TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coney Island Cincinnati closing all amusement rides

Coney Island removing all rides at the end of the season

The park intends to focus on 'enhanced water park experience'

coney_entrance0-b779372d5056b3a_b7793b92-5056-b3a8-4945bab45bf27328.jpg

Image Source: Cincinnati convention and visitors bureau

CINCINNATI — Coney Island has announced it will remove all amusement park rides at the end of September.

According to a press release, the park intends to instead focus on the Sunlite Pool and other water-related recreational amenities.

"All of our consumer research, all of our consumer feedback, and all of our in-park data shows that the vast majority of our guests come to Coney Island because of the fun they have while in the Sunlite Pool area," said Rob Schutter, Jr., president and CEO of Coney Island, in a press release.

The press release said over the past few years, Coney Island has split focus and resources between the rides and the Sunlite Water Adventure area, but have decided to switch gears to focus on exclusively on the water park area moving forward.

The park said it also plans to create additional spaces for popular events like the Appalachian Festival and Summerfair Cincinnati, to provide event spaces for other community festivals and events in the future.

Earlier this year, Coney Island also announced it's annual Fall-O-Ween event would not return in 2019 .

The final day guests will be able to enjoy the rides at Coney Island is Sept. 21.

Source: WCPO Cincinnati

Edited by coasterbill

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We visited this park a few years ago and had nothing but good things to say about it. It was a cute little place. This is a shame.

It was a nice little park but I 100% understand their decision. Most of the rides they had were probably decades old, not getting any newer, and probably needing more and more new parts and maintenance every year. There comes a time where you have to decide "are we all in on 'old rides' or are we buying new replacements, or shifting the focus someplace else?"

I'm sure they had some sort of metric that showed "people are mostly here for the water park" and with the cost of new slides versus rides, and knowing what the focus their guests in on, this probably makes a lot of sense.

Man, for a bunch of people who probably only went there once, rode the crappy coaster once for the credit, left 30 minutes after they got there and never had any intention of going back these enthusiasts are sure fired up about this.

Again, I liked the place and this is unfortunate but the way to convince them to keep the dry park open was to actually go there and spend money when it was open. That ship has sailed. I’ll never understand the point of these kinds of petitions.

Man, for a bunch of people who probably only went there once, rode the crappy coaster once for the credit, left 30 minutes after they got there and never had any intention of going back these enthusiasts are sure fired up about this.

Again, I liked the place and this is unfortunate but the way to convince them to keep the dry park open was to actually go there and spend money when it was open. That ship has sailed. I’ll never understand the point of these kinds of petitions.

This is the park on the Ohio river that gets devastating floods every so many years, too. That can't help with costs either.

What was worth saving and petitioning was their funky giant wooden-coaster looking pair of slides called the Zoom Floom. That was really unique and tons of fun.

http://coneyislandcentral.com/recent-defunct-rides/zoom-flume/

I feel dumb because I completely forgot this place even existed and I've been in the Cincinnati area for three years now. Shortly before I moved here I remember looking up the awful-looking Zyklon and thinking "maybe one day I'll feel like getting that credit" and then obviously didn't care enough to think about it again for three years.

Given that I never hear locals talking about visiting this park, this is probably a good move. My friend says she really only goes for the pool, and it sounds like that's been the general consensus for the park as well.

A couple of my friends and I are going to make a point to go this weekend, just to experience it before it goes away (one of them has also lived in the area a few years and has never been either, so I guess that further shows something). Anyone else planning on hitting it up this weekend?

I'm saddest about the Rock-o-Plane and hope it finds a new home somewhere. Those are a hoot!!

I completely understand this and hope they are able to add some cool slides and things to the nice areas that we walked around in in the dry park. I have happy memories of this place as it was the first park we wen to on my first ever TPR Trip in 2007. It was the day I met a bunch of amazing people that I'm still friends with today.

With the removal of the rides, Ohio will be without a traditional amusement park that has a regular operating season and Stricker's Grove will be the last traditional park in Ohio. I have been to Coney several times. I have never went there for the pool. I went for a traditional amusement park experience in a park with a rich history. Once before, Coney removed the rides and focused only on the pool and not only did it return as an amusement park, Kings Island arose from the ashes.

I'm saddest about the Rock-o-Plane and hope it finds a new home somewhere. Those are a hoot!!

If this ride bites the dust, I'll be very sad. I understand why the park is making this decision, but I seriously hope most of these flats are finding a new home, especially this one.

Makes sense for them to want to focus on the water park. Water parks are some of the most profitable attractions out there. Whereas at an amusement park, you have to constantly add attractions to keep people's interest, but you can go five years without adding a new slide at a water park, but attendance will still stay relatively the same. Plus the best way to make money is to keep guests inside the park as long as possible. At an amusement park with four rides, you would keep people for maybe an hour. At a water park with four slide complexes, you can keep a family entertained all day. I'd love to see them get a lazy river and a combo raft slide (like what Six Flags keeps getting) in the near future.

I wonder if Six Flags will swoop in and try and purchase these rides... It is not out of the realm of possibility that they would buy these and put them in parks as NEW for 2021... I mean Six Flags over Georgia is getting a scrambler...

I know that it isn't likely but it would be comical.

I wonder if Six Flags will swoop in and try and purchase these rides... It is not out of the realm of possibility that they would buy these and put them in parks as NEW for 2021... I mean Six Flags over Georgia is getting a scrambler...

I can only imagine the day that St. Louis finally gets their new coaster and it's a f**king Galaxi with the last row blocked off.

Or Kings Island, like they did in the past. I mean, KI is getting a newly-themed area and they said there is more information about it to come. It wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility for them to snag a couple flats and put it in the new Area 72 and act like that was the plan all along, even if it wasn't.

Aside from a small handful of FECs getting stuff from Coney Island, I think we could be seeing a couple of those rides go to Alabama Splash Adventure. They seem to be buying rides up from parks that close: Scrambler and Tilt-A-Whirl from Lakemont, YoYo from Lake City, and Galleon from Bowcraft.