Cirque Du soleil

anyone see any of there shows?
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Games, links, news, movies, WHATEVER!!! As long as it's not TOO dirty!
New to the TPR Forums? Come say hello and introduce yourself HERE!
BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Re: Cirque Du soleil

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:45 pm

Cirque du Soleil - (1/18/13) As successful as Cirque du Soleil has been in the past, especially in the Las Vegas market, have they finally reached the saturation point? Have they simply opened too many shows, or is it a mix of too many shows with a struggling global economy? Either way the company has announced that they will layoff 400 workers from their global operations due to sagging profits.
Over the 13 months, we’ve seen Cirque forced to close ZED at the Tokyo Disney Resort at the end of 2011, and Viva Elvis close in Las Vegas in August 2012. This Saturday will also mark the closing of their Iris show in Hollywood. With seven active shows in Las Vegas, one of which just opened (Zarkana at Aria), and the new Michael Jackson themed show opening in about 12 months, will we see Cirque forced to close yet another show or two over the next year? - Screamscape

Found this just posted. :( Also found out most of the layoffs will be in Montreal at the home office.
But still, sad to find out. And again - I am So Glad I got to see ZED, before it shuttered.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Moose » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:36 am

It seems like they just had too many shows going on at once. They diluted the market to unsustainable levels.

Postby Philrad71 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:28 am

We went to see Love when we were in Vegas last year & it was definitely the best staged show performance that I have ever seen. I can't even really put into words at how awesome it was...of course it helps when you are a huge fan of the Beatles too! ;)

Would love to be able to get to more of their shows in Vegas, but it looks like it's not on our list of places to go this year.

I certainly hope that they incorporate more of these cirque-type of shows into theme parks.I really enjoyed the one at Canada's Wonderland during the Levi bash and being able to do a Q&A sessions with them afterwards was an awesome bonus! I will be most interested to hear the reviews about the one coming to SFDK.

I Guess Donkeys Are Okay

Postby CaliforniaChica » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:06 pm

I have seen a lot of Cirque shows, but my favorite by far is LOVE. Whenever I go to Vegas I see two shows, LOVE and whatever other show has good seats left for when I'm there. I've seen KA, Zumanity, LOVE, Viva Elvis and Michael Jackson: The Immortal World Tour when is was at the Staples Center. I wanted to see Iris, but sadly I couldn't find anyone to go with me. I'll admit, I've seen LOVE 10 times, it's the perfect blend of two of my favorite things The Beatles and Cirque.

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:29 am

Nrthwnd wrote:
Cirque du Soleil - (1/18/13) As successful as Cirque du Soleil has been in the past, especially in the Las Vegas market, have they finally reached the saturation point? Have they simply opened too many shows, or is it a mix of too many shows with a struggling global economy? Either way the company has announced that they will layoff 400 workers from their global operations due to sagging profits.
Over the 13 months, we’ve seen Cirque forced to close ZED at the Tokyo Disney Resort at the end of 2011, and Viva Elvis close in Las Vegas in August 2012. This Saturday will also mark the closing of their Iris show in Hollywood. With seven active shows in Las Vegas, one of which just opened (Zarkana at Aria), and the new Michael Jackson themed show opening in about 12 months, will we see Cirque forced to close yet another show or two over the next year? - Screamscape

Found this just posted. :( Also found out most of the layoffs will be in Montreal at the home office.
But still, sad to find out. And again - I am So Glad I got to see ZED, before it shuttered.

That's the typical "ebb and flow" pattern of any growing company. They grew at a rapid pace, so I'm sure they had a lot of "fluff" on their payroll as they expected to keep growing at a rapid pace. Of course, rarely does that ever happen in the business world---so now they have to cut the "extra fat" in the company to get back to what their actual operational needs are. Can't be perfect forever.

Iris failed because of the price and location---Los Angeles is never a good place for a residency of any show. Not enough locals are interested in paying the high price for a ticket and having to deal with traffic/parking associated with Hollywood. They ended up having to run a groupon deal the last few months. If Iris was only a limited run, I'm sure it would have sold out. The Immortal World Tour at Staples Center sold out (or came very close to it) for every show.

ZED I'm sure was the same thing---just misread the market. I'm sure executives and Cirque and OLC saw the success of La Nouba and said "we want a cooler one" without really thinking things through.

Postby jray21 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:01 pm

I was really surprised by ZED. I thought they would eat it up. I guess not though! I really like Cirque du Soleil and hope this helps strengthen their operations and be more efficient. I'm going to see their movie tomorrow. Seems a little odd to have them make a movie again. It's not getting the best reviews, but we'll see.

Postby ernierocker » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:04 pm

Still have only seen Mystere. That needs to change soon!

The only thing better than a naked woman is a naked donkey!

Postby chemical_echo » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:08 am

I've now seen:
Mystere (2nd row, had my head taped to the guy next to me when we both tried to turn around and see what the clown was doing a row behind us)
Viva Elvis
Zumanity
La Reve (not Cirque, but close enough. Would love to see it again though; we saw it the day we flew in during the later showing so I started dozing off from jet lag)

Antonio Drum Master

Postby CoasterCrazy88 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:33 am

Ah, Cirque Du Soleil!

I saw Ovo in Santa Monica, and I was quite letdown.
I saw Iris at the Kodak Theater when it first opened, and it blew me away. I then saw it again a year later. After that, saw it two more times within 6 months, including its final showing ever. I absolutely loved that show.

I really want to see O at the Bellagio next. Hopefully this summer!

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby azza29 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:16 pm

^Ovo is playing in Melbourne at the moment, and I'd agree it's not up to their usual standard. The acrobatics remain stunning but almost too perfect - there's no suspense in the performance. Maybe Cirque has jumped the shark - so many shows playing in so many locations around the world that they're struggling to keep it fresh.

PreviousNext

Return to Random, Random, Random