Coney Island Cincinnati closing all amusement rides

The waterpark will remain open
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Discuss theme parks, roller coasters, and mules!
Why do I still have a donkey title???

Re: Coney Island Cincinnati closing all amusement rides

Postby coasterbill » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:33 pm

Man, for a bunch of people who probably only went there once, rode the crappy coaster once for the credit, left 30 minutes after they got there and never had any intention of going back these enthusiasts are sure fired up about this. :lol:

Again, I liked the place and this is unfortunate but the way to convince them to keep the dry park open was to actually go there and spend money when it was open. That ship has sailed. I’ll never understand the point of these kinds of petitions.

Jizzy jizz jizz jizz jizz

Postby PKI Jizzman » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:23 pm

coasterbill wrote:

Man, for a bunch of people who probably only went there once, rode the crappy coaster once for the credit, left 30 minutes after they got there and never had any intention of going back these enthusiasts are sure fired up about this. :lol:

Again, I liked the place and this is unfortunate but the way to convince them to keep the dry park open was to actually go there and spend money when it was open. That ship has sailed. I’ll never understand the point of these kinds of petitions.

This is the park on the Ohio river that gets devastating floods every so many years, too. That can't help with costs either.

What was worth saving and petitioning was their funky giant wooden-coaster looking pair of slides called the Zoom Floom. That was really unique and tons of fun.

http://coneyislandcentral.com/recent-defunct-rides/zoom-flume/
{1991} Chicago based. Creative ad world guy with @adultswim @cartoonnetwork World traveler, concert attendee, salsa connoisseur, comic reader, and theme park nerd
IG: photoboothez

Postby RAWKIN_coaster38 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:49 pm

I feel dumb because I completely forgot this place even existed and I've been in the Cincinnati area for three years now. Shortly before I moved here I remember looking up the awful-looking Zyklon and thinking "maybe one day I'll feel like getting that credit" and then obviously didn't care enough to think about it again for three years. :|

Given that I never hear locals talking about visiting this park, this is probably a good move. My friend says she really only goes for the pool, and it sounds like that's been the general consensus for the park as well.

A couple of my friends and I are going to make a point to go this weekend, just to experience it before it goes away (one of them has also lived in the area a few years and has never been either, so I guess that further shows something). Anyone else planning on hitting it up this weekend?
“If toast always lands butter-side down, and cats always land on their feet, what happens if you strap toast on the back of a cat and drop it?”

Site Admin

Postby SharkTums » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:25 am

coasterbill wrote:

:nina:

Postby Canobie Coaster » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:27 am

I bet the people fired up never went and they're mad they won't get the credit. :lol:
Top 3 Wood- Lightning Rod, Voyage, Coaster (PNE Playland)
Top 3 Steel- Steel Vengeance, Untamed, Expedition GeForce
Most Recent Trip Reports- Cinecitta World & Rainbow MagicLand

Postby jynx242 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:29 am

I'm saddest about the Rock-o-Plane and hope it finds a new home somewhere. Those are a hoot!!

I completely understand this and hope they are able to add some cool slides and things to the nice areas that we walked around in in the dry park. I have happy memories of this place as it was the first park we wen to on my first ever TPR Trip in 2007. It was the day I met a bunch of amazing people that I'm still friends with today.

The Marco Polo of Roller Coasters

Postby The Angry Darren Mullins » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:43 am

With the removal of the rides, Ohio will be without a traditional amusement park that has a regular operating season and Stricker's Grove will be the last traditional park in Ohio. I have been to Coney several times. I have never went there for the pool. I went for a traditional amusement park experience in a park with a rich history. Once before, Coney removed the rides and focused only on the pool and not only did it return as an amusement park, Kings Island arose from the ashes.

Bonafide Donkey Expert

Postby Dombot » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:54 am

jynx242 wrote:I'm saddest about the Rock-o-Plane and hope it finds a new home somewhere. Those are a hoot!!

If this ride bites the dust, I'll be very sad. I understand why the park is making this decision, but I seriously hope most of these flats are finding a new home, especially this one. :(
1. Intimidator 305 2. Kumba 3. Twisted Timbers 4. Goliath (SFoG) 5. Mako
6. Twisted Cyclone 7. Alpengeist 8. Mine Blower 9. Montu 10. Incredible Hulk

"If you trip me I will crumble and fall because I am a poorly structured building" ~Carson King

Postby VF15 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:23 am

That’s unfortunate to hear. I’m starting to regret skipping this park when I was in Cincinnati back in July, as it looked like a fun little park. Oh well...
Valleyfair Ride Operator
2016 - Wild Thing
2017 - Wild Thing/Xtreme Swing
2018 - Steel Venom/Scrambler

Cedar Point Ride Operator
2019 - Cedar Creek Mine Ride

There is no such thing as a donkey punch.

Postby LegendLover » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:37 am

Makes sense for them to want to focus on the water park. Water parks are some of the most profitable attractions out there. Whereas at an amusement park, you have to constantly add attractions to keep people's interest, but you can go five years without adding a new slide at a water park, but attendance will still stay relatively the same. Plus the best way to make money is to keep guests inside the park as long as possible. At an amusement park with four rides, you would keep people for maybe an hour. At a water park with four slide complexes, you can keep a family entertained all day. I'd love to see them get a lazy river and a combo raft slide (like what Six Flags keeps getting) in the near future.

PreviousNext

Return to Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, & Donkeys!