WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

P. 184: New destinations coming to Star Tours this December!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 2 guests
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Re: WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

Postby A.J. » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:20 am

I went to Star Wars Galaxy's Edge yesterday afternoon. Some thoughts:

The land is immersive to its detriment. Pretty much every retail / dining location is difficult to find because nothing is labeled / signed properly. Places like the Droid Depot for example - I could make out the fact that there were two words with five letters each in Aurebesh, so that made me think "droid depot". But they apparently went through such a huge effort to make a new Aurebesh-lookalike traditional font, and it's frustrating that they really don't use it much anywhere on the exteriors of buildings, with a few exceptions of course.

That being said it IS probably the most immersive theme park land I've ever set foot in and that's an incredible achievement. I know a lot of folks who worked creatively on the project and they deserve all the praise that the land is getting. The land wasn't shoulder-to-shoulder crowded but it certainly wasn't anywhere near empty either. I don't understand how Hollywood Studios' land could ever be considered a "failure" in that regard. It's getting a "typical" but consistent number of people.

Millennium Falcon Smugglers' Run had a posted wait of 70-80 minutes for the entire day but, wonderfully, it has a single rider line. I got on in less than fifteen minutes and was given the left-right steering pilot position.

That being said - Millennium Falcon Smugglers Run is possibly the worst video game I've ever played.

The controls are insanely sloppy, the screen is hard to see, and everything happens so fast you are never able to process what your objective is and how you achieve it. We had just had a quick break and immediately after I was called to power the ship back up we were chasing another transport ship but not anywhere near the correct position to do so. It took me at least ten seconds to process that and by the time I steered it back behind the ship the Falcon was already taking heavy damage from being smacked around.

(I may be slightly biased because less than six hours before, I was on my PC playing Celeste, a pixel-perfect platformer with the most precise controls in any game I've played.)

We got two of the power cells or whatever they were called in the end, and in terms of the ride's story, Hondo congratulated us, and even though we caused heavy damage to the ship we made a sizable profit. So from the ride's perspective, we got a "good" ending. But as soon as the cast members opened the door we were immediately ridiculed by them for causing heavy damage to the ship, and were given a "bad" ending, even though we scored enough points to make up for the damage. That's a really bad story inconsistency and they should really have more responses to different levels of success.

The ride system is pretty cool in that you can never really tell when the turntable is moving apart from the beginning and end, when you also see the same happening visually. Plus, it's an insane people eater and an engineering achievement. However, the need for a constant, clockwork loading / unloading sequence means that there is no time for you to be reminded of how the controls work and what you need to do, unlike in, say, Mission Space, because you basically start right away as soon as the door is closed behind you.

TLDR re: Smugglers Run - fun and interesting ride, engineering marvel, terrible video game, inconsistent storytelling.

TLDR re: Galaxy's Edge - incredible immersion to a fault, would gladly drop in again.

Also, I feel sorry for anyone who was paying over $40 for a white Kyber crystal on eBay, they had plenty of the whites and yellows on the shelf.
2FD90D93-E300-4AA7-A6EA-62446D5FA49A.jpeg
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

A zonkey is a cross between a zebra and a donkey.

Postby Arthur_Seaton » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:28 am

A.J. wrote:The controls are insanely sloppy, the screen is hard to see, and everything happens so fast you are never able to process what your objective is and how you achieve it. We had just had a quick break and immediately after I was called to power the ship back up we were chasing another transport ship but not anywhere near the correct position to do so. It took me at least ten seconds to process that and by the time I steered it back behind the ship the Falcon was already taking heavy damage from being smacked around.

I assume the WDW is the same as the DL one? We rode it twice and found the ride so much more enjoyable in the back seats as opposed to piloting. It doesn't seem like the controls do a whole lot, and so we felt our ride was improved when we didn't really touch any of the controls and just occasionally mashed random buttons. The plot was pretty incomprehensible to me, but I hadn't seen any of the Star Wars films beyond the first three from when I was a kid. I figured that land is catnip for hardcore Star Wars devotees, though.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:51 am

The land is based on the sequel trilogy, but the ride itself is based around Hondo Ohnaka, a character from the cartoon series Clone Wars (between eps. 2 and 3) and Rebels (between eps. 3 and 4). Apparently the Hondo character is alive during the sequel trilogy, and the events that lead up to the ride's story are portrayed in a companion comic. It's the first time the character has been portrayed in a live-action setting.

Not a "fan" myself either, but I do keep up with various sci-fi series because I enjoy piecing the stories together.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby coasterbill » Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:42 pm

Just a heads up, tons of reservations just opened for Oga’s Cantina in Galaxy’s Edge.

A few weeks ago attempting to get one for October was so impossible that calling about it would probably make the cast member on the phone fight back laughter and getting one for February was only possible if Brit and I overlapped single reservations.

I just modified the February reservations to get two on one and got one for October too (and there were other times available). If you recently tried and failed, jump on the app now.
F3A4CD65-F5A6-479A-AB1B-8E0519981244.jpeg
Last edited by coasterbill on Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:43 pm.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:35 pm

^ Oga's was great in DL, when we visited. The cocktails are pricey but that was a given, to us.
And it was noisy, as a bar like this should be. Hope you have a great time in the times you visit the place. :smile:
IMG_1382.JPG
And then there's REX as your Cantina DJ, too! (o: (Oga's in DL, Sept.12/19)
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:49 am

It has been announced that new destinations will debut on December 20th, 2019, bringing guests to locations found in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. These new experiences will become to Disney's Hollywood Studios, Disneyland Park, Disneyland Paris and Tokyo Disneyland!

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2019/10/here-we-go-again-exciting-updates-to-star-tours-the-adventures-continue/

hrgejtnm78ikyj-768x432.jpg

Since the launch of Star Tours – The Adventures Continue, we’ve had a great time partnering with Lucasfilm and Industrial Light & Magic to update the attraction with new and exciting destinations. Passengers who board the Starspeeder 1000 never know where in the galaxy their pilot C-3PO and navigator R2-D2 will take them. We’ve added flights to Jakku, Crait and even Batuu! Along the way, we’ve encountered many of our favorite characters from the Skywalker saga.

I know that many of you are as excited as I am about the December 20th film launch of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. Today I’m equally excited to announce that on the same December date, Star Tours – The Adventures Continue will be adding new destinations inspired by the latest episode of the Star Wars saga … at Disneyland Resort, Walt Disney World Resort, Disneyland Paris and Tokyo Disney Resort.

In the trailers for Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, you caught glimpses of the ocean moon Kef Bir. All I can say at this point is that Starspeeders will be heading there soon!

We’ll be sharing more details in the future, but for now I just wanted to say how super-excited we are that Star Tours – The Adventures Continue is continuing to live up to its name. As C-3PO would say, “Here we go again!”
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Harry Potter is a sick donkey.

Postby mary.pesik » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:24 pm

I can't wait for Rise of the Resistance. I think Finn is hot ;)
"It's go time! Head back, hold on, and prepare to dish out the mighty wrath of justice!" ~ some retarded turtle

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!