Elitch Gardens Discussion Thread

Page 36: Meow Wolf's Kaleidoscape
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
A donkey is a domesticated member of the Equidae or horse family.

Re: Elitch Gardens Discussion Thread

Postby Rai Fox » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:39 pm

Canobie Coaster wrote:This makes the Dr. Strange Mirror Dimension look like child's play compared to this acid trip. This looks great!

Did they convert this into a non-shooter, but reuse the old Ghost Blasters cars? I thought I saw the guns briefly in one shot.

From the article -

"On the way in, there’s a robot and video explainer that sets Kaleidoscape in the realm of some kind of (doughnut-shaped) quantum multiverse situation. There’s something about a “cosmic egg” and “q-particles” that you can shoot with laser guns – it’s enough to set the stage, but I’ll leave it up to you to determine what the story is, exactly."

Sounds like there's still a shooting element, though I don't really see one in the video.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:04 pm

To me, it sounds like the shooting changes what you see/experience, but there is no scoring involved.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:05 pm

Thanks! I thought it'd be weird if the guns were just there idle. This ride keeps getting cooler and cooler.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Heide Park & Toverland

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby coneyislandchris » Wed May 08, 2019 9:58 am

So I was out in Denver last weekend to go see a concert at Red Rocks, and during some downtime on Saturday afternoon, I made a point of checking out the park, especially given the talk of that land being taken over for real estate development in the future. I was also hoping to check out Lakeside while I was out that way, but wouldn't you know it, I missed opening day by one week. Since I didn't have much time (was heading out to see a baseball game at Coors Field with a start time of 7:00), and the park appeared to be very much on the busy side thanks to a number of different school groups coming in and taking over, I made the quick decision to grab a fast pass wristband and limit myself to the coasters and the dark ride.

I hadn't had any experience with Meow Wolf prior to this, but I had only heard good things. So that ended up being stop number one. Ended up being slightly tricked when it came to the length of the line; while it looked as if there may have only been about a dozen people in line, it turns out that the queue line goes through a door to outside, where it continues around. It ended up being about a fifty minute wait, due to no fast pass access, each car only seating 4 people, and what appeared to be a number of technical issues constantly causing the ride to stop. Once on board, I settled in for a crazy psychedelic trip, and was sufficiently overwhelmed with visuals. The first room was an 80's retro overload, with mountains made out of pink vector graphics and glowing neon structures, giving the whole thing a total outrun sort of vibe. The next room started off with the vectors being engulfed in fire, before giving way to a vibrant Lisa Frank jungle nightmare scene. Then the entire thing got progressively weirder as all the creatures started mutating in the next room, and a chair made a slow motion freeze frame trip across the room only to find itself drawn and quartered by some creepy TV-headed man. Followed it up with one of the coolest effects in the entire ride, a very effective hyperspace tunnel with projections and LEDs. It all concluded in a dark room with a single light shining on an egg, but I think at this point it must have malfunctioned again because nothing was happening. I mean, though, it was pretty hard to understand what was supposed to be happening for the entire ride. That's the price of "art", I guess. One disappointing thing was that it was supposed to be a shooting dark ride, but nothing much seemed to happen or change depending upon whether you were or weren't shooting. Overall, it was a really unique experience that I'm glad I got a chance to see in person, but I wouldn't wait more than 15 minutes for it a second time.

As far as the coasters went, both the Boomerang and Mind Eraser models were pretty much stock off the shelf, yet neither one of them ended up being super rough or painful to ride. You know the park was packed when both of these rides had a full queue, I'm guessing at least 60-90 minutes per wait. At $40, the wristband was definitely worth the price of purchase to skip these lines. Their Half Pipe was actually the first one of those models I've ever been on, and it was super disorienting in all the best possible ways. If I find myself laughing hysterically mid-ride, I can't help but give it a thumbs up.

