Page 176 of 183

Re: WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:36 am
by robbalvey
Too Fast For Comfort wrote:The takeaway is that Disney these days lives and dies by those Fast Passes. If you can get good ones, you can get on some rides. If you miss out on them, expect to wait a lot longer in the stand-by.

This is absoultely NOT TRUE at all.

It is only true if you are not a smart theme park patron and you follow the sheep into every single long line without thinking or being strategic on how to maximize your FP+ options combined with the best times to get into a stand by line.

I cannot tell you how many times I've stood in the Flight of Passage standby line and it only took me 25 minutes to get on the ride because I was smart about when I chose to get in that line.

I can also tell you that I've been on attraction like Frozen, Toy Story Mania, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, etc, in the MIDDLE OF THE DAY without a Fast Pass and only waited 20-40 minutes because you figure out when are peak periods for rides and not peak periods.

Also doing some smart second guessing as to when people are and are not booking Fast Passes comes into play as well.

It annoys me when people claim that you "HAVE to get a FastPass or you're not getting on the bigger rides" because that's completely false. I would hope that the people posting to these forums would know better.

Re: WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:00 pm
by Too Fast For Comfort
robbalvey wrote:
Too Fast For Comfort wrote:The takeaway is that Disney these days lives and dies by those Fast Passes. If you can get good ones, you can get on some rides. If you miss out on them, expect to wait a lot longer in the stand-by.

This is absoultely NOT TRUE at all.

It is only true if you are not a smart theme park patron and you follow the sheep into every single long line without thinking or being strategic on how to maximize your FP+ options combined with the best times to get into a stand by line.

I cannot tell you how many times I've stood in the Flight of Passage standby line and it only took me 25 minutes to get on the ride because I was smart about when I chose to get in that line.

I can also tell you that I've been on attraction like Frozen, Toy Story Mania, Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, etc, in the MIDDLE OF THE DAY without a Fast Pass and only waited 20-40 minutes because you figure out when are peak periods for rides and not peak periods.

Also doing some smart second guessing as to when people are and are not booking Fast Passes comes into play as well.

It annoys me when people claim that you "HAVE to get a FastPass or you're not getting on the bigger rides" because that's completely false. I would hope that the people posting to these forums would know better.


I apologize, I was speaking in hyperbole. I was just emphasizing that they're very helpful. What are some of your tips for the best ways to get short standby lines? I'm always down for advice.

Re: WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:39 pm
by robbalvey
Too Fast For Comfort wrote:I apologize, I was speaking in hyperbole.

I get it. Just remember that not everyone is a mind reader so when you make your posts, if you're not being serious, and it isn't obvious to the reader, consider a different approach.

Too Fast For Comfort wrote:What are some of your tips for the best ways to get short standby lines? I'm always down for advice.


- Major rides at the end of the night. Flight of Passage is a great example of this. Get in line right as the park closes. My average wait on about 30 rides is maybe 40 minutes.

- Consider timing of other things going on and an attractions demographic. Example: I've had great luck with super short lines on Seven Dwarfs Mine Train right as the fireworks start. It may still say 70 minutes, but I don't think I've ever waited more than 30. Why? Because 1. the fireworks are going on and people are distracted with those. 2. It caters more towards smaller kids, many of which don't end up making it through the day and that is a FP that is often not used later in the evening. So while there are still a lot of FP "out there" on people's apps that they could be using, they seem to get forfeited because when they made those FP 60 days ago, they didn't take into consideration that their 5 year old might not make it until 9:00pm.

- Predicting the timing and patters of guests can be helpful. Example: at Epcot, almost EVERYONE goes to Frozen right when the park opens. I've seen the line for Frozen only be posted at 30-40 minutes about 2-3 hours after the park has opened because so many people have rushed to it first thing in the morning, they rode it, and then they moved on.

A lot of attractions will get their "2nd wave" at around noon to 1pm because those are the people who just couldn't get up in the morning to make it for rope drop! So sometimes there is this small window from about 11am - 12:30pm where you can luck out and get on some rides without much wait.

Those are just a few things off the top of my head...

Re: WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:02 am
by Too Fast For Comfort
robbalvey wrote:
Too Fast For Comfort wrote:I apologize, I was speaking in hyperbole.

