Movies, Movies, Movies.....

P. 594 - The Lion King Review!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 3 guests
Games, links, news, movies, WHATEVER!!! As long as it's not TOO dirty!
New to the TPR Forums? Come say hello and introduce yourself HERE!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Movies, Movies, Movies.....

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:28 pm

Wow, that's quite a move. Eh, I hardly ever go to the AMC in town anyway. They used to be the nicest when they were new, but Alamo makes it hard for me to spend my money anywhere else on those few occasions I do get to go to a theatre.

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby tinaalsgirl » Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:02 pm

Oh man, I can't wait to finally be able to try out an Alamo. I've heard so many great things about them.

In other movie news, I finally saw the movie "Idiocracy" after seeing references to it all over DailyKos comments the last few weeks.

Woooowww. Yeah, I can see why people are referencing this movie right now. Also, I really enjoyed it.The r- and f-slurs were a big cringy, but considering the context in which they were used, and also acknowledging this movie is 15 years old, it didn't hurt too bad.

But what was nice was that the comedy was... relatively clean outside of the fart/etc jokes. Like, the script never made fun of Rita's choice of profession; they only made fun of Joe and his assumption that she's an artist. It was refreshing, honestly.

Anyway, enjoyed the movie, but kinda scared now that I understand all the references people have been making to it...

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:31 pm

We watched The Devil Wears Prada last night. Still a brilliant Meryl Streep film.
Anne Hathaway and Emily Blunt hold their respective own, too. And Stanley Tucci is
always fun to watch, as his character(s) usually evolve, too.

And the whole fashion scene (probably true to the 'art-form') is just nuts! :lmao:
DevilPrada.jpg
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri May 01, 2020 7:12 pm

tinaalsgirl wrote:Oh man, I can't wait to finally be able to try out an Alamo. I've heard so many great things about them.

In other movie news, I finally saw the movie "Idiocracy" after seeing references to it all over DailyKos comments the last few weeks.

Woooowww. Yeah, I can see why people are referencing this movie right now. Also, I really enjoyed it.The r- and f-slurs were a big cringy, but considering the context in which they were used, and also acknowledging this movie is 15 years old, it didn't hurt too bad.

But what was nice was that the comedy was... relatively clean outside of the fart/etc jokes. Like, the script never made fun of Rita's choice of profession; they only made fun of Joe and his assumption that she's an artist. It was refreshing, honestly.

Anyway, enjoyed the movie, but kinda scared now that I understand all the references people have been making to it...

Yeah it's not mean spirited at all, and pretty open minded too. I agree with every point you've made.

Not sure quite where in MO you are, but right now Missouri has two Alamos, one in downtown KC on Main St. in the Power & Light district and the other in Springfield on South Campbell Ave. (Hwy 160, a couple miles south of Bass Pro). There's a third going into St. Louis in the City Foundry development that's supposed to open this year. It's near SLU close to Ikea. Great location, hope it does open this year.

I've been to both Missouri Alamos are they're spectacular. It's service to the max. You'll love it.

Postby tinaalsgirl » Sat May 02, 2020 4:04 pm

If I'm lucky, I'll be back living in the KC area by the end of this year. Fingers crossed.

I actually went several times to the cinema in Springfield that the Alamo took over, but sadly had already left the area when Alamo came in (I lived in Spfld 2009-2013; went to MSU). I was so glad when I heard they kept the mural of the horses on the backside of the building; I love that mural!

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Sat May 02, 2020 9:41 pm

Oh yeah, the old Wehrenberg Campbell 16... Let's just say I don't miss it. The mural is great though, glad Springfield has invested in public art over the years.

Good luck in KC!

Postby tinaalsgirl » Sat May 02, 2020 11:30 pm

Only thing I miss about Wehrenberg is the catchy jingle; I spent most of my movie-going time at the Regal downtown... it was within both walking distance, or if I was lazy, also close to the campus shuttle route.

The other catchy ad I remember from movie-going down there was the Cox Health F.A.S.T. Stroke ad they would play that, well, I just managed to find it on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IHNb_ZD0E8

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu May 21, 2020 6:16 pm

We're doing Movie Nights on Wed. and Sunday evenings. And they consist of movie series that we can binge on, one after the other. And they are DVDs that we own. Not renting like we usually do. We just finished the Harry Potter series. Now we're watching The Hobbit films, followed of course, by the Lord of The R-ings films. In the order they were supposed to be watched. :wink: We may tackle the Star Wars films, but not yet. So that's what we're now doing, in regards to movies. Ones that we've collected...and neglected over the years.
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Postby tinaalsgirl » Thu May 21, 2020 6:31 pm

I got a free movie rental from Redbox for my birthday, so my mom and I finally got to see Dolittle. I can see and understand some of the negativity towards the movie, but overall, I really enjoyed it! Of course, I am very easily entertained and even with movies like this where there are admittable issues... I'm pretty good at acknowledging that and then pushing it aside so I can just enjoy the good parts.

Am I allowed to eat donkey during lent?

Postby CaptainUnknown » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:42 pm

Just casually rewatching the first Brendan Fraser Mummy movie and the cold open/opening narration/backstory mentions that the curse placed on Imhotep while being unspeakably horrible now, would turn him into an all-powerful demigod with ambitions of world conquest/destruction should someone be stupid enough to awaken him.

Maybe they should have not cast that curse...

and just given Brendan Fraser his coffee :p
Take a Journey Into The Unknown Latest Update: Six Flags Over Texas

Parks: 23
Coasters: 130 (24 wood/106 steel)

Previous

Return to Random, Random, Random