Photo TR: Adam's Return to Japan & 1st visit to Hong Kong

P. 7: HKDL Day 2 Part 2: Rides, shows, food & nighttime fun!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Site Admin

Re: Photo TR: Adam's Return to Japan & 1st visit to Hong Kon

Postby SharkTums » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:35 am

^I'm so confused by the Japanese animal rights movement...especially when it comes to sea creatures!!!

Delicious & Refreshing

Re: Photo TR: Adam's Return to Japan & 1st visit to Hong UJ1

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:54 pm

After our fantastic day in Osaka, it was time to experience our first ever Universal Studios park outside of the USA. I'd read/observed for years that this was a "best hits" of Universal park plus some exclusive offerings... A smattering of popular attractions from the stateside parks, plussed with a few unique experiences. I'd prepared for insane crowds and decided with Robb & Elissa's advice to splurge on Express Passes for the park. I researched the park heavily and with my planned Express Pass (I went with the maximum non-unlimited option for seven attractions) lineup, I figured out which attractions to go to in a rough order that would minimize the wait times and maximize our time in the park.

As researched proved, the park gets absolutely swamped, even before officially opening its gates. Express Pass is an absolute must. We visited during the Universal Cool Japan festival, which also impacted the way we experienced certain attractions.

This was also a neat park for me because it gave me the opportunity to experience a few new things, a few old favorites and one of the most intense coasters I've ever been on. The park experience from morning to night was almost entirely fantastic, with the operation of Space Fantasy's Lupin the Third coaster and The Flying Dinosaur being the only disappointments of the day. But much like how Tokyo's parks take the best of Disney's stateside experiences and makes them better, Universal Japan has managed to take popular attractions and lands like Jurassic Park and Despicable Me and make them better with their own execution. I wish we had more time at the resort to breath and visit CityWalk, and for this reason we both agreed Osaka would be back on our plans for our next visit to Japan.
1.JPG
I woke up that morning to a breakfast of fluffy cheesecake... With fluff in my belly and Jaws in my soul, it was time to roll.
2.JPG
Similar but different.
3.JPG
I'd been told Hollywood Dream was a pretty standard mini-B&M hyper, but I was unreasonably excited to experience it.
4.JPG
I'm not ashamed to say I have wished for years that this is what Florida got instead of Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit!
5.JPG
Since it wasn't included in our Express Pass package, we went straight to the Lupin the Third XR coaster, an overlay of Space Fantasy.
6.JPG
The queue has received a minor overlay to support the story of the anime... Which I had no background in, and didn't really need to understand to enjoy the experience.
7.JPG
My research on the park strongly recommended waiting in the Single Rider queue to avoid a 2-3 hour wait. As it turns out, this would cut our wait time down to 65 minutes.
8.JPG
Even though the coaster has seating forward facing and back, during the Universal Cool Japan XR Coaster overlays the coaster only loads the front facing seats... Which cuts the popular ride's capacity in half...
9.JPG
The story of the coaster is that you're on a chase with Lupin the Third through the city...
10.JPG
I rode the first half of the coaster with the VR on since I'd not been on many VR coasters (and none that were spinning coasters) and I was really impressed with the synchronicity of the movement of the coaster with the visuals. That being said, I was curious to see just how much of Space Fantasy was still active to be seen without the goggles, so about halfway through I lifted my visor enough to get a glimpse. Pretty much all of the lighting effects from the regular ride remained on to see without the VR headset... Having seen what I did, I really wished I could have experienced the normal coaster without the VR. I'm glad they've pulled the XR experiences off of this coaster for the upcoming Universal Cool Japan.
11.JPG
Overall a neat experience but the coaster would be better suited to operate without the XR Coaster overlays.
44.JPG
Similar but different...
15.JPG
Backdraft was an experience I was really interested to try for myself having never gotten to Hollywood's park in time to try it out (construction of Transformers: The Ride was already under way during my first visit to Universal Studios Hollywood).

