Movies, Movies, Movies.....

P. 594 - The Lion King Review!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 4 guests
Games, links, news, movies, WHATEVER!!! As long as it's not TOO dirty!
New to the TPR Forums? Come say hello and introduce yourself HERE!
BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Re: Movies, Movies, Movies.....

Postby Nrthwnd » Thu May 23, 2019 9:49 pm

And now they're starting to make additional live action films, following their original live version (hello Maleficent?). Now I hear there's another version of "101 Dalmatians" coming, in the near future.

But.... didn't they do it with Glenn Close already? :?r

P.S. Think what they do, with today's tech and such...for their original "Alice In Wonderland?" <drool>
wonderland.jpg
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I think Intamin should make a donkey!

Postby tinaalsgirl » Thu May 23, 2019 10:18 pm

So far, of the straight-up remakes of their older animated movies (so Burton's Alice doesn't count in this, as it's a continuation of sorts), my favorites have been Maleficent - which gave her a super interesting backstory and I'm excited for the sequel - and Cinderella, which was close enough to the original to feel familiar and homey, but different enough that they not only rounded out Ella's character, but they also gave life to Kit, the Prince.

I haven't seen Jungle Book yet. I, personally, like the Beauty & the Beast live-action film, but that's in addition to the original, not as a replacement or whatever.

After the trailers came out for Lion King, I found myself really uninterested in seeing it.... until Entertainment Weekly had a multi-page story about it and I finally realized that they really aren't making this movie to redo or add to the story like the others - its existence is pretty much because they wanted to try new things technologically. And now that I know that the entire film is CG (I had thought the scenery/environment was filmed and the characters added to it), and I've read about the really amazing VR tech they used to direct & film the movie.... I'm back to wanting to see it again. Also, they've got an amazing voice cast, so that'll be fun, too.

I'm excited about the "live-action" Lady & the Tramp that's coming to Disney+. Tessa Thompson AND Janelle Monae doing voices? YES PLEASE.

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Garet » Fri May 24, 2019 4:05 am

Nrthwnd wrote:And now they're starting to make additional live action films, following their original live version (hello Maleficent?). Now I hear there's another version of "101 Dalmatians" coming, in the near future.

I think it's supposed to be more focused on Cruella and a back story for her, basically what Maleficent was for Sleeping Beauty.

Postby tuxedomask5432 » Sat May 25, 2019 7:50 am

I just saw Disney’s Aladdin remake, and was pleasantly surprised! The dancing, costumes, and sets are really amazing. The computer animated Raja and Abu were excellent. The new original song for Jasmine to sing, called “Speechless” fit in well with the returning songs. It’s by far one of the best Disney remakes I’ve seen so far.

Postby tuxedomask5432 » Sat May 25, 2019 7:57 am

Waltrane wrote:I haven’t seen this yet (obviously) but point 3 is right on. The live action versions are getting out of hand and never as good as the original.

Perhaps these Remakes are doing exactly what Disney wants them to do. Give the audience a taste of the film they used to enjoy, or expose the younger generation who missed the original, in order to drum up DVD/Digital sales of the original movie.

With Disney+ on the horizon these films will supposedly be available on that platform as well. So they want to create as much demand as possible. While they have done this already, I’d like to see them remake some classic live action Disney films like “The Apple Dumpling Gang.”

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby michaellynn4 » Sat May 25, 2019 1:38 pm

robbalvey wrote:...but overall that punch, pizzazz, yahoo and how that the original movie had was missing here and at no point did I feel slack-jawed or buggy-eyed.

The only one of these movies that I've thoroughly enjoyed so far has been Jungle Book, and that's mostly due to Bill Murray's performance as Baloo. Since then, they all just fall into this "okay, but unnecessary" category where they either adhere way too closely to the original script and it just ends up being a weak imitation. I'm hoping Lion King ends up being different.
DFTBA: Don't Forget to be Awesome.
#1: Skyrush

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Sat May 25, 2019 5:59 pm

We're seeing Aladdin on Thursday, in IMAX and 3D, so I expect to be OD'd in colours, effects, and such.

And a big BIG Genie. lol! :wink:

Followed by a nice late afternoon meal, at the Old Spaghetti Factory, across the street! :b
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby bert425 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:35 pm

Saw "Godzilla: KoM" today.

(at Alamo Drafthouse Lakeline, in Austin. . and dressed appropriately, of course) :P

very good, tho the story needed a further tweak, as some character motivations just don't work.

the film also felt a wee bit too long

both of these minor issues could have been solved by cutting out the kid and her mom subplots . .but oh well, didn't distract too much, and visually the film is stunning.

the final battle in Boston is spectacular to look at.

(and there *is* a post credit stinger. . not much of one, but there is one, if you want to stay thru the credits).
IMG_7013.jpg
IMG_7015.jpg
IMG_7016.jpg
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

Can you see the donkey in my toast?

Postby Garet » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:41 pm

Has Godzilla been popular elsewhere? Was thinking of checking it out but it already left the theater near me after only a couple of days and even the big shopping mall in the city has just 1 showing at 10 PM. Sometimes films leave quick to make way for the Korean movies but only Parasite is airing and I can't remember the last time a big action movie left the theater this fast.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby bert425 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:18 pm

Garet wrote:Has Godzilla been popular elsewhere? Was thinking of checking it out but it already left the theater near me after only a couple of days and even the big shopping mall in the city has just 1 showing at 10 PM. Sometimes films leave quick to make way for the Korean movies but only Parasite is airing and I can't remember the last time a big action movie left the theater this fast.

the critics don't seem to care for it, but the Audience reviews have been good.

per Rotten Tomatoes:

275 critics rated it only 40% fresh

but

15,167 Audience members rated it: 85%
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

PreviousNext

Return to Random, Random, Random