What is your favorite genre of music?

Post if your choice is not an option.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Games, links, news, movies, WHATEVER!!! As long as it's not TOO dirty!
New to the TPR Forums? Come say hello and introduce yourself HERE!

What is your favorite genre of music?

Rock
24%
Heavy Metal
15%
Punk
7%
Ska
2%
Techno
8%
Alternative
13%
Country
2%
Blue Grass
0%
Pop
4%
Rap
3%
Rap
3%
Jazz
3%
Classical
4%
Mellow "Jack Johnson" style
1%
Gospel
1%
Hip Hop
4%
House
6%

Total votes : 285

Resident Asian

Postby revilolee » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:10 am

I like a little bit of everything. Hip hop, rock, dance, pop, indie, electro, etc.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Re: What is your favorite genre of music?

Postby coasterfansince1999 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:58 pm

70s, 80s, and 90s hip hop.

ALL TIME FAVORITE:
early 90s underground hip-hop. NUFF SAID :P
Favorite Steel:Millennium Force (Cedar Point)
Favorite wood (2 way tie):Viper (Six Flags Great America),Goliath (Six Flags Great America)

Bucket List:Olympia Looping,Alpina Bahn,Xcelerator,Montezooma's Revenge
Official European fun fair fanboy :)

I Love Donkeys!

Postby sureblah » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:13 pm

I would not be able to survive without my Elgar, Rachmaninov, Schumann, Bruch, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, Mendelssohn, Glazunov, and Brahms.

Little Person, Big World

Postby andre8 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:50 pm

Hmm.. either house or mainstream crap. :)

the ghost seems to think there is a "Donkey Fairy"

Postby harper83087 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:18 pm

While I am happy with just about anything (I can easily go from classical to jazz to pop to the brutalest of death metals without batting an eye), my favorite genre is melodic hard rock/metal. Favorite bands are Godsmack, Volbeat, Metallica, Amon Amarth and on and on and on haha.
Total:99, steel:73 wood:26 According to Coaster Counter
Top 5 Steel: Magnum XL-200; X2; Maverick; Alpengeist; Tatsu
Top 5 Wood: Apocalypse; Beast; Mean Streak; Blue Streak; Shivering Timbers

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby imawesome1124 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:19 pm

My favorite is rock. More specifically Christian rock, like Red, Skillet, Thousand Foot Krutch, etc.

Pubic hair eating champion of the world!

Location: Planet Earth...which I *think* is somewhere in the Universe

Postby mightbeawannabe » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:26 pm

sureblah wrote:I would not be able to survive without my Elgar, Rachmaninov, Schumann, Bruch, Tchaikovsky, Dvorak, Mendelssohn, Glazunov, and Brahms.

Glazunov? I personally don't find his music overly attractive other than the violin concerto and a few random works...he seems to overdo with the brilliante a bit...

but to each his own!

I guess I could fit within the broad genre of classical (I'm not a big fan of the Baroque-Classical era), and am most in-tune with time between the late years of Chopin and the death of Shostakovich. However, I do like music from other, branching periods and adverse styles (insert Messiaen's early work), even some jazz from the time popular and art music intersected in the mid-20s-early-30s (on the classical side where Ravel created a jazz-impressionist hybrid). I have a fairly large collection of music from many periods, composers, and forms, ranging in the 170ish GB range.
Hi. I'm a signature. You were looking for the guy right above me. Everyone thinks he's more important...sob...he says he's Postal or something like that.

People must really like their mail.

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby STR8FXXXINEDGE » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:16 pm

I don't think I have a favorite genre. I just love music. All music! Well, besides Opera, Gospel, and R&B, haha.

I will say this, though... I'm VERY happy to see that Rap and Hip Hop are separate on the poll. I think there is a big difference between the two that a lot of people completely overlook, or just don't understand.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby cal1br3tto » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:31 pm

STR8FXXXINEDGE wrote:I will say this, though... I'm VERY happy to see that Rap and Hip Hop are separate on the poll. I think there is a big difference between the two that a lot of people completely overlook, or just don't understand.

I'm still confused by this. How would you explain it?

I feel like I've heard both that they're two different kinds of music, or that "rap" is a music genre whereas "hip-hop" is a culture that encompasses rap music. Either way, there are a few artists I would characterize as only one or the other, but otherwise I can't tell the difference. Is there supposed to be a lot of overlap?
114 wood+512 steel=626 | Steel Vengeance | Boulder Dash | Twisted Timbers | Coaster | X2 | Twisted Colossus | Storm Chaser | Phoenix | Maverick | Twisted Cyclone | Iron Rattler | Voyage | Kawasemi | El Toro | New Texas Giant

Jar-Jar Binks smells like Donkey

Postby STR8FXXXINEDGE » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:09 am

^ I guess a lot of peoples interpretations of it are different. Here's my short answer...

To me, rap is a lot more negative, aggressive, and hard. Rap tends to focus on money, demoralizing girls, drugs, cars, jewelry, violence, etc...
I also think that rap is very repetitive, and most of it is done over a purely computer generated beat, and the hooks or chorus' are usually terrible. I think most rap beats tend to be fairly simple, with a lot more (fake) bass.

Hip Hop on the other hand, to me, is more upbeat and positive. To me hip hop focuses more on the future, and being positive about life, and making changes for the better. A lot of hip hop also focuses on relationships, friendships, family, equality, and to be proud and thankful for what you have and to do the best with what you have. It's more about life experiences and enjoying the good, and how to overcome the bad. I think hip hop is a lot more meaningful than rap.
I also think that hip hop beats are usually more complicated and substantial than rap beats. A lot of hip hop emcees tend to have real instruments in their songs too, whether it be drums, horns, turntable scratching, etc...

Let me know if you'd like any examples. I could give you some YouTube links to some great hip hop songs, and some not so great rap songs that will definitely show you the difference, haha. I used to be a huge hip hop head (still "one" of my favorite genres), and have a huge arsenal of goodies!

But like I said, everyone's definition may be different.

PreviousNext

Return to Random, Random, Random