It was like an alternate universe Twister-meets-Earthquake, with the interludes from the film director/cast and the multiple pre-shows before the big finale effects room.
16.JPG
Overall, this was a really fun and unique attraction... I can only imagine what it costs to operate.
17.JPG
FIERY WATER!!!
18.JPG
Fun Fact: The film that inspired this attraction now has a direct to video sequel for some reason. I've not seen either of these films.
19.JPG
My wife got super excited about the fact that Beetlejuice's Graveyard Revue lives on (in a way) at Universal Studios Japan.
20.JPG
It is just as cheesy as you remembered. This version of the show matches the one that ran at Universal Studios Florida from 2006 - 2014 (the show closed to make way for Fast and Furious: Supercharged in 2016).
21.JPG
This is about the best "close up" photo I could get of Hollywood Dream from the queue. The park is *extremely* strict when it comes to loose articles and anything in your pockets that you choose not to put in a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo gets carried with you in a plastic basket to be put on the side of the station... Basically, the moral of the story here is just put your stuff in a fluffy, fluffy bunny filled with medicine and goo for this and The Flying Dinosaur.
22.JPG
Sing! Live was under construction during our visit. As someone that enjoyed the film, I'm curious to see how this turns out and if it eventually ends up stateside.
23.JPG
Mel's looks VERY different here.
24.JPG
The body of water in the center of this park is much larger than the one at Universal Studios Florida... And it is even more strange to see Jurassic Park in the corner where I'd expect to find Diagon Alley and Fear Factor Live!
25.JPG
Hollywood Dream was not particularly intense, but it was silky smooth and had some great pops of air. I absolutely prefer it to Rip, Ride, Rockit.
26.JPG
A very strange Bollywood Sesame Street show was running during our visit.
27.JPG
No Jimmy Fallon here.
28.JPG
These guests really love Minions!
29.JPG
I would've enjoyed this visual a lot more if I had gotten MY CUP OF COFFEE!!!

(Japanese Spider-Man was equally as fun as its Floridian sibling.)
30.JPG
I was incredibly intrigued to see how Super Silly Fun Land would turn out, knowing that Despicable Me Minion Mayhem took over Back to the Future: The Ride.
31.JPG
Such an interesting view...
32.JPG
I was very tempted.
33.JPG
I absolutely love that Richter's is a Coca-Cola-themed quick service eatery here... Sadly there was nothing for my wife to eat here but I loved the theme nonetheless.
34.JPG
Super Silly Fun Land really is an insanely detailed plaza!
35.JPG
I remembered to take a photo of the sign for Larry, but not the ride itself... Shame on me.
36.JPG
Some of the best carnival games I've ever seen in a park.
37.JPG
Practically ripped from the films!
38.JPG
Since it was Easter time during our visit, the land received some slight updates to match the season.
39.JPG
Tons of references from the film Minions too!
40.JPG
I can't deny how much I enjoy these films.
41.JPG
A hidden nod to Snowball from The Secret Life of Pets films, another Illuminations Entertainment production.
43.JPG
The land is overflowing with detail!
42.JPG
Time to head in!
12.JPG
The pre-show starts off the same as those found in Florida and Hollywood...
13.JPG
But given the fact that the ride leverages a different ride system (the Back to the Future: The Ride system versus Hanna-Barbera), there was an added loading video that played before you board.
14.JPG
Having ridden both ride system versions, I can honestly say that this is the better execution of the concept. The huge screen and increased range of motion in the simulator pods makes this a much more immersive experience. The ride film even features adding beginning and ending segments to better match the setup of this attraction's ride system.
46.JPG
For Larry...
45.JPG
KING BOB!!!!
48.JPG
I'm so happy to be home in Amity!
47.JPG
Hello beautiful!
49.JPG
It does exist!
50.JPG
One for the books...
51.JPG
The queue for Jaws in Japan is a little different than the one that existed in Florida...
52.JPG
But it is filled with some really fun details!
53.JPG
Well worth the wait!
54.JPG
Details...
55.JPG
Details...
56.JPG
Details...
57.JPG
I know you. I photo'd you once upon a dream.
58.JPG
A sight for sore eyes!
59.JPG
Time to find some dolphins!
60.JPG
Amity 6 to base!
61.JPG
SHAAAAAAAAARKKKKKKKUUUUUU!!!!
62.JPG
Quint's will be safe... For sure. Definitely.
63.JPG
Wrong.
64.JPG
FIRE!!!
65.JPG
Somewhere under the rainbow...
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:05 pm.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Delicious & Refreshing

