Southern California trip

Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Southern California trip

Postby AndrewA86 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:38 pm

Hey all, I’m planning a trip to So. Cal for New Years. The plan is to spend 2 days at Knott’s and SFMM each, and go to the rose bowl. I think I have a solid game plan but if I’m overlooking something I’d like to know.

I’m planning on flying into John Wayne on the 29th and spending the 30th and 31st at Knott’s , rose bowl on the 1st, and then Magic mountain on the 2nd and 3rd. Fly back on the 4th from LAX.

I’m planning on using Uber to get around. I’ve heard of LA traffic my whole life and have no desire to rent a car and drive in it. But if you can think of a reason why I should I’d like to hear it. And I’d also like any recommendations on places to stay if you have any.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to buy a vowel!

Re: Southern California trip

Postby KBrylczyk » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:27 pm

Might want to look at a map before making the decision to use Uber, bud.
Image[url=http://www.clubtpr.com][img]http://www.clubtpr.com/images/memberbanners/539c3534a7c7084b61a754366e69a2bf.jpg[/img][/url]

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:30 pm

Rental cars are insanely cheap in LA. I paid $11 a day last time I was there.

Postby AndrewA86 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:36 pm

KBrylczyk wrote:Might want to look at a map before making the decision to use Uber, bud.

I know it will be expensive, if that’s what you’re getting at..

Postby AndrewA86 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:38 pm

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Rental cars are insanely cheap in LA. I paid $11 a day last time I was there.

Wow, interesting. I just don’t want to actually drive in the traffic.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby ytterbiumanalyst » Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:39 pm

Ok, it doesn't sound like you do want to hear any reasons why you should rent a car. Have fun on your trip.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby joelwee » Wed Sep 18, 2019 6:37 pm

One thing to consider is that both of those parks tend to be insanely packed around New Year's. Magic Mountain even reached capacity on Dec. 30 last year.
Personally, I'm avoiding those parks like the plague around that time, but if you still decide to go, definitely budget for Fast Lane and Flash Pass.
Seat, don't fail me now!

I'm a know-it-all about donkeys!

Postby clem2754 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:42 pm

AndrewA86 wrote:Hey all, I’m planning a trip to So. Cal for New Years. The plan is to spend 2 days at Knott’s and SFMM each, and go to the rose bowl. I think I have a solid game plan but if I’m overlooking something I’d like to know.

I’m planning on flying into John Wayne on the 29th and spending the 30th and 31st at Knott’s , rose bowl on the 1st, and then Magic mountain on the 2nd and 3rd. Fly back on the 4th from LAX.

I’m planning on using Uber to get around. I’ve heard of LA traffic my whole life and have no desire to rent a car and drive in it. But if you can think of a reason why I should I’d like to hear it. And I’d also like any recommendations on places to stay if you have any.

Thanks!

LA Traffic is worse during the week days rush hour traffic. It may take 90-120 minutes to go from downtown Los Angeles to Santa Monica, which should take like 15 minutes top. On the weekends, you get some stop and go traffic, but you can generally get around. It may take like 60 minutes to go 30 miles. Traffic is generally worse as the day goes on during the weekend. The Rose Bowl will be a challenge to get in and out of. The traffic & Parking will be a challenge. You also have the rose bowl parade which is a huge deal as well. You have option to get in and out of the Knott's area. Six Flags Magic Mountain is easy to get in and out of. On the last night I would stay as close to LAX as possible. A lot of construction is happening at LAX and if it is busy it could take 30 minutes just to get dropped off.
Your other problem as people have discuss is how busy the parks will be. Knott's is always busy, but during the holidays it just increases. Six Flags Magic Mountain hit capacity last year on the 30th. That means like 2.5-3 hour wait for X2. You go during a non-peak time and X2 is a walk on. I don't think this year will be any different and if West Coast Racers opens in November it will just add to it. Plan to buy Fast Lane and Fast Passes as you will need these.

When I grow up, I want to breed donkeys!

Postby Mike240SX » Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:21 pm

Uber is not a magic carpet around traffic, that 3-hours-to-go-15-miles will still take just as long, you just won't be driving it - instead you'll be paying an exorbitant amount to your driver. If you don't mind $100+ Uber trips (I may be exaggerating), more power to you.
-Mike
Total Coasters: 134
Top 10 Steel: Maverick, Skyrush, Intimidator 305, Banshee, Millennium Force, Raptor, Superman: The Ride (SFNE), Top Thrill Dragster, Big Bad Wolf, Volcano
Top 10 Wood: The Beast, El Toro, Phoenix (Knoebels), Boulder Dash, Thunderbolt (KW), Mystic Timbers, Comet (Hershey), Hercules, Shivering Timbers, Jack Rabbit (KW)
Top 5 Hybrid: Twisted Timbers, Goliath (SFGAm), Wicked Cyclone, Great White, Gemini

Postby AndrewA86 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:52 am

ytterbiumanalyst wrote:Ok, it doesn't sound like you do want to hear any reasons why you should rent a car. Have fun on your trip.

Actually I do, because if there’s a reason that trumps why I don’t want to I’d like to hear it.

Next

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!