TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Sony Gets PWNED.

Homer

http://www.japantoday.com/e/?content=news&cat=3&id=332037

LOS ANGELES — The U.S. District Court in Oakland, California, has ordered Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. and its U.S. unit to pay $90.7 million in damages to Immersion Corp. for patent infringement over controllers used with PlayStation game consoles.

In the ruling handed down Thursday, the federal court also ordered Sony Computer Entertainment and Sony Entertainment America Inc. to stop selling the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 game consoles using Dualshock controllers as well as more than 40 game software products. (Kyodo News)

Just when Sony thought they would become the next Nintendo, they get pwned. So good...

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He means owned ...

Remember folks, most people don't speak retarded computer speak, or whatever the hell it's called.

The $90.7 million aspect isn't what's going to hurt the most. They have to stop selling PSOne and PS2 models with the Dual Shock controller. Last time I checked they only came with the Dual Shock controller.

I'm interested to know what are the 40 software titles they have to stop selling as well.

Gregg "Glad I'm now an X-box guy" C.

Wha? Does this mean I have to return my PS2 controllers to the shop? You won't get them! NEVER! On the other hand, I've heard 90% of all internationally operating japaneese newspapers are about as reliable as whoever announces the "This weeks new nukes" messages from North Korea...

Hmmm...I'm not seeing anything about this on IGN or Gamespot and no one here has heard anything about this....

--Robb "You'd think if we suddently had to stop making games for the Dual Shock, someone would tell us!" Alvey

Immerson corp.? WTF? WTF? WTF?

I have never heard of them. Since it's not in the news nationally, Some new source is making big trouble by posting and annoucing a lie.

Really i hope this is a lie. Sony, has been using Dualshock since 1994 when the PSone came out and Immerson didn't sue then so this is a lie, this is just my thoughts on this article.

Chris

This won't change anything ever for consumers. Sony will either license it or they will win the appeal.

Consider that there is a stay on it until the appeal happens anyway. So even if eventually they have to change the technique it isn't happening too soon.

Also Sony will never pass this cost to consumers as they make a whole hell of a lot more than this on systems. So realistically this won't affect consumers in the least. So no need to panic. Hey I mean the PS2 still has tons more games than any of the other systems and many more highly rated games. So don't panic and enjoy that black box.

Oh yeah GOD OF WAR ROCKS!!!!! Thats reason enough to get a PS2.

Sony should have been smart (like Microsoft) and bit the bullet with this company, payed them an undisclosed settlement, and bought stock in them like Microsoft successfully did. Sony wanted to wage a war, and has lost the first battle. Sony could learn a thing or two from Gates. Whenever someone starts trouble with you, just bribe them with lots of cash to shut them up.