I ended up making my way back to Twister II for my next ride. Having had many a good experience with Knoebels' Twister, I was looking forward to checking out its' Coloradan cousin. I enjoyed myself (short of its first turn after the drop, which sent me slamming my ribs into the side of the car), and it was definitely worth riding, but I still rate the one at Knoebels much higher. Then, my last ride of the day was on Sidewinder, which brought back some serious nostalgia for me, having grown up with the Lightnin' Loops out at Great Adventure. Again, it was fun enough as a quick one-time hit, but it's kind of weird to look back and see how far coasters have come since this ride was the big bad thrill to beat all others, and now it's just kind of tame. That backwards airtime though! Always a pleasant surprise.

Overall, I was glad to have visited, but I don't really have any overwhelming urge to go back and visit, even if I find myself out Rocky Mountain way again in the future. I hope if they do end up moving the park to another location, they're able to invest more and modernize.

Some pics!

IMG_0603.JPG
I can't think of many places that actually have you ENTER through the gift shop.

IMG_0613.jpg
Just because you keep repeating something doesn't necessarily make it true.

IMG_0626.jpg
If the font and color choices didn't give away the weirdness in store...

IMG_0628.jpg
...then this mural on the back of the building definitely should.

IMG_0647.JPG
Or this sign. What's QDOT? "Quantum Department of Transportation", apparently.

IMG_0658.jpg
They may not be the best rides out there, but they're undoubtedly photogenic.

IMG_0681.jpg
Built wilder the second time around? You mean at Knoebels?

IMG_0693.JPG
Still, it's cool to see a coaster with an NFL stadium as its backdrop.

IMG_0703.JPG
Ride the lightning!

IMG_0874.PNG
I was underprepared for how awesome this little thing ended up being. Surprise sleeper hit of the trip!
That coaster dad [338] and that coaster kiddo [220]. Road trip buddies for life.
Dad's faves: Fury 325. Phantom's Revenge. Twisted Timbers. Intimidator 305. El Toro.

Kiddo's faves: Talon. Alpengeist. Raptor. TMNT Shellraiser. Fury 325.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Canobie Coaster » Wed May 08, 2019 11:15 am

Great report! Glad to hear Twister is back up and running after this offseason's trackwork.
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Heide Park & Toverland

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby joelwee » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:16 pm

Hey all,
I'll be in Denver on a business trip next month and might try to sneak in a few hours at Elitch Gardens. Their pricing for day tickets already isn't that bad, but are there any places to find discounted tickets? I checked Tickets At Work, but they don't sell Elitch tickets.
Seat, don't fail me now!

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby ALT2870 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:29 pm

joelwee wrote:Hey all,
I'll be in Denver on a business trip next month and might try to sneak in a few hours at Elitch Gardens. Their pricing for day tickets already isn't that bad, but are there any places to find discounted tickets? I checked Tickets At Work, but they don't sell Elitch tickets.

I want to say Pepsi cans have discounts. You could also check King Soopers as well. None of the commercials here have been clueing in on discounts yet. If I see something I'll let you know.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby joelwee » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:32 pm

ALT2870 wrote:
joelwee wrote:Hey all,

I want to say Pepsi cans have discounts. You could also check King Soopers as well. None of the commercials here have been clueing in on discounts yet. If I see something I'll let you know.

Thanks, man! I'm not really a soda drinker, but I'll tolerate a Pepsi if it means cheaper EG tickets. :lol:
Seat, don't fail me now!

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby grsupercity » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:51 pm

I am flying to Denver for a day to visit Elitch Gardens and lakeside. I should be fine going to the parks alone without trouble right. Lakeside just looks so shady in the pictures lol. I will be ubering from the airport to both parks and back.
After riding Lightning Run I can not understand why parks are not lining up to buy some Hyper GTX models. That little ride rocks

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby SoCalJasonland » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:08 pm

grsupercity wrote:I am flying to Denver for a day to visit Elitch Gardens and lakeside. I should be fine going to the parks alone without trouble right. Lakeside just looks so shady in the pictures lol. I will be ubering from the airport to both parks and back.

I haven't noticed gang problems or violence at Lakeside. It is just a little run down and spooky in a Silent Hill or Final Destination kind of way. I would definitely not plan on eating or drinking anything at Lakeside though. Elitch is actually a nice walk from the light rail station that runs from the airport to downtown. It is worth taking for one of the legs.
I love to roam where the wild things are.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!