TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Who still has/uses records

jbuck

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Probably the same people desperately holding onto their Tape Decks, VCR Tapes, and Rotary Dialed Phones.

Actually there is a large collectors market for vinyl records. You can definitely spend a small fortune for some quality titles. (Just watch the opening seen of the movie "The Rock" when Nicolas Cage receives a vinyl record in the mail, which he spent huge $$$ for)

I myself once owned many vinyl records, but they have been gone for a long time.....

~ ~ ~

I have a HUGE collection of original New York Broadway Cast Albums in LP form. I think it's nearly 400 records!

That said, we have a combo record player (in 33 1/3 AND 45 rpm, speeds!) and radio, so I'll probably hold onto everything till I absolutely have to part with it all..... Not everything is in CD form nowadays, heh heh.

Yeh, I own a record played. My dad has loads of old vinyls however I buy new ones. Since Christmas, when I first got the record player, I've been slowly building up my collection. It's just a shame that rock/metal vinyls are so hard to come by. My collection so far is:

Iron Maiden - Death On The Road LP

Hard-Fi - Stars Of CCTV LP

The Darkness - One Way Ticket To Hell And Back LP

Coldplay - X&Y LP

Black Sabbath - Sabbath Bloody Sabbath LP

Hard-Fi - Cash Machine 7"

Hard-Fi - Limited Edition Signed Better Do Better 7"

Hard-Fi - Limited Edition Signed Better Do Better Square 7"

Roadrunner United - The All Star Sessions LP

It's only a small collection but I'm slowly building it up.

I have a few:

- Weezer, Blue Album and Pinkerton

- Radiohead, Kid A

- Wilco, Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

- Neutral Milk Hotel, In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

- The Rapture, Echoes

- LCD Soundsystem, S/T

- Of Montreal, Satanic Panic and Sunlandic Twins

None of them have been played. Basically, I'm waiting til' I'm like three days away from dying and then blasting them as loud as humanly possible.

^

Great idea! Wish I'd thought of that.....

Hmmm. Rogers & Hammerstein BLASTING in the bedroom; Sondheim SCREAMING in the living room; and Lloyd Webber HOWLING in....the bathroom????

Well, somebody's gotta do it, huh?

EDIT To Add = And Stephen Schwartz (Wicked? Pippin?) in the kitchen!

Edited by Nrthwnd

I have a few... Beatles' Revolver and Sgt. Pepper's, ELO and Chicago for some reason, some random classical and S&G's Parsley, Rosemary, Sage, and whatever else we want to put in it.

ELO is awesome, I like Chicago too, good albums though...

I just recently got rid of my record player in my room, just because it was taking up too much room. Still got a few of my favorites up in my cabinet.

*gets down and lists*

A Hard Day's Night (US Soundtrack) - The Beatles

Abbey Road - The Beatles

All Things Must Pass - George Harrison

The Beatles (The White Album # A1444719)- The Beatles

The Beatles 1967 - 1970 (The Blue Album) - The Beatles

The Beatles Story - Various People

Cars (45 rpm 12 inch) - Gary Numan

Damn the Torpedoes - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Double Vision - Foreigner

The Early Beatles - The Beatles

Eliminator - ZZ Top

Fillmore: The Last Days - Various Artists

Green River - Creedence Clearwater Revival

Help! (US Soundtrack) - The Beatles

Imagine - John Lennon

Led Zeppelin I - Led Zeppelin

Let it Be - The Beatles

Magical Mystery Tour (With Booklet) - The Beatles

Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin

Revolver - The Beatles

Rock 'n' Roll Music - The Beatles

The Rock Album - Various Artists

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles

Surfin' U.S.A./The Warmth of the Sun - The Beach Boys

Toys in the Attic - Aerosmith

The Tra-La-La Song (One Banana, Two Banana) - The Banana Splits (Cartoon)

We Can Work it Out/Day Tripper - The Beatles

Yellow Submarine - The Beatles

Mostly albums, a few singles in there.

• 6 years later...

Didn't feel like starting a new thread, so I'm bringing this back (and I mean WAAAAAAY back) from the dead.