Re: Photo TR: Adam's Return to Japan & 1st visit to Hong UJ2

Postby jedimaster1227 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:54 pm

(Continued)
66.JPG
A tad bit overcooked...
67.JPG
I love this.
68.JPG
Yes, they have Jurassic Park: The Ride here. No, we did not ride it, because it was cold and we didn't want to be cold and wet.
69.JPG
Long had I waited for this moment.
70.JPG
The Flying Dinosaur changes the entire atmosphere of Jurassic Park.
71.JPG
I hate Turkey Legs with a passion, but I was tempted to buy one just for this dinosaur grip.
72.JPG
The lead car is gorgeous.
73.JPG
Even with my Express Pass, I still waited 1.5 hours to ride The Flying Dinosaur. The operations on this coaster were incredibly disappointing...
74.JPG
I give them credit for theming the station in such an intense manner... But aren't we supposed to be keeping the dinosaurs in and the people out?
75.JPG
Familiar...
76.JPG
But different.
77.JPG
I've now visited Hogwarts via three different portkeys around the world.
78.JPG
I've taken this photo many times before and yet this was the first time I'd taken this photo.
79.JPG
Pretty close to similar.
80.JPG
Same fun family coaster...
81.JPG
And equipped with a wheelchair seat!
82.JPG
No Magical Motorbike Creature Adventures for Hagrid.
83.JPG
The path leading to Hogsmeade is long and winding and does a good job of separating the land from the rest of the park.
84.JPG
The "Black Lake" was created thanks to the waterfront location of the land, and it is incredibly effective.
85.JPG
Otherwise very similar to what we have back home.
86.JPG
We ended up eating at the Three Broomsticks for lunch... Comparable food to what you'd find back home.
87.JPG
Though this plate of profiteroles was definitely new, so I had to order it.
88.JPG
BUTTERBEER!!!
89.JPG
They sell gum here!
90.JPG
I can't take this to the other park...
91.JPG
I love the marquee.
92.JPG
The Flying Dinosaur was easily the most intense, insane flying coaster I've been on... And one of the most intense coasters I've ridden ever, anywhere. It is like B&M woke up from their funk of forceless coasters for a brief moment to design this ridiculous coaster. The inside raven turn is one of the most forceful maneuvers I've ever experienced, and it is followed quickly by a tight pretzel loop. This thing took the wind out of me in the best way. I wish this ride was closer to home... It scares me how good it is.
93.JPG
Night shots.
94.JPG
I still feel my ribs being pressed down from this maneuver.
95.JPG
YES PLEASE!
96.JPG
BEST QUICK SERVICE MEAL EVER!
97.JPG
I love everything about these stacked track elements. This is a Rollercoaster Tycoon fantasy of mine, fleshed out in reality.
98.JPG
So much fun!
99.JPG
I love that the brake run cuts through the Pantages facade.
100.JPG
I nearly left the park without remembering to visit Universal Wonderland. I've always been amazed that Universal was able to create a land where Sesame Street, Snoopy and Hello Kitty characters all coexisted.
101.JPG
The land is kind of amazing inside and out.
102.JPG
We had to run back to the Hollywood section of the park to grab a spot for Universal's Spectacle Night Parade. The parade features floats from Harry Potter, Jurassic World, Transformers and Despicable Me, and the floats are supplemented by projection mapping to make this an incredible show-style experience in passing.
103.JPG
The Hogwarts Express float was really a great way to start the show.
104.JPG
Dementors on the train!
105.JPG
The Quidditch float featured wizards flying on brooms, which was a neat effect.
106.JPG
Bumblebee leads the Transformers segment of the parade.
107.JPG
Megatron's float is huge!
108.JPG
Optimus Prime transforms from a truck to his full form in a really clever effect.
109.JPG
The Jurassic World section was surprising...
110.JPG
Dinosaurs started to be carted in behind fenced paddocks...
111.JPG
But these dinosaurs would escape...
112.JPG
You bred raptors?
113.JPG
They escaped.
114.JPG
The T-Rex float is absolutely the star of the show.
115.JPG
She's incredible!
116.JPG
The finale of the parade features a series of Despicable Me/Minions floats...
117.JPG
A good time for sure.
118.JPG
So colorful!
119.JPG
We ran out of time to experience Terminator 2: 3D, but it wasn't a huge loss considering the Florida version closed not too long ago.
120.JPG
Time for some typical tourist shots.
121.JPG
I love how Hollywood Dream frames the Hollywood coverings.
122.JPG
And that the path of the coaster doubles back over the same hill.
125.JPG
Yep, I did it.
126.JPG
Backdrop has its own color scheme for its lighting and trains.
127.JPG
Arriving two hours before opening and leaving an hour after close, we were exhausted... But we had little time to rest, as the next morning we'd be headed to Kyoto.
Last edited by jedimaster1227 on Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:06 pm.
Change the scheme, Alter the mood! Electrify the boys and girls if you would be so kind!

