The Model Cyclone Racer

Discussion on building of a classic wooden wonder.
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Upload files from No Limits, Roller Coaster Tycoon, etc...
Discuss CoasterDynamix, KNEX Models, and more random stuff!
When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Re: The Model Cyclone Racer

Postby hillflyer » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:22 pm

It seems there are a couple of photos that hint there were a set of steps on each side of the station house, probably to the base of the lift hills. Winging it, I designed sets of steps based on the Giant Dipper's old maintenance steps.

They look like ladies heels!
IMG_20170419_134413565.jpg
IMG_20170420_190501981.jpg

Postby hillflyer » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:31 pm

Breaking:. Cyclone Racer's lift hills begin to rise
IMG_20170429_194934091_HDR.jpg

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby SixFlagsAstroworld » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:18 pm

Woohoo!! :b
Coaster Count: 108
Check out my latest project: Six Flags Cypress Adventures
HARD ROCK PARK Coming to Chaos Crafter 2019!!

Postby hillflyer » Wed May 10, 2017 1:46 pm

A couple of photos suggest that the motor house for the Cyclone Racer lift hills (at least the north one anyway) was located under the lift structure.
The overhead plan suggests that would be the best place for them to be. So…
IMG_20170504_204920307_HDR.jpg
This design is based on the San Diego Giant Dipper’s motor house since that is a Church coaster as well. The only thing I know for sure about the Cyclone’s motor house was it had a slanted roof and had at least two windows. Both also traits of the Giant Dipper, so while it might not be EXACTLY like the Racer’s, it’s a good educated guess.
IMG_20170506_150436213_HDR.jpg
Photo of my new…actually it’s my old apartment, redecorated. I moved the work station over to the front windows, it really feels like a studio!
IMG_20170509_205502.jpg
The construction of the roof will not be so hard after all. The purlins are coming out much straighter than I had anticipated…not that I wouldn’t have redone them if I wasn’t satisfied.
CR Beast brakes.png
Right now on the drafting board is trying to figure out where this all ties in in the scheme of things. Movie frame from “Beast from 20000 Fathoms”
SKM_C25816121511150.jpg
You can see a roof under the lift hill way in the back of the photo.

Postby hillflyer » Mon May 15, 2017 10:42 am

Maintenance steps for side B (seen in that movie frame freeze above) which is the grade I would give myself on this near masterpiece. Hope the matching applies to side A.
IMG_20170512_214019128_HDR.jpg

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DoinItForTheFame » Tue May 16, 2017 5:47 pm

You are so good at what you do, and you have so much more patience than I do. I would have punted it across the house a long time ago.

Keep up the great work. It's much admired!!
Bigger is not always better.

Postby hillflyer » Thu May 18, 2017 1:25 pm

Goal is to have the station house done in one month in time for an upcoming local street fair.
IMG_20170516_151851499.jpg
Maintenance steps for side A under construction.
IMG_20170516_200444803.jpg
Still have to add the stilts but so far I'll grade myself an A if I may be so bold.
CR station light drill.jpg
Drilling about 440 holes for the light sockets up under the canopy as pictured below
CR Station front shored small.jpg
A little overboard on the lights I think.

Postby hillflyer » Wed May 24, 2017 9:29 am

Last night I placed all 5 major components of phase 1 together for the first time. That would be the two sections of station house, the brake run, (which I hope to seal the three together by this long weekend's end) and the first 50' feet of each lift hill. Next week I hope to have some photo worthy shots of this work in progress.
CR station brakes beaver dvd 3.png
I've been studying this section for MONTHS, trying to piece it all together. It's really like a puzzle looking at a photo like this and trying to make 3-D sense out of it. This is a frame still from an episode of "Leave it to Beaver" (Beaver's Fear)
CR station lights.png
Another freeze frame from "Beast From 20000 Fathoms". All...those...light bulbs...it must have been blinding to be waiting for your train.
CR station bulbs.jpg
Gluing on close to 530 of the clear plastic hollow beads to proxy for tiny light bulbs on plastic I drilled little holes into. These go up in the rafters inside the station house. If I already had experience in working with fiber optics, I could thread in 530 strings, but I don't want to do risk wrecking what I've done so far.

Postby hillflyer » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:16 pm

I can stare at a photo for months but it isn’t until I start to put it together does everything make sense and things start to appear that I didn’t notice before. In any event, here is my version of the Cyclone Racer’s rear operator’s booth, side B.
CR Station rear beaver dvd.png
Freeze frame from Leave it to Beaver.
IMG_20170602_154700122.jpg
Operator's Booth
CR station beast back booth.png
Movie clip from Beast From 20000 FathomsS
IMG_20170602_155720914.jpg
Operator's Booth

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Postby CoasterB » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:09 am

I feel like its been a while, but really nice to see an update. Looking good as always. Have you thought about using SMD LED'S? they come in all tiny sizes and are fairly easy to use with a bit of soldering practise :)
My Top Coasters - Kingda Ka, El Toro, Nemesis, Shambhala, Taron, Expedition Geforce, X2, Tatsu, Twisted Colossus, Wodan, Troy
Last Park visited: Movie Park Germany - Next Park Visit: Florida

PreviousNext

Return to Roller Coaster Games, Models, and Other Randomness