I started collecting records in October 2011, and in the last year and three months, I've managed to acquire almost 150 records, including 7" and 10" records. It's an expensive hobby (each new record typically costs between $12 and $30, and I also just spent $500 on a new turntable/receiver/speakers), but it's a lot of fun!

Anyone else?

^I imagine Athens is a great place to hunt for vinyl records although it might be quiet picked over by all the hipsters. Is School Kids still there? What about that store next to the 40 Watt? If you're ever in Nashville, we have some GREAT records stores here you should check out - namely Grimey's, which is probably the best record store in the southern US if not eastern half.

^I imagine Athens is a great place to hunt for vinyl records although it might be quiet picked over by all the hipsters. Is School Kids still there? What about that store next to the 40 Watt? If you're ever in Nashville, we have some GREAT records stores here you should check out - namely Grimey's, which is probably the best record store in the southern US if not eastern half.

Haha, you just have to know when to go to avoid the hipster crowd. They tend to go for the vintage shops and used sections, though, and I usually buy newer albums.

Also, School Kids closed last year.

Sucks, too, because they were my favorite shop downtown. That's not to say I don't like Wuxtry, though (I LOVE Wuxtry), but School Kids always seemed to have slightly better prices. The shop next to the 40 Watt is still here, though.

(Also also, I'll definitely make sure to stop by Grimey's if and when I visit Nashville. It looks awesome. I could probably spend an hour or two in there, easily.)

Surprising to see that I posted in here back in 2006.

Probably fairly shortly after that I got pretty into dubstep (before it became really popular and turned into crap). Back then most releases came out on vinyl only, so if you wanted to own some stuff buying vinyl (online and having it mailed overseas) was the only legit way of getting anything. Now most releases are digital, and many of the old releases have since been re-released digitally. I spent a significant amount of money on vinyl, and my collection really isn't all that big. I have about 60 dubstep releases and a handful of other stuff (Ratatat, Beastie Boys, DJ Shadow, Streetlight Manifesto, etc.), but many of the ones I have are actually considered classics and have gone up in value. Just as an example a copy of DMZ013 recently sold on ebay for over $25, while that's not a ton of money that is over double what I payed. That's $12.50 per song!

^^ Crap, I can't believe School Kids closed. That's a bummer. I remember only getting to visit there once when I came over to see Interpol play at the 40 Watt. <--- Good to hear the record store there is still in operation. Anyway, nice to see another TPR vinyl collector. I guarantee you will not be disappointed with Grimey's. They're always having cool in-stores too with live bands so you may want to check their calendar from time to time before making a trip over. I've seen some awesome bands play there for free. Oh, just remembered, Record Store Day is a great time to visit! In addition, we have Third Man Records (Jack White's empire) which also has bands playing live occasionally. And then there's several other vinyl stores around town. Be glad to help you out if you're ever over this way.

I have over 10,000 vinyl in "Sound Warehouse" Record crates (remember those??).

Mostly full albums (lots of metal, including multiple copies of every KISS album - many of them bought when they originally were released), and mainly focusing on the 70's-late 80's.

what's not full albums are 12" singles (at least 2K of them) -- mainly 80's Industrial, Dance,Goth,Alternative music -- since I used to get the new singles every week at the Record Rack in Houston after hearing them in the club #'s on lower Westhimer.

I guess you could say I'm a collector, since most of what I have is worth quite a bit of $$$ particularly the 12" singles from classic industrial bands, as are the rare picture discs and "blue label" KISS albums.

but I still do listen to the vinyl fairly often.

I have a bunch of records. I've got crates full of old Country and Jazz that you can find at every garage sale and thrift store, and I probably have 150+ Hip Hop, Hardcore, Indie, and Metal records (Old & New) including first pressings and test presses. There are some LP's and even 7" out there that are worth a butt-load of money, including some newer limited pressings.

I used to DJ so I have a bunch of Hip Hop and House (probably around 4 crates or so) up till about 2000. Other than that I still have an pretty impressive punk and hardcore 7" collection.

Any buyers?

What do you have that you're selling? I'm interested in all of the above genres, minus House.