TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Worst Injury You've Had?

EuroTre

^I dunno, but I never even touched the tip of the iceberg with my athletic abilities. I found out later in college I was a great athlete. I swam and did lots of other stuff, but if I could go back I'd probably go for football, or even better, hockey. Guess I was too busy being a coaster nerd!

It may have something to do with the thrill of the sport - and how that relates to the thrill of coasters.

The thrill aspect makes sense.. There's always that nervous moment before a big match, or before the gun goes off before a race, where all the nticipation builds, and at the same time, it's exhilarating to watch and partake in... Sorta like approaching the first drop/launch on a coaster... He'll, sports even have diehard followers, like us coasterboys here on TPR... Except there's WAY more sports diehards than coaster fanboys lol. Guess nerds & Jocks, & those in between, have more in comon than I thought.

As for the injuries, the worst I had recently was when I swung @ somebody, messing around & pretending to punch them... Unfortunately, they flinched, & I missed, punching a table & breaking my wrist

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrapped my car around a tree in January of 2012 and fractured at least six transverse processes, four or five ribs, and my right scapula, as well as lacerating four organs and receiving a pneumothorax, in addition to several massive hematomas that took months to break up and a particularly nasty concussion that left me with severe memory problems. The only cosmetic effects were a chipped incisor that I haven't bothered to get mended and a scar from a laceration on my forehead. Needless to say, however, the internal effects were far worse, seeing as how I now have a horrible back that is probably going to give me problems for the rest of my life.

• 1 month later...

My worst and only major injury was Freshman year high school. In gym we had to play a game called River Across. The object is that you have a styrofoam pipe, and you have to run across a field without someone taking it, and the people who take it are prechosen and stand at the middle of the field. If yours is caught, you have to get other people's. Well I tried to dodge someone and I twisted my knee and I felt and heard a pop in my knee and I found out a month later via MRI I tore my ACL. Before the MRI, I thought I had just pulled a muscle and I still did gym for a month without knowing my ACL was torn.

I have been pretty lucky over the span of 22 years. However, my worst injury is coaster-related as coincidental as it seems. On the first Saturday of this past May I threw out my back pulling out corn bags from the Ravine Flyer II trains at Waldameer. The initial discomfort just felt like I just shoved a whole bunch of heavy snow, I figured it would subside quickly. I even took the first front row ride since 2012 before the real pain hit, as we literally just re-installed the seats. Then, I tried to sit down at the control panel to continue testing and basically missed the seat I was in so much pain. I was out of commission for two days. I dragged myself back to work on Monday for worker orientation, and I was back to manual labor prepping the park for opening day within three days of the injury.

Always lift with your legs! However, the angle of lifting corn bags out of PTC trains on a brake run doesn't help very much!

Some TPR members might remember my story... At a trampoline place I bounced off the wall and when I landed I twisted my knee. I tore my ACL and meniscus, and had fractures on my tibia and fibula. Couldn't really walk well for a month. Then after surgery I had to use crutches for a month. But I healed up good (took almost a year though).

• 2 months later...

^As someone who watches hockey religiously, I know all about how serious concussions can be. I've seen careers ended, players who were out for a while and could never play the same after coming back, and they're so tricky because there's no possible way of knowing how long they can take to get better. One player got a concussion and was expected to miss a week, he missed more a full calender year. I've seen players knocked clean out, and taken off on a stretcher completely motionless. They can be absolutely horrifying if they're really serious. There are retired players who have permanent brain damage. If you don't mind me asking, how did you get yours?

Being stupid. A band was playing in Louisville during my favorite song I jumped on stage and did the opening of the song with the singer. Did a stage dive. Rolled over the the people up front and was dopped on my head when a circle pit opened up.

• 4 months later...

I've never had any REALLY bad stuff happen to me. They worst was probably splitting my head open and having to go to the hospital when I was 3. I remember the seconds leading up to that. My poor Granny was in shock and so was my Mom. I still have, like a scar, sort of thing on my forehead.

I haven't majorly injured anything, but I have foot joint issues. I can't tell you how many times I've had to pop a dislocated toe joint back into place. My favorite memory of that is after riding Batman at SFOG. Had two dislocated toe joints after getting off, in the same foot.

I got the top of my little finger chopped off in a car door, but thankfully I can't remember that due to being 3 years old at the time. It was glued back on. The worst I can remember was getting bitten on the leg by a stray Alsatian in Ibiza when I was about 9 or 10; only one tooth broke flesh but it went about halfway through my leg as I was a scrawny kid. Didn't go near dogs for years after that!