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:17 pm

Why is all of the food in Japan amazingly themed, amazing, and detailed!?!? The Chomp Mitten for the Turkey Leg is incredible and I almost bought some of that Jaws food last time even though I wouldn't eat it just because I loved the presentation so much!

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Garet » Tue Dec 17, 2019 6:49 pm

I didn't know that you ended up with a 90-minute wait even with Express passes for Flying Dinosaur... that's disappointing, I really want to hop over since it's only an hour wait but the huge price they've raised the express passes to compared to my previous visits pre-Potter puts me off. I heard from friends teaching in Japan they've used the single rider line for an hour-80 minute wait which seems pretty shocking that it's quicker than a paid pass

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby bert425 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:44 pm

fantastic pics, and really surprising to see just how MUCH the park changed things in just the 6 months difference from Easter to Halloween - when I was there (early Oct).

some spots look completely different!

I only saw the Halloween Parade, and tho it was great even with the one long song that just got played on every float thruout (and I got a wink from one of the singers on a float). . I would have loved to see this themed parade you saw. that looked so much fun!
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/19fc64eae2ec826e3a662d1ff9f29ab9.jpg[/img][/url]

"It's not small, but it is very 'average.'"

Postby Jew » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:47 pm

Garet wrote:I didn't know that you ended up with a 90-minute wait even with Express passes for Flying Dinosaur... that's disappointing, I really want to hop over since it's only an hour wait but the huge price they've raised the express passes to compared to my previous visits pre-Potter puts me off. I heard from friends teaching in Japan they've used the single rider line for an hour-80 minute wait which seems pretty shocking that it's quicker than a paid pass

Express worked great during our visit in October! Of course, that was day before typhoon was to hit, so that probably impacted the crowds.

Was able to get a ride at park opening using single rider with a walk on, express later in the day was only 15, and even got a second night time express ride (granted HHN stuff was in going on) waiting about 20 min.

I prefer to mate with donkeys over humans!

Postby Garet » Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:51 pm

^ That sounds more reasonable. They're teachers like me so their trips are the same time mine would be, on weekends or when school is out which might explain their waits.

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:35 am

^^&^ Exactly, I'm thinking Adam must have run into some extraordinary conditions or problems. I mean, he's right, the operations on that ride aren't super capacity amazing, but Express should never have been more than like 40 min (which is what I believe we waited during the Christmas busy holiday season once).

Delicious & Refreshing

Postby jedimaster1227 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 6:52 am

^It definitely felt odd considering that everything else with Express that day worked pretty well. The ride never seemed to stop operating while we queued, it just moved incredibly slow... The worst thing that came of the line taking longer than expected was we had to choose between Terminator and the parade as we were running out of time... And the parade was the right choice to make.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!