IAAPA 2019 Trade Show Updates from TPR!

Day 2: VR, arcades and new themed entertainment concepts!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Donkey.

Re: IAAPA 2019 Trade Show Updates from TPR!

Postby Pedrinho » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:07 pm

Thanks for giving us all the insights! I really appreciate it!
Top: Wood: Beast|Mystic Timbers|Wodan|Twister|Phoenix; Dive: Valravn; Wing: Flug der Dämonen|GateKeeper; Launch: Top Thrill Dragster|Karacho; Floorless: Rougarou; Invert: Banshee|Raptor|Monster; Bob: Flying Turns; <200ft: Expedition GeForce|Maverick; >200ft: Magnum XL-200; >300ft: Millennium Force; Mine: Colorado Adventure; Boomerang: Raik; Hybrid: Cyclone
Bucket List: Steel Vengeance|FLY|Formula Rossa|Blue Gemini|Colossos|Kennywood|Hersheypark

What would donkeys be like on the moon?

Postby bigboy » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:31 am

prozach626 wrote:It's hard for some people to come to grips that IAAPA isn't a playground for enthusiasts. This isn't intended to be an all-you-can-eat carnival food buffet with a side of toys and models. IAAPA's intentions are business oriented.

^This^ x 100. I've attended the show for work a dozen or so times over the last 20 years, and while I won't pretend to have any significant insight, I feel pretty comfortable saying that the overwhelming majority of the 25-30k buyers that attend are there for networking and practical ideas and education sessions that will make their everyday job easier. The audience that the new hotness is aimed at is pretty narrow. For the most part, the show floor hasn't changed all that much since I first attended in 2000. It was very heavy on VR and access and revenue software and equipment this year. A little light on practical equipment and supplies for the average operator. Inflatables seem to be on a downward trend and the haunted house equipment that came in awhile back was almost non-existent this year. The outside midway area was pretty thin this year and they're now up to 2 tents of exhibitors in the parking lot. It's hard to believe that they've finally outgrown the North/South building after moving the show there in 2003 when things were starting to look a little lean in the struggling economy. The building is about to expand in the coming years and I heard that there's a possibility of part of the show moving back over to the West building.

Counts I305 as 32 credits...

Postby A.J. » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:44 am

bigboy wrote:For the most part, the show floor hasn't changed all that much since I first attended in 2000. It was very heavy on VR and access and revenue software and equipment this year.

Suprisingly, I actually thought that there was less virtual reality stuff than previous years.

It's hard to believe that they've finally outgrown the North/South building after moving the show there in 2003 when things were starting to look a little lean in the struggling economy. The building is about to expand in the coming years and I heard that there's a possibility of part of the show moving back over to the West building.

If I'm not mistaken, this is the first time in recent memory that the first-time exhibitors were put in their own space. Every other year I've gone (7 non-consecutive years since 2011), they've all been in one corner of the main show floor. I'm actually both excited and concerned that the show continues to grow like that.
Data entry nut for the official TPR coaster poll! https://coasterpoll.com/
The opinions that I post on this forum do not necessarily represent those of the company I work for.

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:28 pm

bert425 wrote:thanks for sharing your visit, jedimaster!

Thanks actually go to AJ, Sarah and Jack who were on the show floor taking the photos! I just compiled their daily photos into these reports! =)
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:35 am

prozach626 wrote:
jarmor wrote:Lol the new hyper coaster coming to kings island lol.

Yeah. I'm sure it won't be a successful investment... Roller coaster enthusiasts praise GCI for their classic wooden coaster layouts, but when it comes to B&M's classic steel coaster layouts it's somehow cool to make fun of them. Not everything needs to be ground breaking to be good.

Calm down and come off your soap box. If you would look below my post, you would see where Adam referenced a "Freudian slip" as he had mistakenly stated hyper vs giga. So yes, not everything needs to be groundbreaking and also not everything is making fun of something =) .

A.J. wrote:
KBrylczyk wrote:Remember a few yhears ago when IAAPA was full of awesome stuff, cool new concepts and all that? Recent years it's just been "here's a lead car for a new coaster, here's a lead car for an old coaster, here's a new topping for dippin dots." It's really gone downhill. Where's all the innovation we used to see?

Joey's on the money with this one, especially with S&S, who actually builds full-scale prototypes like coaster companies liked to do in the 80s and 90s. You'll also see new concepts previewed in the brochures and literature that the companies give out, I know Intamin is showing a single-rail like design in their latest one (but only a single image for it). Vekoma did the same for their new Suspended Thrill Coaster design in last year's book.

THIS is how I have been feeling! I don't know if the industry has plateaued or what but it seems like I haven't had the feeling if needing and wanting to go in a while because it's just eating bear claws, riding a flat or two and looking at the cool horror animatronics. Hopefully some new concepts will come in the near future.
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Superbatboy » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:40 am

Wonder if any park bought the discounted Raptor clone RMC was peddling at IAAPA lol
20191124_103826.jpg
1.Skyrush 2.El Toro 3.Fury 325 4.Maverick 5.New Texas Giant 6.Wicked Cyclone 7.Twisted Colossus 8.Superman:TR 9.Millennium Force 10.Apollo's Chariot

token black guy

Postby jarmor » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:00 pm

Interesting! I wonder if a deal fell through for them to be offering it at a discount. I wonder what the price is?!?!? (goes to check bank account and credit score lol)
"B&M will NEVER build a coaster over 300 ft..." until 2012
"Cedar Fair will NEVER build a coaster taller than MF..." until 2015

I love donkeys more than me.

Postby grsupercity » Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:03 pm

Word on the street is the big air hamster ball coaster sold to Craigs Cruisers FEC in Grand Rapids mi
After riding Lightning Run I can not understand why parks are not lining up to buy some Hyper GTX models. That little ride rocks

Previous

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!