Erik & Smisty's Evergreen Oddventures

Miners Landing (with special guest star, Goldballs) - Page 3
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Re: Erik & Smisty's Evergreen Oddventures

Postby cfc » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:29 am

Ahem! Everyone knows that Ashland, Virginia, is the CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Philrad71 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:26 pm

Great report!

I was there a year ago and loved it. Got to see the same stuff, plus catch Thee Oh Sees at Neuros two nights in a row.

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:41 pm

cfc wrote:Ahem! Everyone knows that Ashland, Virginia, is the CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE.

I don't know. The watch thing makes Fremont's claim seem a little more legitimate.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby DILinator » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:08 am

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Seattle (it's my favorite city!), and love the Seattle Center and Space Needle! Thanks for the pictures! I definitely hope to get back out there some day, and these really bring back the memories of my last visit! =)

As you can see below, I'm a major Seattle Mariners fan, as depressing as that may be! :lol:
20180330_175351.jpg

I look forward to the rest of your ODDventure photos from there!

Top 10 Coasters! 1.Steel Vengeance 2.Fury 3.Millennium Force 4.Maverick 5. Twisted Timbers 6. The Voyage 7. Lightning Rod 8.Storm Chaser 9.El Toro 10. Leviathan Honorable Mentions: Phantom's Revenge, Behemoth, Mako, Ravine Flyer II, Shivering Timbers, Kraken Underrated Coasters: Steel - Yukon Striker, Wood - White Lightning

I've gone pantless!

Location: In the lair of the Huge Hummel Boy (which is conveniently located near Williamsburg, Va.)

Postby cfc » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:42 am

Electerik wrote:
cfc wrote:Ahem! Everyone knows that Ashland, Virginia, is the CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE.

I don't know. The watch thing makes Fremont's claim seem a little more legitimate.

Or maybe just a strongly worded letter to the editor.

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Wed Oct 16, 2019 3:37 pm

In South Central Washington State, there exists a city that really likes dinosaurs.

Like, a lot.

Granger, Washington: "Where Dinosaurs Roam"
01 IMG_20190923_115159c.jpg
Granger was founded in 1902 and named after Walter Granger, inventor of the mechanical pencil and well-known "scaly."
03 IMG_20190923_120553c.jpg
Fun fact: The city of Granger loves trash almost as much as it loves dinosaurs, and according to the original town charter, visitors can actually be fined for disposing of rubbish into proper receptacles.
14 IMG_20190923_120617d.jpg
Across the street from the park pictured previously is another park, or maybe the same park, I don't know, I'm not a scientist.
22 IMG_20190923_115513.jpg
Pictured here is the Dino Store (which was closed), a public restroom shaped like a volcano (which was also closed, but there were porta potties, so I guess that's a win), and a dinosaur statue (which obviously was never designed to be entered, weirdo).
24 IMG_20190923_120226.jpg
Note the water feature not featuring water. I'm starting to think that Granger has seen better days.
31 IMG_20190923_115343h.jpg
Hisey Park (named after Walter Granger's wife, Dino) also features a lake and this ambitiously named "amphitheater."
33 IMG_20190923_130709.jpg
There's a walking path around the lake, but it's not for the faint of heart. Also, every bug lives here, or has at least visited once.
35 IMG_20190923_131800b.jpg
There are rewards to walking the path, though, like this gimp apatosaurus.
39 IMG_20190923_125446c.jpg
Julie Sharp is not a candidate who is concerned with being endorsed by career politicians. Julie Sharp is a candidate who is concerned with endorsements from dinosaurs and their human pets.
42 IMG_20190923_124835b.jpg
Granger is currently home to 32 dinosaurs, and they try to add a new one every year. It was originally started as a way to revitalize their business district, but I'm not entirely convinced that it worked because there wasn't anything in Granger that could be described as a business district.

On the other hand, it brought *us* there, and building dinosaur statues was clearly better than the other three ideas that were originally proposed, which were: 1. attempting a world's record for largest swimming pool filled entirely with apple juice, 2. building a 9/11 memorial out near the freeway, or 3. billing themselves as the Center of the Universe.
44 IMG_20190923_124940c.jpg
Except for a couple of fast food places located in the two gas stations right off of the highway, this appears to be the only "restaurant" in town. Don't let the boarded up windows scare you.
48 IMG_20190923_122021.jpg
And it's really more of a Mexican grocery store. To be fair, though, the food was really good.
49 IMG_20190923_114326.jpg
One of the previously mentioned gas stations.
50 IMG_20190923_114015.jpg
There's a map of the city in the background on the left that will help you find the various dinosaur statues, should you ever find yourself in Granger. According to this map, there's also supposed to be a statue of a caveman, but we could not find it, and that makes me sad.
62 IMG_20190923_114339.jpg
The, um, 9/11 memorial.
66 IMG_20190923_114056.jpg
So there you have it. Granger, Washington. We went out of our way to visit. But I guess the real question is, should you?

Well, let me put it this way:

No.
Last edited by Electerik on Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:37 pm.

BAYSIDE STATION!!!

Postby Nrthwnd » Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:23 pm

Interesting that there is so big a memorial to 9/11. Makes me wonder what other small-ish towns or cities do this as well as Granger. Great Dino Tour! But don't POP QUIZ me on this. I was avoiding the flora on that pathway you noted, and forgot everything. :wink:

EDIT: I looked it up. Over 700 memorials across the nation!
Talk is Cheap :idea: Action is Pricele$$

I wrote the book about donkeys!

Postby mark549 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:38 pm

There should be a Sinclair gas station in that town (their logo is a dinosaur). http://www.sinclairoil.com

Some recommendations:

Here is a nearby odd adventure (which I have done): https://manhattanprojectbreactor.hanford.gov

Afterwards you could drink a Plutonium Porter at https://www.atomicalebrewpub.com/on-tap.html (didn't go).

I recommend seeing some site that highlights the Missoula / Ice Age floods which scoured that whole region.

https://parks.state.wa.us/298/Sun-Lakes-Dry-Falls
"Dry Falls is a geological wonder of North America. Carved by Ice Age floods more than 13,000 years ago, the former waterfall was once four times the size of Niagara Falls. Today, the 400-foot-high, 3.5-mile-wide cliff overlooks a big sky and a landscape of deep gorges and dark, reflective lakes."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missoula_Floods

I'm surprised that Silverwood doesn't theme one of their water rides to this, the largest known floods anywhere. They are next to the inundation zone.

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:12 pm

mark549 wrote:Afterwards you could drink a Plutonium Porter at https://www.atomicalebrewpub.com/on-tap.html

Thanks for the suggestions! This one isn't really our thing, though. You're thinking of nearly everyone else on this site! :p

Permanent Tourist

Postby Electerik » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:07 pm

Interlude
IMG_5283b.jpg
Perhaps my favorite street sign ever once sat at First Avenue and Denny Way in Seattle. Sadly, it has now been replaced with a much less interesting version. But I'll always have my memories--and also this photo, of course.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!