I get it. Just remember that not everyone is a mind reader so when you make your posts, if you're not being serious, and it isn't obvious to the reader, consider a different approach.

Too Fast For Comfort wrote:What are some of your tips for the best ways to get short standby lines? I'm always down for advice.


- Major rides at the end of the night. Flight of Passage is a great example of this. Get in line right as the park closes. My average wait on about 30 rides is maybe 40 minutes.

- Consider timing of other things going on and an attractions demographic. Example: I've had great luck with super short lines on Seven Dwarfs Mine Train right as the fireworks start. It may still say 70 minutes, but I don't think I've ever waited more than 30. Why? Because 1. the fireworks are going on and people are distracted with those. 2. It caters more towards smaller kids, many of which don't end up making it through the day and that is a FP that is often not used later in the evening. So while there are still a lot of FP "out there" on people's apps that they could be using, they seem to get forfeited because when they made those FP 60 days ago, they didn't take into consideration that their 5 year old might not make it until 9:00pm.

- Predicting the timing and patters of guests can be helpful. Example: at Epcot, almost EVERYONE goes to Frozen right when the park opens. I've seen the line for Frozen only be posted at 30-40 minutes about 2-3 hours after the park has opened because so many people have rushed to it first thing in the morning, they rode it, and then they moved on.

A lot of attractions will get their "2nd wave" at around noon to 1pm because those are the people who just couldn't get up in the morning to make it for rope drop! So sometimes there is this small window from about 11am - 12:30pm where you can luck out and get on some rides without much wait.

Those are just a few things off the top of my head...


Those are all interesting points. Thank you for the ideas. I've found that Disney is a whole other animal compared to other chains and strategy is everything. So I'm always looking for new pointers and things to learn. I've found that I can feel like I have the perfect plan, and show up and still get crushed with crowds sometimes. But luckily I live close enough that I can just leave if I'm not getting on what I want.

Re: WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:39 pm
by Rayj
I’m planning a trip to spend two days at two Disney parks and one day at universal studios & island of adventure. I am definitely going to magic kingdom, but I need advice for the second park. I want to go Hollywood studios for tower of terror and rock n’ rollercoaster. But animal kingdom seems like the better park. In addition, I will have a toddler with me. Any suggestions?

Re: WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:15 pm
by Nrthwnd
^ Yes, have a second adult traveling with you, so you can "baby swap" on (maybe) some of those attractions, you mentioned. Otherwise, what the heck are you planning to do with "toddler" when you want to ride Tower of Terror? Take him/her along?

Don't think so.

Re: WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:44 pm
by A.J.
Rayj wrote:I’m planning a trip to spend two days at two Disney parks and one day at universal studios & island of adventure. I am definitely going to magic kingdom, but I need advice for the second park. I want to go Hollywood studios for tower of terror and rock n’ rollercoaster. But animal kingdom seems like the better park. In addition, I will have a toddler with me. Any suggestions?

What Bill said, if you have a second adult, you can do child swap (it's called Rider Switch) at both of the attractions you mentioned, as well as pretty much any other attraction that has a significant height restriction or "intensity" factor. Rock n' Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Space Mountain, Avatar Flight of Passage, the list goes on.

If you're going for a "nice, relaxing" experience Animal Kingdom is your best bet, there are plenty of walking tours to entertain you and your child. If often feels like the quietest park of the four.

If your child watches Disney Junior, there are plenty of opportunities for meet and greets within Hollywood Studios. EPCOT probably has the best selection of food on the resort.

EDIT: You really didn't have to post this three times. Once is enough.

Re: WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:00 am
by SharkTums
A.J. wrote:EDIT: You really didn't have to post this three times. Once is enough.


Agreed. The boards are busy enough that you already got answers in two threads. I got rid of the third.

Re: WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:01 am
by jedimaster1227
Be sure to check out the huge new update on Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge in the Disneyland Resort Discussion Thread! You can find out lots of new details about this massive expansion that will open at Disney's Hollywood Studios in fall 2019!

Re: WDW Disney's Hollywood Studios Discussion Thread

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:35 am
by SharkTums
^I'm actually really happy Disneyland's is opening first. I feel like WDW will be watching super carefully and learning a ton and hopefully when this one opens it won't have as many 'growing pains'.