% home winning percentage than an 80%+ percentage.

PreviousNext

Return to Random, Random, Random