TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

What book are you reading.

voodoobones

I did a search and I found one thread that was titled the same but it was locked. Someone had post a link to a thread called, "What Books Do You Read?" which is a totally different topic. Basically they were asking what type of books you are interested in where as this thread is about what book you are currently reading. Unfortunately the original thread about what book you are reading was locked

So I thought I would start it back up.

Currently I am reading, "The Master and Margarita" by Mikhail Bulgakov.

This is actually the second time I have read it. The first time I had decided to read it after I found out that Mick Jagger had based his song, "Sympathy for the devil" off of the book after he had read it. It is really an entertaining book but the ending has a few problems. I think it is because Bulgakov died before the book was published.

So if you're looking for a good book to read then try, "The Master and Margarita" by Mikhail Bulgakov.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great suggestions everybody!

My wife is always looking for new books to read as well so this thread will make me seem somewhat intelligent to her.

Krakenking: I haven't read the Kite Runner but my wife has. She said it was a really good book but it was difficult to read because of the things that took place in it. Is "A Thousand Splendid Suns" just as heavy or is it a little bit lighter to read?

I finished reading "The Master and Margarita". Excellent book.

Now I am reading, "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins. It is a book written by an atheist about religion.

So far I am really liking it. I have had several people recommend it. Some have said that it is too heavy handed and I can see how that can be perceived. At times it gets a bit too "scientific". Overall though it is very interesting.

If you have strong beliefs one way or the other you are either going to love it or hate it. If you are in the middle you will probably find it interesting.

Currently I'm reading "Running for my life" by Warrick Dunn. For the non football fans out there, he plays for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Anyway, it's about his life and how he raised his family after his mom was murdered during his senior year in high school. Really great and inspirational book that I'd recomend for anyone.

i just finished "shadow of the wind" by carlos ruiz zafon.

From Publishers Weekly:

Ruiz Zafón's novel, a bestseller in his native Spain, takes the satanic touches from Angel Heart and stirs them into a bookish intrigue à la Foucault's Pendulum. The time is the 1950s; the place, Barcelona. Daniel Sempere, the son of a widowed bookstore owner, is 10 when he discovers a novel, The Shadow of the Wind, by Julián Carax. The novel is rare, the author obscure, and rumors tell of a horribly disfigured man who has been burning every copy he can find of Carax's novels. The man calls himself Laín Coubert-the name of the devil in one of Carax's novels. As he grows up, Daniel's fascination with the mysterious Carax links him to a blind femme fatale with a "porcelain gaze," Clara Barceló; another fan, a leftist jack-of-all-trades, Fermín Romero de Torres; his best friend's sister, the delectable Beatriz Aguilar; and, as he begins investigating the life and death of Carax, a cast of characters with secrets to hide. Officially, Carax's dead body was dumped in an alley in 1936. But discrepancies in this story surface. Meanwhile, Daniel and Fermín are being harried by a sadistic policeman, Carax's childhood friend. As Daniel's quest continues, frightening parallels between his own life and Carax's begin to emerge. Ruiz Zafón strives for a literary tone, and no scene goes by without its complement of florid, cute and inexact similes and metaphors (snow is "God's dandruff"; servants obey orders with "the efficiency and submissiveness of a body of well-trained insects"). Yet the colorful cast of characters, the gothic turns and the straining for effect only give the book the feel of para-literature or the Hollywood version of a great 19th-century novel.

Now I am reading, "The God Delusion" by Richard Dawkins. It is a book written by an atheist about religion.

So far I am really liking it. I have had several people recommend it. Some have said that it is too heavy handed and I can see how that can be perceived. At times it gets a bit too "scientific". Overall though it is very interesting.

If you have strong beliefs one way or the other you are either going to love it or hate it. If you are in the middle you will probably find it interesting.

I started this book, but never finished it. It was a pretty decent read, but for me it was just a giant case of preaching to the choir. I'm told that the evolutionary biology books that Dawkins wrote, like "The Selfish Gene" and "The Blind Watchmaker", are much better as Dawkins is a biologist by trade.

Right now I'm just reading various Sherlock Holmes short stories. I'm quite a fan of these, but knowing most of the endings does lessen the experience a bit.

I am currently reading "The Kite Runner." Which is an AMAZING book, it's just one of those awesome books that I can't put down.

And for a suggestion for a book to read I suggest "Drums, Girls, And Dangerous Pie." By Jordan Sonnenblick. It's more of a 7th-8th grade reading level, and it's really easy to read but it is one of the most emotional and amazing stories I have ever read. I really suggest this book.