Elitch Gardens Discussion Thread

Page 36: Meow Wolf's Kaleidoscape
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I wrote the book about donkeys!

Re: Elitch Gardens Discussion Thread

Postby ALT2870 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:08 am

SoCalJasonland wrote:
grsupercity wrote:I am flying to Denver for a day to visit Elitch Gardens and lakeside. I should be fine going to the parks alone without trouble right. Lakeside just looks so shady in the pictures lol. I will be ubering from the airport to both parks and back.

I haven't noticed gang problems or violence at Lakeside. It is just a little run down and spooky in a Silent Hill or Final Destination kind of way. I would definitely not plan on eating or drinking anything at Lakeside though. Elitch is actually a nice walk from the light rail station that runs from the airport to downtown. It is worth taking for one of the legs.

Dido on taking the train to downtown. It's $9 and depending on the time of day, faster. And yes, Lakeside isn't really in a bad part of town. That honor usually belongs to Colfax. :P

A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Postby VegasBaby » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:17 am

grsupercity wrote:I am flying to Denver for a day to visit Elitch Gardens and lakeside. I should be fine going to the parks alone without trouble right. Lakeside just looks so shady in the pictures lol. I will be ubering from the airport to both parks and back.

Don't get your hopes up too high, Elitch is very meh and Lakeside is a straight up dump. I would highly recommend buying the Elitch rapid ride plus pass as that lets you skip the lines on all the big rides and it includes one ride on each of the upcharge attractions (Slingshot and XLR8R). IMO, the two upcharge attractions are the best rides in the park. It's like $55 if you purchase them individually or you get the rapid ride plus pass for $60 and it includes both of them.
Coaster Count: 220 Last Coaster: Red Force
Top Ten: 1) Superman The Ride 2) Millennium Force 3) X2 4) Skyrush 5) El Toro 6) Twisted Colossus 7) Maverick 8) Shambhala 9) Lightning Rod 10) Mako

Donkeys are my way of life!

Postby Taylor Finn » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:11 pm

I visited Lakeside last week and I wouldn't say it's a dump. I desperately wish they would invest $500k into ensuring that all of the rides operate (and at full capacity, some are missing vehicles). But what they do have is perfectly nice and the lights at night really are cool. We ended up having a really good time there, just had an odd mixture of feelings about the whole thing. Was sad to see some of the bad knowing how much potential the place has (literally unlimited). They seem to get decent crowds, so I don't know what to make of their financial situation. Just know it has been the same ownership for like 80 years, which in one respect has been good (they haven't veered from the retro vibe), but they seem to have become very complicit and lazy. Level your expectations and go at night and you'll have a nice enough time for the cost. Also, food is ridiculously cheap. $5 giant funnel cakes and $1-2 Icees.

What's with the donkeys anyway?

Postby aueft » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:24 pm

Lakeside is depressing more than anything. It's definitely seen better days (prices are stupidly cheap as well). You've probably already looked into this, but Lakeside's hours can be pretty weird, and its rides open slowly, so you might want to double check the calendar.

A bit off topic, and I don't know whether this is something that you have considered, but I feel like Waterworld might be a better option than the local amusement parks. Some of the raft rides there are really something special.

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby grsupercity » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:00 pm

Thank you. This is making me feel better. The second I heard Elitch was gonna close I knew I had to plan a trip. With Lakeside being so close I figure I should visit. Wild Chipmunk looks so bad that its good
After riding Lightning Run I can not understand why parks are not lining up to buy some Hyper GTX models. That little ride rocks

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:20 pm

ALT2870 wrote:Dido on taking the train to downtown.

I want to say thank you.

Don't let this donkey melt you with its laser eyes!

Postby SoCalJasonland » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:18 pm

grsupercity wrote:Thank you. This is making me feel better. The second I heard Elitch was gonna close I knew I had to plan a trip. With Lakeside being so close I figure I should visit. Wild Chipmunk looks so bad that its good

If you want to hit both parks in one day, I would recommend:
1. Fly into DIA and arrive about 8 - 9 am.
2. Take the "A" train to Union Station, about 40 min / $10.50
3. Walk approx. 1 mile to Elitch Gardens and stay until bored
4. Uber to Lakeside (approx. 5 miles each way from downtown)
5. Uber to Union Station when finished with Lakeside
6. Take "A" train back to the airport from Union Station

The light rail train is nice, clean, picks up at the airport, and runs past midnight. You can get discount tickets online for Elitch at their website. Groupon has discounts for Lakeside but you have to purchase two admissions for the discount. If you don't need two Lakeside admission tickets, you might as well pay at the gate as it is not that expensive. I would plan to eat at the airport or downtown. There is nothing really edible within walking distance of Lakeside.

This is the schedule for the train that runs from the airport to downtown:
www3.rtd-denver.com/schedules/getSchedule.action?routeType=32&routeId=A&serviceType=4
I love to roam where the wild things are.

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!